• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Assistant Coach Expected To Take Over Offense

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,091
  • Days Won:  469

Uhh, Schaeffer will run away, and never pick us now!

Come on, don't be ridiculous about this selection.  Is Smith also going to be the reason our baseball team doesn't make post season or the reason Brumbaugh goes to OKST?   It isn't like we selected Al-Arian to run the offense.  Smith was QB coach when Schaeffer almost picked us over UT, and we're still running the exact same type of offense.   It isn't like a major leap of faith, and unless Brent liked us exclusively because of Hobbie (boy wouldn't that be ironic) then I don't think we lose any slack.

Bien, I have said nothing negative of the decision...I'm simply asking an honest question, is there an affect good, bad or indifferent?  I was not trying to imply anything at all.   I think your last sentence, got to your feelings on it...I'll ignore the rest, besides I hear Al-Arian is too busy on the court right now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

I remember the bad passes but it seemed like there were a lot of dropped passes that killed drives also.  Wasn't always the QB's fault.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  17

Well, according to his bio at http://isis.fastmail.usf.edu/usf-athletics/Sports/football/staff/rod_smith.htm:

In three years at USF, Rod Smith, who had worked with up-tempo offenses at West Virginia and Clemson, helped install a no-huddle, spread offense that has proven ultra successful.

He's listed as Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach.  Is a “Pass Game Coordinator†something like an OC?

Maybe da Bulls will be going back to the spread as run during the MB years.

In any case I have a question for the experts (my apologies for not researching myself):

Has any Big East school, that has an OC without any prior college OC experience, made a bowl appearance over the past few seasons?

Thanks for your help.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

maybe we should just have Andre Hall play QB... he's 1 for 1 with a touch down pass!  what a rating  ;)

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

This should serve as a warning to all the Dark Siders who want RMC out .................... be careful what you wish for.   8)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Bien, I have said nothing negative of the decision...I'm simply asking an honest question, is there an affect good, bad or indifferent?  I was not trying to imply anything at all.   I think your last sentence, got to your feelings on it...I'll ignore the rest, besides I hear Al-Arian is too busy on the court right now.

The point I was trying to make is no one on this board has a clue of how this will effect Schaeffer's decision.  HOWEVER, I gave you reasons why it could be a minimal effect at best.  

There are enough incendiary posts, and opinions on this topic it's hardly the time to contemplate what, if any, this selection will have on an aloof potential transfer.  If he chooses to go elsewhere then maybe we bring it up.  Besides you're a voice of reason, and I can imagine this thread is going to carry on for about 10-12 pages.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,091
  • Days Won:  469

The point I was trying to make is no one on this board has a clue of how this will effect Schaeffer's decision.  HOWEVER, I gave you reasons why it could be a minimal effect at best.  

There are enough incendiary posts, and opinions on this topic it's hardly the time to contemplate what, if any, this selection will have on an aloof potential transfer.  If he chooses to go elsewhere then maybe we bring it up.  Besides you're a voice of reason, and I can imagine this thread is going to carry on for about 10-12 pages.

Well I think it is very interesting to contemplate....Had we brought in an OC that loves the I-formation and a strong ground game for Andre Hall, what would that mean for our QBs and/or Schaeffer?  Not much positive perhaps...Leavitt going with Smith confirms what most knew - that the wide open offense stays and the school needs a **** good QB to run it (which has already been proven).

I'm not trying to read much into this other than what was, still is and there may be soem positives to it.

Guest Auto_Max

Well this is just the bit of news I have been longing to hear. I guess it could be worse, it could be raining. Another personel mistep by CJL and this one, hating to say this because it means I agree with smazza, will be his undoing. There is no way Smith is an improvemenent and if it gets any worse we may as well quick kick on second if Andre doesn't get a first down.  Bonehead offer with the only "out" being Smith recognizing the Peter Principle staring him in the face.

Why does CJL love this spread so much? I still think he is in bewilderment from the Middle Tenneessee State game that had him pacing and foaming at the mouth more than usual. (look it up newbies) Since then he has been enamoured and only to USF and his own detriment. Sad tale gets worse with this hire. Hope I am wrong but I am downgrading my prediction to 4-7 now. Pitiful, just pitiful.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Selective memory, MB didn't spend 01, and 02 improving- that was his 99 and 00 seasons.  In 01, and 02 our offense clicked primarily because it fit MB well, and he was able to implement it so perfectly.

actually your right, I definately have a selective memory. In my memory the offense was basically chaos, I remember the handoffs from the shotgun where it basically was a back coliding with the QB and getting nothing. I recall plays breaking down around MB and him either tucking the ball and running or evading rush after rush buying time for something (anything) to open up for him. As for MB making the offense cordinator look like a genious, no it never did to me, he did make the offense productive and exciting to watch but it was pretty obvious that without him there was no substance.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

... besides I hear Al-Arian is too busy on the court right now.

I betcha Al-Arian would run an explosive offense and know how to teach his QB how to throw a bomb.