• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How is this more fair than the BCS system?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

24 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

As if on cue, NCAA president Mark Emmert wants an eight-team playoff. It should be no surprise that his motive is to ensure that teams like Penn State and Oklahoma don't get left out rather than letting in a G5 team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-wants-an-eight-team-playoff-do-you-172534385.html

I somewhat agree with this article; but...

"Quite honestly, that’s a pretty entertaining playoff. Of course, there would still be complaining, especially from USC and Colorado, which are ranked Nos. 9 and 10 and would be on the outside looking in. But that’s been the main argument against expansion. No matter how far you expand the playoff, there will always be teams that feel cheated. There’s no way around that and therefore no perfect system."

This is a non-issue. People are upset about OSU & Penn State situation because one beat the other and won their conference. This 8 -team system (with p5 conf champ auto-bid) wouldn't soften that issue. And the top wild card spots would be for a better compromise for 2 -3 teams only. Anyone else outside, didn't win their conference.

Edited by Bear

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

20 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

As if on cue, NCAA president Mark Emmert wants an eight-team playoff. It should be no surprise that his motive is to ensure that teams like Penn State and Oklahoma don't get left out rather than letting in a G5 team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-wants-an-eight-team-playoff-do-you-172534385.html

If they don't give the G5 just 1 auto bid then the 8 team will be just as unfair as the 4 team.

Its very telling that we've been conditioned to believe that one measly auto bid for 6 conferences seems in and of itself unrealistic and not possible.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

Most of you know  a lot more about college football  than I  do .    If the Bcs system was so broken  that it had to be replaced, how is this G5, P5   system  more fair ? In practice  it seems to be even more unfair.  Thanks for the help, folks.

its not

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Imagine if the NCAA tourney were only 4 teams and the rest of the games were just meaningless exhibitions. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

25 minutes ago, Capital H said:

For how much the Big East is trashed now, had a team gone undefeated they would have been in

Maybe pre 2005 but there's no way they would have been a lock in the NBE ...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

We're Rivals but what has happened to the AAC this offseason with its coaches has made me really down on College Football as a Sport.

Even if Frost continues to do well and improves to say 8 wins next year I can't even enjoy it as a fan bc he probably gets picked off and UCF has to start over again.

I really wish there was a political support to get both schools in the Power 5

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

The idea that we have P5 and G5 in the same FBS... is insane.... it really is..

Smazza was right, the G5 needs to get together and find a new solution...

otherwise, this could go on for another 10 years (and if a G5 does well, the P5 will raid coaches or programs - cause that conference or school to fall back)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

6 minutes ago, ambienknights said:

I don't know that it would make a difference. How many state governors lobbied for their schools to enter the Big 12? The only "political" action that would do anything is some sort of anti-trust action that can prove that the TV networks and power conferences are damaging G5 schools.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

58 minutes ago, Viking_Bull said:

Football is a much more dangerous sport than basketball. Putting kids out on a basketball for 6 more games poses a much less risk than football. 

Well, I think you answered your question before you asked it.

8 minutes ago, ambienknights said:

We're Rivals but what has happened to the AAC this offseason with its coaches has made me really down on College Football as a Sport.

Even if Frost continues to do well and improves to say 8 wins next year I can't even enjoy it as a fan bc he probably gets picked off and UCF has to start over again.

I just said in another thread" Players are 2-4 years, coached are 2-4 years, fans are forever."

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I don't know that it would make a difference. How many state governors lobbied for their schools to enter the Big 12? The only "political" action that would do anything is some sort of anti-trust action that can prove that the TV networks and power conferences are damaging G5 schools.

this. Florida is the 3rd most populous State in the Nation yet only has 3 Power 5 Programs