• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should USF focus on Basketball rather than Football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Antigua was to basketball as _______ was to football.  We are much further ahead in football now and basketball will take time but we will get there in  time. 

Edited by Maryland Bull

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Football is where the $ and the future of USF athletics is...the rest is window dressing. That does not mean we can't enjoy the other sports but at then end of the day the financial impact is directed toward football.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Single handedly?  Guess you were not here in the Mccullum days or firing of Heath.  Then the Massiello fiasco.  

Basketball has been a mess for a long time.  There have been quite a few contributors to the mess and it has not been a short term thing.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,352
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Single handedly?  Guess you were not here in the Mccullum days or firing of Heath.  Then the Massiello fiasco.  

Basketball has been a mess for a long time.  There have been quite a few contributors to the mess and it has not been a short term thing.

Not Muccullum but the rest yes. I mean I've never seen or heard of such a mass exodus of players under one coach. Have you?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  262
  • Days Won:  2

I just think even if you're not "making" money with football, the marketing it brings your school and brand is excellent.  2007-09 football success did great things for our beloved university IMO.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, I can agree with the marketing aspect. I loved being up north and having people stop me to comment on my USF gear back in 2007/8. I just feel like the changing landscape of football seems like such an uphill battle that I'm not sure we can win. I would feel better about it if we could average 40k a game, but even with our best team ever, our support seems amateur at best. Without solid and consistent support, the task feels daunting. 

Edited by michibull

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Wow - Women's Basektball, Football, and "All other sports combine" COST about the same amount of money. I also look at these as marketing expenses and really only one of them appears radical out of line with the expected return.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Given our success in hoops since the beginning of time it seems best to just focus on that.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, BullsBoltsJagsRays said:

I just think even if you're not "making" money with football, the marketing it brings your school and brand is excellent.  2007-09 football success did great things for our beloved university IMO.

Read an article back in the day quoting Judy that we had the highest rate of increase in applicants' grades and SAT scores ever, and it was mainly due to the prestige from the football team.