• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics: Revenues / Expenses

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Check your invoice....the required per seat donations are itemized as “Scholarship Seating” which is used to fund Athletic Scholarship costs.

This is spot on. Called yesterday to make our donation to the IPF and was told that the per seat donation could NOT be used toward the IPF.  Yesterday was an expensive day.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

13 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

That's the way it's done!  If all Bull's fans sent half their net worth like F2B we could have that OCS built in no time.

If I sent half my net worth USF would be giving me money!

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

15 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

Title IX prevents this.

if we have a Men's hoops team we are legally obligated to maintain the epic money pit that is Women's hoops.

no disrespect to our ladies' hoops squad, they are a very solid team... But WBB just doesn't generate revenue at any level.

even the NBA maintains the WNBA at a loss & they aren't even legally required to do so.

Just a note, WBB may have the highest percentage of their scholarships endowed of all our sports (I have no facts to back that up, I just know that they made a push and did really well getting people to respond). 

You are very wrong in saying WBB doesn't generate revenue. They don't generate profit (in that their expenses exceed the revenue they generate). I would assume they are the 3rd highest revenue generator of our sports, which puts them ahead of all other women's sports and most of our men's sports. 

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

You are very wrong in saying WBB doesn't generate revenue. They don't generate profit (in that their expenses exceed the revenue they generate).

u are absolutely right @Mike Stuben

I know the difference between revenue & profit & the distinction here is unquestionably a critical one. I was careless with my choice of words. for that I apologize & thank u for the correction. I will definitely be more precise in the future.

& just to be clear, nothing I've said here is intended to be critical of women's basketball in general or our WBB team in particular. I fully support both.

but it's an unfortunate, disappointing reality that many if not most WBB programs are maintained at a net loss to their respective schools. if the numbers mentioned in the OP of this thread are correct, WBB at USF operates at a net ~$2.5M loss to the school annually, a number which I'm sure is not outside the norm for WBB programs at universities across the country.

at a time when athletic budgeting at USF is being scrutinized for a number of reasons (fans questioning coaches' contracts & speculating about buyouts, demand for new facilities e.g. IPF, OCS, amongst other things), it's not unreasonable that expenditures be questioned.

Men's hoops seems to be the only sport that generates profit & at the very least I don't think having an arena on campus that just underwent some $30M+ in renovations has hurt MBB at USF.

the university is clearly both willing to invest in construction/infrastructure improvement projects & provide funding for teams that are consistently in the red... Obviously the money for Football is on a different scale, but fans like the OP are bound to look at athletic expenditures & wonder why investment in the football program-- the one program with the potential to bring in the most profits AND elevate the national profile of the university most effectively (athletics, esp. football, are powerful marketing tools for a university)-- is consistently perceived to be stifled by budgetary restrictions & "financial feasibility" issues.

Edited by TRUTH D. Antagonist
grammar

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

Just a note, WBB may have the highest percentage of their scholarships endowed of all our sports (I have no facts to back that up, I just know that they made a push and did really well getting people to respond). 

You are very wrong in saying WBB doesn't generate revenue. They don't generate profit (in that their expenses exceed the revenue they generate). I would assume they are the 3rd highest revenue generator of our sports, which puts them ahead of all other women's sports and most of our men's sports. 

👍👍👍👍👍

Mike, if I’m not mistaken, all WBB scholarships have been endowed.

Since 2013/14 WBB Season Ticket Sales have steadily increased from about 375 to 1086 in 2017/18 and average attendance was higher than MBB (2017/18).

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

12 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

👍👍👍👍👍

Mike, if I’m not mistaken, all WBB scholarships have been endowed.

Since 2013/14 WBB Season Ticket Sales have steadily increased from about 375 to 1086 in 2017/18 and average attendance was higher than MBB (2017/18).

I think that was the first time I liked one of your posts. lol - new year starting off right! 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Could it be that the men's basketball revenue numbers are slightly skewed because of the way the NCAA and AAC distribute funds from the NCAA tournament and that distribution is counted as MBB revenue? If so, that would likely add $860,000 or so in revenue to the men's basketball program. 

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Could it be that the men's basketball revenue numbers are slightly skewed because of the way the NCAA and AAC distribute funds from the NCAA tournament and that distribution is counted as MBB revenue? If so, that would likely add $860,000 or so in revenue to the men's basketball program. 

If those are the rules I'm not sure skewed is the right word.  Let's ask Trip.  He's the word guy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

If those are the rules I'm not sure skewed is the right word.  Let's ask Trip.  He's the word guy.

Skewed works.

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Skewed works.

Disagree. It doesn't distort it if it is what happens each year.