• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Houston v Louisville

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

So a #5 ranked G5 team can miss out on a NY6 bowl if they lose their conference championship  game to a #35 team, if that #35 team just happens to be the highest ranking G5 conference champion?

Unlikely to occur, but in that situation, yes, the #35 team would go to NY6, and the #5 team could play in the Trop.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,634
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, charsibb said:

Yes and no.

If a G5 is ranked #1,2,3 or 4 by the committee, they go to the playoffs regardless of whether they've won their conference or not. This doesn't affect the next criteria

If no G5 team is in the top 4, then the highest ranked G5 conference champion is guaranteed a spot in one of the non-playoff NYD bowls, even if the playoff committee ranks other G5 non-champions ahead of them.

These are two separate criteria, so it is "possible" for two G5 teams to get in (but hugely unlikely)

You are saying they are separate, but it seems they are not by the way you worded it.  Your second criterion says, "If no G5 team is in the top 4, then..."  So how can there be two G5 teams that get in? Sounds like the second criterion is only possible if the first is not.

I admit I'm only into my second sip of coffee so maybe I'm not awake enough yet...

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Glad we won't have to get blown out by Houston this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

So a #5 ranked G5 team can miss out on a NY6 bowl if they lose their conference championship  game to a #35 team, if that #35 team just happens to be the highest ranking G5 conference champion?

I think we're overthinking this. Don't forget being a conference champion holds a ton of weight in the committee's eyes. In this scenario, the #35 team would most likely jump the #5 team in the final rankings because of their conference champion moniker. We were vaguely talking about this in the off-season for the american. If an undefeated houston lost to a 1 or 2 loss USF in he conference championship; Houston effectively loses twice.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

10 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Does the Committee even rank past 25 unless they have to?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Does the Committee even rank past 25 unless they have to?

If they do, they don't publish it

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

You are saying they are separate, but it seems they are not by the way you worded it.  Your second criterion says, "If no G5 team is in the top 4, then..."  So how can there be two G5 teams that get in? Sounds like the second criterion is only possible if the first is not.

I admit I'm only into my second sip of coffee so maybe I'm not awake enough yet...

Yeah. Even after editing that post, I wasn't very happy about how it came out. They are mutually exclusive, and I shouldn't post so late at night lol.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Glad we won't have to get blown out by Houston this year.

We did happen to beat the team that neat them and should beat the other team that beat them. Man, cut the Bulls some slack man lol

6 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

If they do, they don't publish it

This.

They certainly do, since they won't all agree on the teams that should be included, but they're not about to tell us.

In any event, we're talking hypothetically about an event so rare as to include a one loss non champion and 5 multi loss champions such that all of them are so far behind the one that the rankers couldn't possibly jump them past. Technically possible but statistically unlikely.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

Thou shall not covet thy rivals D.