• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Assistant Coach Expected To Take Over Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA - University of South Florida quarterbacks coach Rod Smith has been offered and is expected to be named USF's offensive coordinator, a source close to the university said.

Smith, 32, would replace former coordinator Mike Hobbie, who was USF's offensive coordinator for four seasons. Hobbie resigned April 18.

Smith and USF coach Jim Leavitt could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Smith came to USF in 2001 and has been the Bulls' quarterbacks coach and pass game coordinator the past four seasons.

Before that, Smith was a graduate assistant at Clemson in 2000, where he also worked with the quarterbacks. While at Clemson he worked with then-offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez.

After the 2000 season Rodriguez was named West Virginia's coach and Smith accepted the Mountaineers' quarterbacks coach position in January 2001.

However, Smith was hired by Leavitt in March 2001 and has been USF's quarterbacks coach and pass game coordinator ever since.

A 1997 graduate of Glenville State (W. Va.) College, Smith's coaching career began in 1997 as offensive coordinator at Franklin (W. Va.) High School. He was then offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Urbana (Ohio) University from 1998-99 and at West Virginia Tech during the spring of 2000.

In other USF news, former Bulls offensive lineman Larry Scott, who played from 1997 to 1999, was named director of high school relations, a newly created position within the program.

Also, former Tampa Bay Bucs and University of Tennessee defensive end Steve White has turned down an offer to be USF's defensive graduate assistant.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Prediction:  This will be the most "interesting" thread for Thursday...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

i seriously hope this is another one of them fake april fool's day posts, no one can convince me that this is a good thing.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

It's reported on TBO..

http://bulls.tbo.com/

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

good god he looks like private pyle from full metal jacket, oh well, hope leavitt knows what he's doing.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

im a little buzzed right now... so ill pray that i misread this and all will be well tomorrow morning.....  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

jim's job is on the line with this move, all i can say is wow!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

It pains me to see this.  Smith has earned nothing here, not even the job he has.  Even if you guys aren't for canning him, you'd be hard pressed to show me he earned a PROMOTION.  What product has he put on the field that ways worthwhile at all?  The last coach's blackwell?  My azz.

I hope its an awful joke.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

stunned.....

where is bien? I need to hear some sort of positive spin for this one.