• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critiquing Joey Knight

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

21 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Could we just get a USF alimuni?

I'd settle for someone without the last name Knight, I find that word offensive.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

45 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I was just going to write your point at the end but did not as I believe that the intent of a journalist is the same as a columnist...to rankle the feathers of the reader. If you notice many journalist still interject their opinion in the articles they right. This is typically done at the end of the article or in the headline itself. Further, by having a Twitter and/or Facebook account many are making themselves more than the article by giving personal positions on topics. The number of good sports journalist may exist, but from my perspective (relative to the teams I follow), I can count them in one hand. 

Tampa, as a market as a whole, is terrible for sports coverage, both in print, on TV, and on the radio. Our sports talk radio has to be the worst out of any top 20 market, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't necessarily do better than JK. 

As an aside, it usually isn't the reporter that chooses the headline. Their editors do that for them. I interned for about a year in high school at the (then) St. Petersburg Times' West Pasco branch, so I have a little bit of insight. I authored some epic articles covering whatever high school sporting events Pete Young and Jamal Thalji didn't feel like covering that weekend usually district tennis tournaments and cross country races. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

While I think the odds are good that we get someone that has a similar level of "passion" and "respect" for the job that Joey shows, we also COULD get someone that is excited to be covering the Bulls and would do so with the panache that Greg once had.

Odds are if JK leaves they'll just add his work load to Matt Baker ....... so be careful what you ask for.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Odds are if JK leaves they'll just add his work load to Matt Baker ....... so be careful what you ask for.

Probably correct. What I really wish for is JK to stop half-assing it and put some effort into his career. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Probably correct. What I really wish for is JK to stop half-assing it and put some effort into his career. 

Hey now. I've logged a solid 18 years of half-assing my work. JK doesn't suck because he doesn't put in any effort, he sucks AND he doesn't put in any effort.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Outside of his attendance obsession, I really don't think he's all that bad. Some of the stuff he gets dinged for is ******* ridiculous ..... but far be it from me to try and head off the lynch mob.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

How long can we keep the Joey Knight rage going?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

..... but far be it from me to try and head off the lynch mob.

You forgot one of your favorite, and classic, smilies:

:angrymob:

I have found utilizing a third party in the media is not much different than using any third party.   I trust my eyes and what I read on the official site.  I don’t need faux controversy.