• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting ticket plan the Gators are trying...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

20 minutes ago, jasonb56 said:

We will see how many Gators are dumb enough to think they are actually getting a bargain. They can buy a single game ticket to Northern Colorado or UAB for $30, so they would essentially be paying $5 (UAB) or $10 (N. CO) for a restaurant.com $25 "gift card" which is just a discount off of a $50 or more purchase at a participating restaurant. Those discount vouchers are usually only $5 anyway, so they are actually paying more for the Northern Colorado game than they would buying the two items separately. The UAB game is a slight deal, as the tickets alone are $50 for that game, so it is like getting the gift card for free. Kudos to the Gators for suckering their fans into thinking they are actually getting a deal. 

It reminds me of when I was in high school and was front-end manager at Winn-Dixie. Whenever we needed to get rid of items I would make a display, slap a bright orange "Sale" sticker on the items, but I would not lower the price. The stuff was usually gone within hours. The public can easily be fooled into thinking that they are getting a deal. 

Edited by BullyPulpit
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

49 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

We will see how many Gators are dumb enough to think they are actually getting a bargain. They can buy a single game ticket to Northern Colorado or UAB for $30, so they would essentially be paying $5 (UAB) or $10 (N. CO) for a restaurant.com $25 "gift card" which is just a discount off of a $50 or more purchase at a participating restaurant. Those discount vouchers are usually only $5 anyway, so they are actually paying more for the Northern Colorado game than they would buying the two items separately. The UAB game is a slight deal, as the tickets alone are $50 for that game, so it is like getting the gift card for free. Kudos to the Gators for suckering their fans into thinking they are actually getting a deal. 

It reminds me of when I was in high school and was front-end manager at Winn-Dixie. Whenever we needed to get rid of items I would make a display, slap a bright orange "Sale" sticker on the items, but I would not lower the price. The stuff was usually gone within hours. The public can easily be fooled into thinking that they are getting a deal. 

You should have become a lawyer.  Oh, wait.  :15_yum:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Would you rather have BOGO or 1/2 off?

49 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Would you rather have BOGO or 1/2 off?

Half-off is obviously the better deal so long as there isn't a limitation of one item per person. It provides the same level of discount, but gives the purchaser the flexibility to buy odd numbers of the item at the reduced rate. Whereas BOGO requires the purchaser to buy items in duplicate. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

My mother used to tell the same story about when she worked in a department store some 60 years ago.  Except in her version the boss would tell them to take the nicely folded or packaged clothing items and throw them into a cluttered heap in the middle of a table.  Sometimes he would even raise the price, and then sit back and watch people fight over them.

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

My mother used to tell the same story about when she worked in a department store some 60 years ago.  Except in her version the boss would tell them to take the nicely folded or packaged clothing items and throw them into a cluttered heap in the middle of a table.  Sometimes he would even raise the price, and then sit back and watch people fight over them.

The human condition is indeed a fascinating thing to behold.   

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Reminds me of my days at Winn Dixie.   As a 16 year old stocker, I was in charge of ordering for the soda isle.  I didn't realize that the WD brand soda, Chex, came by the palette.  So when I ordered 18 cases for the week, 18 palettes arrived.

Needless to say WD ran a Chex sale for about 2 months.  The display was wild......because they had so much product to work with.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Half-off is obviously the better deal so long as there isn't a limitation of one item per person. It provides the same level of discount, but gives the purchaser the flexibility to buy odd numbers of the item at the reduced rate. Whereas BOGO requires the purchaser to buy items in duplicate. 

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

On 8/1/2017 at 4:57 PM, BDYZR said:
On 8/1/2017 at 1:24 PM, BullyPulpit said:

:facepalm:

This might need an example to be clear...

Let's say $25 steaks are offered BOGO at WD or half-off at Publix

Got to WD, you must spend $25, and you will get two steaks

Go to Publix and you can have one steak for $12.50

If all you really want is one steak, Publix saves you $12.50, since you don't have to buy what you don't want.

OTOH, if you want two steaks, you're indifferent.

Overall, Publix offers the greater value, since you get a free second option - and real options have real value.

• Upvote 1