• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey Grothe, here's something your team was missing...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Grothe has always been about Grothe. 

39 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

The game was over and he should not have been out there.  That is 100% coaching decision. 

Wrong. You had to know what was happening back then.  MG didn't want to cede any time to that BJ kid, but it worked out. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Wrong. You had to know what was happening back then.  MG didn't want to cede any time to that BJ kid, but it worked out. 

I thought the coaches can pull anyone from the game at any time.  Are you saying MG refused to come out of the game when Leavitt wanted him to?

Star players can influence coaches, and some do when chasing individual records.   

I'm just saying I know Grothe didn't want to exit and when forced to by injury, it was hard to find evidence of his support for BJ (nice way to put it). 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Bulls were up 35-0 w/8 seconds to go in the half.  Grothe took off around the left side and tore it on about the 40 yard line.  I was about 15 rows up dead in front of him.  The game was over and he should not have been out there.  That is 100% coaching decision. 

By this rationale, we should have had QF out midway thru the 2nd Quarter last week vs Navy.  Its a good thing we didn't take him out.  Like I said before nobody does this.  BA you should know better.  Complain about the playcall, but not the decision to keep him in there.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

Bulls were up 35-0 w/8 seconds to go in the half.  Grothe took off around the left side and tore it on about the 40 yard line.  I was about 15 rows up dead in front of him.  The game was over and he should not have been out there.  That is 100% coaching decision. 

Wrong again.  It was 28-0, MG got hurt with about 3 minutes left prior to half.  BJ came in and threw a 50 yard TD after the injury to make it 35-0 at half.  If you're going to blame the coach get the facts correct.  Has Louisville taken Lamar Jackson out of any games this year only up 28?  Nobody does this.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Grothe has always been about Grothe. 

A couple things:

1) I agree that you check Grothe out in that CSU game.  Grothe was a competitor and a lot of these kids feel indestructible until they aren't.  That said, Grothe was (and is) the best to ever play the position for USF to this day.  I'm not trying to stir controversy here, but he was an "off the radar" kid playing in a 7 on 7 camp on the practice fields at USF and I remember saying to a few people - "that kid is absolutely going to be the best to play QB at USF."  He wasn't tall enough.  He definitely didn't have a rocket for an arm or blazing speed.  He just had everything else.

2) The offense is potent, but these games should be on Friday.  Flat out ugly football.  High school football.  Mismatches (at least on one side of ball).  It is fun to watch USF run past some of these teams, but this is not the caliber of competition.  It simply isn't.  There have been a few flashes, but it is hot garbage.   You can't look away.

3) Grothe/Auburn.  This is the seminal moment of USF football. Away in a hostile environment.  2nd game of the year (after Elon) against No. 17 Auburn and Grothe pulls off this:

We're comparing a gun-fight at Memphis in front of a bored crowd?  C'mon, don't forget your history.  These are better times right now, but Holtz took this ship to the bottom.  

The only other moment that comes that close (to Auburn) is BJ (and a stout defense) pulling off the near-impossible at FSU after Grothe goes down.  That was bananas.  (I get #5 WVU and Kansas, but I still think the above two outrank - that said, has anything in 2016 approached any of that???)

The offense this current team is putting up is fun, but it is against marginal competition and the defense is flat-out flat. 

I pin none of the shortcomings of USF football on Grothe.  That kid did it every down.  We all know the losses came from coaching and playing fast.   That was the team and when it worked it worked well.  We'd have 15 penalties a game and recover because of that aggressive play.  Then we'd bump up against a team that would capitalize on short-field mismatches and the fact that we were always undersized on the DL.   They'd feed it to a 240 lb back that would eat our lunch and Leavitt rarely had an answer.  A stable of 300+ interior DTs would have done wonders for our program.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, USFreak said:

A couple things:

1) I agree that you check Grothe out in that CSU game.  Grothe was a competitor and a lot of these kids feel indestructible until they aren't.  That said, Grothe was (and is) the best to ever play the position for USF to this day.  I'm not trying to stir controversy here, but he was an "off the radar" kid playing in a 7 on 7 camp on the practice fields at USF and I remember saying to a few people - "that kid is absolutely going to be the best to play QB at USF."  He wasn't tall enough.  He definitely didn't have a rocket for an arm or blazing speed.  He just had everything else.

2) The offense is potent, but these games should be on Friday.  Flat out ugly football.  High school football.  Mismatches (at least on one side of ball).  It is fun to watch USF run past some of these teams, but this is not the caliber of competition.  It simply isn't.  There have been a few flashes, but it is hot garbage.   You can't look away.

3) Grothe/Auburn.  This is the seminal moment of USF football. Away in a hostile environment.  2nd game of the year (after Elon) against No. 17 Auburn and Grothe pulls off this:

We're comparing a gun-fight at Memphis in front of a bored crowd?  C'mon, don't forget your history.  These are better times right now, but Holtz took this ship to the bottom.  

The only other moment that comes that close (to Auburn) is BJ (and a stout defense) pulling off the near-impossible at FSU after Grothe goes down.  That was bananas.  (I get #5 WVU and Kansas, but I still think the above two outrank - that said, has anything in 2016 approached any of that???)

The offense this current team is putting up is fun, but it is against marginal competition and the defense is flat-out flat. 

I pin none of the shortcomings of USF football on Grothe.  That kid did it every down.  We all know the losses came from coaching and playing fast.   That was the team and when it worked it worked well.  We'd have 15 penalties a game and recover because of that aggressive play.  Then we'd bump up against a team that would capitalize on short-field mismatches and the fact that we were always undersized on the DL.   They'd feed it to a 240 lb back that would eat our lunch and Leavitt rarely had an answer.  A stable of 300+ interior DTs would have done wonders for our program.

QF leading this offense vs. Grothe leading this offense 

Who would do it better? I'm pretty sure Grothe has never made the game look so easy. I get the love for Grothe, I once had it. He oozed that blue collar country boy defying odds on the field vibe. He was good,  QF is better. 

The G.A. (Grown ***) Man known as QF performs miracles on the daily. You can't even make a highlight reel from last night's game that can truly capture the essence of what he does.

He puts up McDonald's numbers on the field. With his legs he beats you,  and if you mistakenly think he just runs,  that canon finds someone to punish you!

He's a bad mother "shut yo mouth!" I'm just talking about Flowers. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Grothe is still the greatest 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2