• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Assistant Coach Expected To Take Over Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

pretty funny...

we all wanted hobbie out, and the one guy that we disliked MORE than hobbie takes over...  oy vey.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 19usf96

I might get killed for this but I don't think it is that bad.  

Someone mentioned that he hasn't developed talent; IMO, we haven't had that much talent at QB to begin with since Blackwell graduated.  During the time Blackwell was our QB he continued to improve year after year - he has to get some of that credit.  Which then leads me to believe that our QB is Denson or in the very near future (after one year) Hill.  They are the same type of QB/ATH as Blackwell was.  He has the experience in dealing with this type of QB/ATH and can play-call accordingly to their talents.

Besides, I would also like to see Franks continue to be the RBs & recruting coordinator - that to me is where he is best - he proved it so at UF and maybe that is where he fits best at USF.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Great, "Gordo" from "Stand by me" is going to run our Offense.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

You almost wonder if Leavitt is concerned about giving Franks a chance just based on his own job security.

That makes no sense whatsoever, predictably. If he put Franks in and he did a good job, that would reflect positive on Leavitt as well so how would it affect Leavitt's job security? I'm sure there are valid reasons in his mind why/IF he chooses Smith but I seriously doubt losing his job to Franks is one of them ....

This post toned down considerably due to its board location.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

SC Bulls - A great deal of our problems have been our QBs and Smith was responsible for working with them one one one and developing them.

Again, we're not sure if that is talent (or lack there of) or coaching.

I'm not saying I'm thirlled about this, quite the opposite.  Like you, based on our recent QB history, I'm more than a little concerned.  However, I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

How did this happen?????

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

pretty funny...

we all wanted hobbie out, and the one guy that we disliked MORE than hobbie takes over...  oy vey.

Quoted for truth and irony.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

The offense that we have bad mouthed for the past several years has been Smiths not Hobies.  He brought it with him from Clemson.  We will have more of the same.  Just don't get it....

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  80

Smith???!  He's the one who should have been fired this off-season!

He hasn't  done the job he has!  Regardless of what talent level the QBs arrive with, it is Smith's job to develop that talent!  He has clearly not done this.

Not only that, but his interaction with the QBs on the sideline has been terrible.

What the hell are our head coach and AD thinking?

The only potential positive I can see to this is a path for Chad Barnhardt to become our QB coach.  For those who know, could this happen now?

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Give a man enough rope to hang himself.....

Have to say that this is the first move that CJL has made that I completely disagree with.  I'd like to hear some of his reasoning for this hire.  Is Smith really that quailified?  Was it a matter of $$$?  What is the thought process behind this?  

Leavitt truly has put his job security in Smith's hands.  I hope for all of us that this works out, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't skeptical.