• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I thought you tapped out ....?

he couldn't argue against my response so to save face he decided to call it a draw.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

50 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

so in other words  you have no reason why Southern Miss can sign these deals but we couldn't

Louisianna-Lafayette $1.525M to play Ole Miss

$1.25M to play Texas A&M

so sunbelt and cusa teams can get these deals but we can't??

26 games according to usa today where a power 5 is paying $1M+ to a lower level FBS program for a one and done this year but we can't get one?

As I mentioned previously, I was told that USF was first offered $1.2 million to play @Clemson in 2021, but turned it down. That is how UConn got that game.

The only one and done we are "considering" is @UF. We can justify doing that as an exception because they are our top instate rival from the SEC.

Our focus is trying to get 2-1 games like with Texas. Not only do we then get a home game with a "name" team, but also get $1 million+ for the extra away game. That is the only way we can get a very attractive home opponent.

Perhaps, our current philosophy of not doing one and done pay games will change in the future. However, at the moment USF believes that doing so now, will hamper our ability to make one and one deals with middle of the pack P5 teams.

For example, Miami seems to be "open" to another home and home series, and we are trying to get that done. If they thought we would just accept a money from them, then they they would not even consider another series.

USF is in a difficult situation.

We need to improve our home attendance.

If schools know we won't do one and done deals, we maintain some negotiating leverage.

USF remains an attractive opponent for many P5 teams and their fans would enjoy having us on their schedule, but they will have to reciprocate with at least one game in Tampa

Don't blame me, I'm just a messenger.

IMO, USF is  now in a better position to make more 2-1 deals with top teams, if we continue to be considered good for their SOS. Playing us might help their schedule to get them into the playoffs. BUT, they will have to give us a home game. RayJay is large enough to host their large fan base.

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

the problem is you're only looking at one side of that argument. a win against us would be better than both a win against c-usa or sunbelt and a loss against more quality opponent.

I agree with the above and if they could guarantee a win I'm sure more of the P5 schools would be interested in playing us in one and done deals.  The problem is they can't guarantee a win against us and for many of those P5 schools there's a good chance they lose so why take the risk?  I'm all for the idea of getting better opponents on our schedule, even if we have to make one and done deals to make it happen.  I just don't think the caliber of school we'd like to play has any incentive to choose us in the current environment.   

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Plus as Mama mentioned, once we start doing one and dones, assuming that we could, it's very hard to negotiate anything else.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

Can we all agree that UMASS is a great and attractive home game for USF and builds the level of excitement needed to take us to the next level?

29 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Can we all agree that UMASS is a great and attractive home game for USF and builds the level of excitement needed to take us to the next level?

USF originally had both Michigan State and Wisconsin on our 2018 schedule.

Michigan State bought out the game. Wisconsin would have as well, if we didn't agree to move it to another year.

So, we ended up with what we now have.

I suppose, we could still buyout our series with UMASS, but since they agreed to move the game after Irma, it would not seem proper to do that. We honor our agreements. 

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

1-and-done games: We should always try to schedule UM, FSU, and uf. Why go they way to Ohio or wherever to play other top programs?

If we get paid, we can actually make money playing these state game --taking a bbbb--busssss saves money.

That's a start.

I don't know about scheduling at all, actually less than that. But if we can dig up teams like San Jose State and Umass to play us, I just feel that there's got to be better options. [I don't throw rocks at my school, so I'll stop there.]

USF has never had a great conference schedule, but it was decent enough to attract more fans. We no longer play TCU (CUSA), Louisville C-USA/BE, WVU, or PITT, some of whom were ranked yearly, and brought a decent number of fans. The BE was considered the worst of the major conferences, but it was still a part of the BCS club.

So, we are left to play with all of the other "rejects."

The only really attractive conference teams we play are UCF, Navy and Houston and we don't get to play them all every year.

In fact, since Navy and Houston are in the West, we only play them two times every four years including one home game.

The rest of the conference is much less attractive to the casual fan.

What we are left with is not as good as the old C-USA we were in.

It's no wonder that our attendance is similar to when we were in C-USA.

Also, it has become more difficult to schedule somewhat attractive home opponents to help draw more fans.

The major conferences have added more teams and have pretty good conference schedules. And, with their money they get can afford to pay no name teams big money just to lose and pad their wins.

USF like most other members of the AAC is in the same boat.

So, we have limited options to get good OOC games in Tampa.

The main focus is trying to make more 2-1 series with big name opponents. If that doesn't work out over time, we will see what else can be done. 

Add to that, many of our home games are NOT scheduled for Saturday night which dampens tailgating and attendance.

Certainly, being ranked should help somewhat, but even that won't have the expected benefits, because of who we play.

Too bad that we don't play a ranked UCF at home, just to get our best crowd of the year.

As for me, we will continue to go the games, regardless of who we are playing or how well the team is doing.

We are their to support USF football come rain or shine.

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

4 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

As for me, we will continue to go the games, regardless of who we are playing or how well the team is doing.

We are their to support USF football.

Far too few out there like that and could be a real problem when/if conf expansion comes again .... USF would need to use that pic of the 2007 WVU game as the header on all correspondence going out when/if the time comes.

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Far too few out there like that and could be a real problem when/if conf expansion comes again .... USF would need to use that pic of the 2007 WVU game as the header on all correspondence going out when/if the time comes.

The major conferences understand our current problem.

At least USF has proven over a number of year as a member of the Big East that we can average 40,000-50,000/gm in a P5 conference and we never even won a  championship.

That was an important part of our presentation to the Big 12.

I posted an article about that previously. Here it is again, in case you don't remember.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/think-attendance-will-hurt-usfs-big-12-bid-think-again/2287511

Edited by Mama_Bull