• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong Contract

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

24 minutes ago, RaisingFenix said:

That's true. All I'm saying is that there were two extreme possibilities: we offer $1 and leave the whole obligation on Texas, or we offer $10M+, and thereby completely eliminate Texas's obligation. Anything in the middle is gray area and carries the possibility of litigation based on interpretation of the contract. If I were involved, I'd rather have buy-in from the third party before proceeding, as a CYA measure.

I agree completely.

Yoda is full of **** for reasons we have been discussing.  If USF was his best offer AND he was obligated to at least seek out other employment it is hard for him to turn it down.  He could have gotten sued for turning us down, no?

30 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Guys, we're screwed! 

Capture.JPG

We can also argue, rightly so, that since his work led to his dismissal at Texas we are not sure he is worth more than what we are offering.  After firing him at the cost of $10M can they argue otherwise?

Edited by MMW

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

55 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

And how do we know that?  You are making as big an assumption as those that believe Strong is an upgrade.

He already addressed that ....

20 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

OK, let me rephrase for you.  With the pathetic OOC schedule and favorable conference schedule, barring unforeseen injuries to key players, Taggart was 90%+ likely to win 11 games next year.  That better for you.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:

And how do we know that?  You are making as big an assumption as those that believe Strong is an upgrade.

44 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is going to be another debate like how you can determine AW is better than QF based on practice.

I am pretty certain my daughter can coach the team next year to 8 or 9 wins based on our schedule and who we have returning.  

Although I am not suggesting that because I suspect she is a fan of the Power I.  

Edited by MMW

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, MMW said:

I guess you were right, and more importantly Harlan knew that too.

We weren't in the room and heard there was a snag.  We did not know what CCS's interest was in coaching this year and at what level DC/HC,  or for a non-P5 school.  For all we knew he was reluctant on all fronts and was just fulfilling his contractual obligation.

The only party that appears to be getting the short end of the deal is UT and I never would have guessed that to be the case. 

Certainly I wasn't in the room either, just found the range of emotions on this message board, other message boards, and twitter to be hilarious.  Some people thought we would get a $1 contract and then when it was reported that there was a snag many people acted as though Texas had some sort of veto power and could stop USF from providing a backloaded contract.  Meanwhile actual clear thinking business men made the deal that suited all parties.

Texas really isn't getting shorted that bad though.  Their weren't a ton of options that would've provided Strong more total compensation over the next two years and in the end that is Texas's only true interest.  Seems like we(CCS) flexed on them a little with the contract we got but chalk that up to PR costs for them.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, MMW said:

They fired him and by doing so reduced his market value.  It is hard for them to argue that he is worth more if they are letting him go even though it is costing them $10 million to do so.  Consider that for a moment.

The DC offers were less that what we were offering and the same is true for Temple I am guessing.

I don't even think other offers would necessarily have to be less, just in the same ballpark to appease Texas.  Someone could have offered him $2.5 million to scrub toilets in Antartica for the next two years, and just because its the best money doesn't make it the best job offer for CCS, their has to be some allowance for personal judgement there.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Didn't we pay Taggart about $1,000,000 his first year? we are supposed to pay a lot more for a coach who got fired at his last spot? It is pretty easy to justify the  first two years salary.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 12/14/2016 at 11:49 AM, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Now I know we won't have any legal issues with U Texas.

A lawsuit from Texas would be pretty strange, with a Texas attorney in the room and all...but I guess anything is possible.  

Besides, I can't see us having a lot of issues.  This would be a problem between Strong and Texas, not us.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 12/14/2016 at 10:55 AM, Triple B said:

This is why I almost always slog through pages and pages before replying to something.  I was lazy this time.