• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Perhaps Mack Should have Stayed?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Content Count:  9,762
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, CPR said:

That's the thing with the draft. Of course he would've preferred being picked Rd 1-3, but it's more important who picks you. He has a real shot to succeed with the Colts. One of the best younger QB's in the NFL will be handing him the ball. The RB depth chart isn't too daunting either. Mack has a very good chance to make some real money down the road if he can make it to the next contract.

Doesn't matter who hands the ball to him.  What matters to a RB is who is blocking for him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

5 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Mack ... Likely a 5th or 6th round pick.

4 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Doubt Adams gets drafted, would be shocked if he was the next Bull off the board.

The Adams and Mack families thank you ...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Hated to see him go, but cant blame him and wish him the best...we have a nice stable to take over the run game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

16 hours ago, Triple B said:

The Adams and Mack families thank you ...

to be fair I was very close on Mack, was dead wrong on Adams.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

12 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

to be fair I was very close on Mack, was dead wrong on Adams.

But good call of Amichi, as most local USF writers had him going undrafted.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

mack will do well with colts on that fast field

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

I do agree that Indy is the perfect place for Marlon. I think he will do big things there.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/29/2017 at 0:28 PM, Bourbon Bull said:

I thought Andre Hall was a can't miss yet he did.  I wish Marlon the best but our former players on O really don't have a great track record.  Somebody has to be the first.

There is a reason Andre Hall didn't get drafted and Marlon did. Marlon's a better football player at this stage in his career.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

30 minutes ago, theman123 said:

There is a reason Andre Hall didn't get drafted and Marlon did. Marlon's a better football player at this stage in his career.

I don't know if that is true. Not sure if you ever got to see Hall play. I honestly won't say one way or another. They are different. I will say that Hall had a different situation. When the USF offense lined up in 2005, the defense set up to stop Andre Hall. I don't think people had to game plan for Mack the same way. Sure, he's a threat, but, with Flowers' running ability and the deep threat, defenses couldn't focus solely on Mack.

Hall was also only a 2-year "star" for us in a time where we didn't get any press at all. No one knew really about him. Our offense the last 2 seasons got a ton of attention. Ironically, to me, Mack showed more of his NFL ability in his freshman year when he was a true between the tackles running back.

Draft status or not, Hall never really got a shot because back then, the NFL was a workhorse RB league. In 2006, there were 10 guys that had over 300 carries. Last year, there was 1. In 2006, the average carries for the top-10 guys was 338, in 2016, it was 279. Teams are relying on more of a RBBC approach now and generally will draft to have a solid 3-deep lineup. Back then, teams had 1 guy and a decent backup.

Honestly, the 1 game that Hall really got a shot, he did very well (150 yards total), but, I think he may have tweaked something and fell out of the rotation. I don't know about his work ethic and what he was showing the coaches, but, I felt like he had the right skill set to do very well, it just never materialized.

Mack has the opportunity to do great things in Indy. It's a perfect situation. However, from this minute forward, he has to work on blocking for the QB. Luck has spent more time on his back than any other QB in the league since he's been there. If Mack really wants to get a great opportunity, he needs to focus on protecting the franchise. Indy is weird, they generally don't go with the best runner on earth, they want a guy that can pick up a blitz and keep the QB on his feet. If Mack can do that, I have no doubt that he will shine when he gets the ball.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

When the USF offense lined up in 2005, the defense set up to stop Andre Hall. I don't think people had to game plan for Mack the same way. Sure, he's a threat, but, with Flowers' running ability and the deep threat, defenses couldn't focus solely on Mack.

That may have been true the last couple years, but don't forget that Mack was the conference's leading rusher his freshman year without the benefit of taking handoffs from QF.  

• Upvote 1