• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Q&A With New OC Sterlin Gilbert

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

Kinda along the same lines as GJ's list, our skill players are not that hard to figure out. What works for us also isn't that hard to figure out. I'd rather him be in the background working out how to best use our speed & skill for "his" offense than looking at last year with a couple of key players we don't have anymore.

Stop bringing logic and sense into this discussion.  It has no place here.  

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Concerns me a lot he hasn't watched plays. Why wouldn't he want to watch one of the top 5 offenses who averaged 45 points a game to see what exactly made them successful. If you don't want to watch that you're not doing your job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, The Great 8 said:

I find it ridiculous that he, allegedly, hasn't seen more film. This is his full time job. People make this move all the time, and manage to do their day job. Not evaluating what worked, and what didn't, in a top 5 offense is just lazy, arrogant, and stupid.

Perfectly said. He's being paid big dollars and he can't be bothered with watching one of the best offense in the country. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's going to shove his offense down our throats regardless of what worked in a top 5 offense. 

For his sake I hope he scores 45 points a game. Taggart would have scored 50 a game with this schedule this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

So we can no longer ***** about recruiting so we are on to the next topic to grasp at straws and complain about? Considering Taggart flew to Baylor to learn concepts from the guy who taught Gilbert I think we will be ok. 

The Gulf Coast offense was based on the only offense Gilbert knows how to run. 

Edited by 206BULL
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

8 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

So we can no longer ***** about recruiting so we are on to the next topic to grasp at straws and complain about? Considering Taggart flew to Baylor to learn concepts from the guy who taught Gilbert I think we will be ok. 

The Gulf Coast offense was based on the only offense Gilbert knows how to run. 

This! Sheesh wasn't everyone complaining that Taggart's play calling was too predictable? Maybe that's because he never mastered an offense that he was learning on the job; that he went to because his first two years he attempted to jam a square peg in a circle hole on offense. Maybe the same four plays worked because the athletes were that good. The offense is a run-based, zone-read spread option scheme. That's literally what Gilbert mastered in his career. I for one won't over analyze what a coordinator says to a reporter in an interview. 

Im terrified for the spring game because half the folks here are gonna want to fire the whole staff if the offenses dont score 40 points while the defenses pitch a shutout simultaneously. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

5 hours ago, raptorcj said:

Kinda along the same lines as GJ's list, our skill players are not that hard to figure out. What works for us also isn't that hard to figure out. I'd rather him be in the background working out how to best use our speed & skill for "his" offense than looking at last year with a couple of key players we don't have anymore.

Stop bringing logic and sense into this discussion.  It has no place here.  

My bad, someone should really start a "fire Gilbert yesterday" thread over this. It's obviously gross negligence of duty.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,543
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

For his sake I hope he scores 45 points a game. Taggart would have scored 50 a game with this schedule this year. 

I honestly don't give a **** if he scores 21 a game as long as the defense only gives up 20.

None of this is going to really be answered until August/September so this should make for a riveting, ongoing topic until then ... unless Gilbert is alerted to the error of his ways and comes out with a statement that he has taken valuable time away from setting up an offense here to watch every play on offense from every game last year.

I've got admit that USF must have some of the most creative fans in college football when it comes to finding something, anything, to wax negative about. Although the creative pinnacle had been reached last year when some actually thought there should have been a qb competition going into the Spring, this one is up there in silliness.

Fact. Taggart scored 44 a game. Fact. Taggart had one of best offenses in country. Fact. Gilbert hasn't watched film on USF offense or very little. 

Opinion. Tag would have scored 50 a game this year with this pathetic schedule. 

I for one want to see more than 21 points a game. If USF is only scoring 21 a game something went very very wrong. 

I will assume Gilbert knows what he is doing until proven otherwise but he should watch the film of arguably the best offense in the country. To do otherwise would be stupid.