• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Girls are still doing really well this year, overachieving IMO which is a great sign. It just seems like they get stars in their eyes when playing the ranked teams. CJF is showing his skills with this team, there's still time to get even better.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

28 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Stars in their eyes! LOL.  They were out played and out coached by a superior team.

Overachieving??

Shouldn't a superior team out play and out coach an inferior one?

40 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Stars in their eyes! LOL.  They were out played and out coached by a superior team.

Overachieving??

They're playing better & winning more than I thought they would, so yeah, without a superstar CW they're overachieving IMO.

Show me a team that normally shoots 46-48% for the game (and 35+% 3's), but only shoots 38 & 23% (23 & 15% 3's) against UL & UConn, and I'll show you starstruck. Even a good D can't explain so many missed shots.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

CJF called out the players for FT shooting. I don't recall the exact numbers, but we normally shoot 80% but only shot 40% against UL.

Sounds like star-stricken to me.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Bracetology on Espn has us as a 7 seed in south bend

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

25 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

.784 season  / .563 game   If we made 100%, we still would have lost 57-66.

IMO the biggest factor was rebounding.   23 - 44

Euro style play just does't do well against better/aggressive defensive teams.

See, now THIS is the kind of convo where we can all have some back and forth, instead of just sniping. Good job!

I think a couple of our foreign ladies can step up to the rougher "big east" body contact play, but Laksa is probably not one of them. Ari and Laia, probably, Maria maybe. Not so sure about Laura, but probably not. But then, not all of them need to for us to be successful

Like a previous poster said, some of the home-growns need to step up and knock some folks down. A little bit of "angry drive and dish" to give some bruises and sink some threes would be nice to see

53 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

Which games this year met your standards for overachieving?

Did Courtney Williams get starstruck when playing against top teams?  How about the rest of last years teams?

I know I'm wasting my time here adding specifics, but where there were some gaps in skill sets (slashing zones, consistent D, post play), they've done better than I expected in covering it. Do you feel differently? You go to more games than I do, so I'm genuinely curious to know whether you think they should be as good as last year.

CW was not intimidated by anyone or any team, she brought confidence on the floor. Same gritty attitude could be said of Alicia, they were not going to give ground. That's a gap that I don't think they have covered this year...yet. It doesn't mean they won, it means they gave the ranked team a run.

2 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

They have done exactly as I expected, except for the humiliation delt to them by Geno's gang.  I was hoping Laura would be healthy.  Her playing for Portugal over the summer should have been a No, No.  Over the years the Euros have been a mixed bag. 

IMO, we will not reach the next level until we can recruit more and better American players.  Ever look at the rosters of Top 10 teams?

Did you see last year's Mississippi State game.  Good defense kept CW to 12pts, and Maria, and Kit to zero.

Absolutely agree about the American players, they add a dimension we don't seem to have. But I'm proud of what CJF has done with his mixed bag. We're still near the top in the conference, which I honestly didn't think we'd have this year...happy to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

19 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

.784 season  / .563 game   If we made 100%, we still would have lost 57-66.

IMO the biggest factor was rebounding.   23 - 44

Euro style play just does't do well against better/aggressive defensive teams.

Good stuff, Ned. By the way, do you watch the women's bball games like you do the football games--on TV only? Not trying to flame, just curious. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

No, I go to the Dome, and try to make it to 5 or 6 road games a year.

Have you gone to any this year?  Which ones?  We've never done a road trip for WBB but think we will make an effort next season.