• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Bowls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Maybe the lousy 5- and 6-6 "privileged 5" teams will get tired getting their asses kicked by the G5 and ask for the system be changed....nah...just a pipe dream thought....

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I think the likeliest changes for 2020 will be to match our conference champ or runner up against that from the MWC. Also the possibility of more higher seeded G5 teams playing bowls against bottom tier P5 teams. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

bowl games are some what unpredictable

aac should win most of the match ups

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Maybe the lousy 5- and 6-6 "privileged 5" teams will get tired getting their asses kicked by the G5 and ask for the system be changed....nah...just a pipe dream thought....

The problem is they don't get their asses kicked in bowl games. The G5 went 2-5 against the P5 last year, with its only wins being Houston and Navy, which was also ironically the only 2 wins the AAC managed to scrap together. Two years ago they went 2-4.

The solution to the ****** bowls is showing up to games and building a fan base. There is no incentive for these big name bowls to invite a USF if they are averaging 25k a home game and not getting solid tv rating. 2.5m people watched the USF-FSU game. 1.5m watched USF-Temple, Memphis-Houston got like 3 million viewers.. The rest of our games got like 150k viewership.

Edited by Capital H
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Capital H said:

The problem is they don't get their asses kicked in bowl games. The G5 went 2-5 against the P5 last year, with its only wins being Houston and Navy, which was also ironically the only 2 wins the AAC managed to scrap together. Two years ago they went 2-4.

The solution to the ****** bowls is showing up to games and building a fan base. There is no incentive for these big name bowls to invite a USF if they are averaging 25k a home game and not getting solid tv rating. 2.5m people watched the USF-FSU game. 1.5m watched USF-Temple, Memphis-Houston got like 3 million viewers.. The rest of our games got like 150k viewership.

You are correct. A lot of my position was taken on the comments by some of those on the SC message board who were pissed that a 6-6 team has to play a 10-2 team that is "very good" on offense. Yes, getting butts in seats will be vital. Interestingly 10 years ago USF had a nice crowd (@10,000 I believe) in Birmingham. They also had good crowds for both bowls in Charlotte (with the first one being the best) and Miami last year was good.  Interestingly, I think the worst was the St. Pete bowl. Viewership will always be an issue in this conference unless we are matched with a brand name team. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah like New England said its a real chicken egg.

We got relegated to a sub conference, so the games don't carry the weight they used to, but we want to play in meaningful games, but we don't have enough of a fan base to make a dent where it counts...$$$

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You are correct. A lot of my position was taken on the comments by some of those on the SC message board who were pissed that a 6-6 team has to play a 10-2 team that is "very good" on offense. Yes, getting butts in seats will be vital. Interestingly 10 years ago USF had a nice crowd (@10,000 I believe) in Birmingham. They also had good crowds for both bowls in Charlotte (with the first one being the best) and Miami last year was good.  Interestingly, I think the worst was the St. Pete bowl. Viewership will always be an issue in this conference unless we are matched with a brand name team. 

Toronto wasn't worse than St Pete?  That is surprising.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Reading the SC rivals board is kind of funny. Many of their fans are upset they are not going to St. Pete, Boca or one of the other Florida bowls and are stick going to Birmingham. 

23 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Toronto wasn't worse than St Pete?  That is surprising.

No Toronto was worse but that was self evident in that it was in another country with temps in the single didgets. Do we even count that bowl game???

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No Toronto was worse but that was self evident in that it was in another country with temps in the single didgets. Do we even count that bowl game???

I'm surprised people seriously couldn't find things to do in Toronto. It's a vibrant, international city. My cousins live there and praise it constantly. 

• Upvote 2