• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Depth Chart Released

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

13 hours ago, BiggTipp said:

I'm sure by week 4 this will look different. Not only that but so many will play that it really doesn't matter

This. It all shakes out and this is like the reward for good play in camp. We were all pretty baffled when xCWT put Matt Floyd at starter in game 1, but it will settle on the talent. I think McCants definitely moves up to starter as long as he's healthy. I just hope Barr worked on his hands, he has great speed.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

11 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Yeah, Ryshene. Sorry.

At this point, Strong doesn't seem optimistic WR Ryeshene Bronson (shoulder) will be available Saturday, but didn't totally rule him out.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

This depth chart is honestly baffling to me, as an armchair analyst.

1. Reaves is a STARTER after just getting a schollie. WOW.
  2. Clerveaux as the starting Y
  3. McCants #3 in the slot
  4. Bronson nowhere to be found (I assume injury related)
  5. McGee passed over as a starter
  6. Watts is absent
  7. VJax is absent
  8. DJ, unless giving him NFL tape, at RB, KR, and PR is just dumb.

As an aside, our front seven are tiny. Sawtelle might as well be a safety. We're basically running a 4-1-6 out there. How many power run teams are we playing this year?

UCONN and Temple probably have the most power run schemes in the AAC.  The rest are more option based run offenses or spread offenses.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Polkcountybull said:

UCONN and Temple probably have the most power run schemes in the AAC.  The rest are more option based run offenses or spread offenses.

Uconn has switched to up tempo spread this year

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Uconn has switched to up tempo spread this year

Well...then Temple is about it

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Hey... Just so some of you guys know... Reaves was a pretty good starter at Manatee but he was really undersized for a MLB.  He was playing at 185-190 pounds and that was being generous.  He went to Air Force prep school instead a smaller college to play.  He got bigger and decided to walk on at USF.  He was a preferred walk-on also.  Seeing him at 6'2 250 plus pounds is astounding.  He has a lot of talent and the kid has a motor.  This also makes some sense to me. Reaves is at DE... we run it with the hybrid DE so they can move into the 3-3-5 without tipping what defense they're in.  He could end up being one of the biggest surprises this season.  He's always had a motor and talent... now he has the size and strength to go with a really high football IQ.  I'm not one to go out for  a walk-on... but I feel this one is different.  He's a really talented kid who just got missed because he didn't fit certain metrics.  To the kid's credit... he worked hard and didn't settle.  He's a special kid.  I just had to add that.... I was ecstatic when I saw he'd earned a starting position.   

Edited by Calibull
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

How many power run teams are we playing this year?

This defense is also a little bigger than the last 2 defenses as a whole.  When they play power run teams I'd imagine they'd do what FSU does.... they'll move to a 4-2-5 and swap out the hybrid DE with a natural DE.  We've actually done this the past 2 years, though Woodie didn't really grasp this principle at times... Allen did it often.  We have the guys to match a power running team... but our base defense is the 4-2-5.  We were actually smaller the year Allen coached.  I'm not overly concerned about size... we're not tinny. We've been smaller... even under CJL.

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Watts not on the two deep is crazy.  Im excited to see Reaves make plays our D line was pretty poor last year on pressures and containment.  Atterbury not starting is also crazy.  Looks like they went with lbs over starts there on the O line.  Also excited for all three RBs those would be the ones I would pick as well.

1 hour ago, usfbullrider said:

Watts not on the two deep is crazy.  Im excited to see Reaves make plays our D line was pretty poor last year on pressures and containment.  Atterbury not starting is also crazy.  Looks like they went with lbs over starts there on the O line.  Also excited for all three RBs those would be the ones I would pick as well.

I just think the other guys were better than Billy.  Atterbury seems to me to be one of the utility guys... like Gudmundson.  And if size were an issue they would have taken Polk at LT and not Mayes... Mayes is only 6'4 294.  I just think they went with the best guys.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

31 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I just think the other guys were better than Billy.  Atterbury seems to me to be one of the utility guys... like Gudmundson.  And if size were an issue they would have taken Polk at LT and not Mayes... Mayes is only 6'4 294.  I just think they went with the best guys.

Kind of agree on Atterbury. Nice to have him for depth because he's definitely serviceable. Kind of wonder if he would be better at guard. His knock seems to be slow feet which usually ends in a move inside.

Count me in the group shocked Watts didn't crack the 2 deep.