• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This play calling is pathetic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

we definitely should whip them but we aren't going to do it by running an offense like that. the safeties were begging us to go over the top all game. we did once for a 65 yard TD. single covered us all day and we don't use our speed and height on outside as an advantage. our line has never been great. they are good enough to run a spread attack though. last night was power football. we aren't built for that.

Completely agree.  I'd add that our WR's weren't getting much separation.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, JupiterBull said:

Completely agree.  I'd add that our WR's weren't getting much separation.

they weren't getting any separation on the 3 yard hitches and underneath stuff. they never will. defense just keeps them in front.

let them go down field and I bet the separate

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337
  • Days Won:  0

Imo Flowers is a read option QB. I think everything in the offense builds off zone blocking so Flowers can make a quick read. We do not have an OL that can overpower DL's. Our game is quickness and playing in space. The coaches, in the first two games, have taken this away from Flowers and tried to make him play as a traditional QB.

I don't believe we've seen what this offense is just yet other than it's frustrating to watch. I'm hoping the coaching staff go back and see what Taggart tried to do when he first got here and compare it to the Gulf Coast offense. I'm hoping they install or have some read option stuff in their playbook for the upcoming games. Flowers isn't going to be able to stand in the pocket and pick apart defenses and our OL isn't going to be able to create giant holes for RB to power through. This is not a big 12 team. They have to call plays to the players strength until they recruit the players they need for their brand of offense.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

We are 6-6 with a power run. 

Should have been an understanding made when hiring. No power run. Keep the gulf coast for 2017. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

defensive minded coaches play conservatively on offense. they are more concerned with field position than they are with trying to score.

I said this when we hired him. we are not built as a defensive ball control team.

still think it was a mistake passing on Clemson OC.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  189
  • Days Won:  0

With the past offense using the spread (Gulf Coast),   every formation had gaps for running because of the receivers split our wide,  sometimes even Mack or D.Johnson,  then Flowers or running back had holes to run.  Now there is NO holes because its a tight formation,  which is bad news for a quarterback like Flowers who needs room to use his talents.     I agree with all we are not going to to well if offense philosophy doesn't not change.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

We are 6-6 with a power run. 

Should have been an understanding made when hiring. No power run. Keep the gulf coast for 2017. 

It should be written into the contract that if you try and make us power run...its terms for immediate termination.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, BullTime said:

I found it hard to believe that the philosophy of the offense was no playbook, the players have to draw the plays under the tutorage of the coach.  After two weeks of mediocre performance I now do believe there is no play book.  Sandlot football has arrived.

Like AAU basketball.  Put 'em out there and let em do whatever.

Funny, and sort of related to all the discussion on the board about using last year's offensive playbook.  I have only coached HS basketball and club basketball.  I remember when about 8 of my club players went off to play HS ball at the same school.  After the school season, when they came back to the club, I flat out asked them if there were any plays they ran at their high school that they were highly effective with?  Of course, we would incorporate that into the club team offense in a heartbeat.  Make it easier to be successful.  Not cram the players into a potentially less effective system.

Now I know fame and money does breed some arrogance.  But it would so please me if I knew a college head coach could be humble enough to have dialogue with the players, especially the leaders that have already been through a similar experience.  Or watch some film from last season.  Figure out what fits and adjust.  Don't be stubborn.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, JupiterBull said:

My point is, even BASIC (don't show the next foes) offense should still be able to dominate lesser foes.

I think it was Bobby Knight who said that he could handover his playbook to the opposing team the night before, but if his players executed, they still could not be stopped.

But that assumes we have a great playbook or a playbook at all.