• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lack of Offensive Rhythm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Even though we're dropping pretty much 40+ week in and week out the offense still hasn't fully clicked and got into rhythm yet.  We seem to string together a few good plays then have our rhythm interrupted by a stupid false start, illegal shift, or a dropped pass.  I think we also don't do enough early in games to get Q some easy throws to get him going and in a groove.  A few easy catches early in the game couldn't hurt to get the WRs going too.  Even though this offense has been putting up points we have still yet to play a full game in rhythm and up to our full potential.  

Hopefully Mattox gets after the big uglies this weekend and and we can clean up that part of the problem.  Gilbert seems content to beat lesser teams with as little of the playbook as possible but we need to run our full offense so we are comfortable with our full system for the games we need it in.  Also, he needs to do more early to get Q going and into rhythm passing the football.  I think we're close to putting it all together and smashing either ECU or Cinci like we did Cinci in 2015.  This offense is so close to absolutely exploding on somebody.  We just need to get out of our own way.....

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

:guinness::applause:

Well put.  I 100% endorse this message.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 minutes ago, Bulls Are We said:

3/16 on third downs last night.  I'm still not sure how we are getting away with that.

Because we had 22 first downs overall.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

The points are masking the problem which will be ok, only if we keep winning. Any game that turns into a dog fight, game of attrition, we could have really big problems. So I hope we keep rolling teams and not having to worry about it, but I get the concern 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

To me we have to start showcasing different players. I may sound like a broken record, but McCants (imo) has proven to be the best skill player we have on the edge. MVS drops the ball too much to be considered reliable, so why don't we move some of MVS's targets over to McCants (who has less than 10 touches this year) and see if throwing to reliable receivers will help with the rhythm. 

Update: to put some numbers to my point, Before last game SB nation had MVS recieving 28 (catching 14)  targets while the number two on that list had 9 and McCants only receiving 7 (catching 5). There is a huge gap there. 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-south-florida-advanced-statistical-profile

Edited by ajc1228

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Our weakass opponents are obscuring our Offensive Offense.

We need to straighten this out, or we will be soundly beaten by the upcoming higher level of opponent

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The problem I see in the passing game is there really doesn't seem to be a purpose to the passing game other than to send a message that the deep ball is available.  At least that's what was shown last night.  Looked like Gilbert called it only to try to get the safeties to back out of the box.  In other words, in my opinion, he hasn't really used the passing game to move the ball.  Most of the throws (the ones I remember anyway) all seemed to be long passes down the sidelines.  Pretty much low percentage throws.  We seem to be moving the ball on the ground, but we are still leaving points on the field.  Can't complain about the big gain in time of possession.  Keeps our guys on defense fresh for later in the season.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not pleased about the efficency of the offense last night. It's worth mentioning that Charlie was mixing in depth at LB in the first quarter. As soon as I saw that, I immediately had a feeling we were going to play fairly conservative on offense. I understand we took some shots, but that offense looked much different than the one that showed up against Illinois. 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I agree it's time to open a can of whoop-ass. The down-side to these slow starts is the SJSU example--our guys were getting down on themselves and it seemed on the brink of becoming another McNeese, but fortunately they ignited and got themselves out of it. I'm not sure we do that against a Houston or dare I say UCiF. Need some old-fashioned aggression right out of the gate.