• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS Winners and Losers - Week 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Over and over again, I keep reading about how Gilbert might be holding back the playbook until we get into conference play.  We are ranked #19 in the country and in some polls our first nine teams are ranked out of the top 100!  Do we really need to be conservative with an FCS team so that UCONN doesn't learn our secrets?!?!

I believe we have seen the playbook already and it is a power run offense.  Let's just hope CCS is willing to make the needed adjustments, much like CWT finally did.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's like saying #Ca$h# was holding back the playbook against Memphis in that nationally televised game where he kept calling running plays for no gains or when he couldn't move the ball on UCF in that one game to end the season.

We aren't Alabama. The last two games were not experiments. People who aren't panicking are in denial.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,686
  • Days Won:  8

We have seen the playbook. Run into traffic. Players have been tracing lines right into the Xs all off season.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Even in the Gulf Coast Offense, I believe that even though it beats what we currently run, there would have been a drop-off anyway. The threat of QF/Mack on the read option, and Adams on the Jet sweep/bubble screen/go route put an aweful lot of strain on opposing defenses, and opened things up for players like McCants and MVS to make plays. Other than QF, we basically have a bunch of role players from last year's offense. MVS had exactly 22 catches in each of his first three season, McCants is a great blocker, but not sure he's a world beater. There's not much evidence that any current RB is anywhere near the home run threat Mack was. Not sure this was ever going to be the juggernaut that some here thought it would be.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Even in the Gulf Coast Offense, I believe that even though it beats what we currently run, there would have been a drop-off anyway. The threat of QF/Mack on the read option, and Adams on the Jet sweep/bubble screen/go route put an aweful lot of strain on opposing defenses, and opened things up for players like McCants and MVS to make plays. Other than QF, we basically have a bunch of role players from last year's offense. MVS had exactly 22 catches in each of his first three season, McCants is a great blocker, but not sure he's a world beater. There's not much evidence that any current RB is anywhere near the home run threat Mack was. Not sure this was ever going to be the juggernaut that some here thought it would be.

This is a smart post. I think we dropped significantly in the skill positions. DJ is no where near a replacement nor are our current receivers. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I'm also hoping that they were choosing to be conservative for the first 2 games.

Although I could see frustration building in the players (especially QF) late in the 2nd Q when they were reaching the bench after another failed drive

Either way... I feel the same as the end of last season:

I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE KEEP TJ WEIST!!!

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Dogma said:

Not that it matters, but I believe he's still available. Wonder if it even crossed Charlie's mind to bring him on board? Thought that guy would have landed a gig somewhere.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

If they don't open up the playbook, not only will they lose some games, the coaches may lose the team.  These players believe in each other and if the coaches don't believe in them, there will be some trouble in the locker room.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

24 minutes ago, Dogma said:

I'm also hoping that they were choosing to be conservative for the first 2 games.

Although I could see frustration building in the players (especially QF) late in the 2nd Q when they were reaching the bench after another failed drive

Classy guy! I also wish he was still here.

Great success this season to @USFFootball and @CoachStrong_USF and within the program to @MarkHarlanUS

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I think the CBS assessment is reasonable on the surface. Until our guys prove they can play a full A-game (or at least B), there's no basis to believe they'll sweep, win the conference, or even reach 10 wins.

Staff calibration time should be drawing to a close now--CCS should know what he has and how his guys are going to react in a game. No one will roll over for us, but I agree & think our playbook opens more starting with UConn. I'm hoping, anyway--if we start that game doing nothing but runs up the middle, I may have to tune out until the second half, and save the first half recording for later if we win. :icon_drink:

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Mama_Bull said:

Classy guy! I also wish he was still here.

Great success this season to @USFFootball and @CoachStrong_USF and within the program to @MarkHarlanUS

Class