• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Downvoting/Upvoting Etiquette

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

I guess I'm dense because I don't see where a Publix cashier would fall under that ... Major reason being that, to my knowledge, Publix isn't a vendor under contract with the Florida Department of Lottery.

Without looking at the contract, I'd be inclined to say anyone who sells tickets is a vendor. Unless Publix is getting their Flamingo Fortune on the black market and set up the little kiosk with golf pencils all without letting the Lottery people know.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

34 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Without looking at the contract, I'd be inclined to say anyone who sells tickets is a vendor. Unless Publix is getting their Flamingo Fortune on the black market and set up the little kiosk with golf pencils all without letting the Lottery people know.

I really think it's talking about things like paper providers (goods) and big advertising (services) for the lotto--vendors TO the department, not retail POS outlets. But if Publix is under contract with the lotto to provide onsite catering or something, then the line wouldn't be as blurry. Where's Sanjay?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Perhaps it was pre '88:

2. What is the Lottery's policy on retailer wins?
Florida law does not prohibit retailers from purchasing lottery tickets. When the Department of Lottery was first established, Florida Statutes made it unlawful for retailers and their employees to purchase lottery tickets. That provision was amended in 1988, by the Florida Legislature, removing the prohibition.
http://www.flalottery.com/integrity-faq
Edited by George Jenkins

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

8 hours ago, raptorcj said:

I really think it's talking about things like paper providers (goods) and big advertising (services) for the lotto--vendors TO the department, not retail POS outlets. But if Publix is under contract with the lotto to provide onsite catering or something, then the line wouldn't be as blurry. Where's Sanjay?

You are correct, sir ...

24.103 Definitions.As used in this act:

(1) “Department” means the Department of the Lottery.
(2) “Secretary” means the secretary of the department.
(3) “Person” means any individual, firm, association, joint adventure, partnership, estate, trust, syndicate, fiduciary, corporation, or other group or combination and shall include any agency or political subdivision of the state.
(4) “Major procurement” means a procurement for a contract for the printing of tickets for use in any lottery game, consultation services for the startup of the lottery, any goods or services involving the official recording for lottery game play purposes of a player’s selections in any lottery game involving player selections, any goods or services involving the receiving of a player’s selection directly from a player in any lottery game involving player selections, any goods or services involving the drawing, determination, or generation of winners in any lottery game, the security report services provided for in this act, or any goods and services relating to marketing and promotion which exceed a value of $25,000.
(5) “Retailer” means a person who sells lottery tickets on behalf of the department pursuant to a contract.
(6) “Vendor” means a person who provides or proposes to provide goods or services to the department, but does not include an employee of the department, a retailer, or a state agency.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,112
  • Days Won:  6

On 4/23/2016 at 6:40 PM, NavyUSFGuy said:

I bought a lotto ticket on the clock at 9:45 at night, while no one had come through my line in at least 15 minutes mind you, at one of those little machines and they said it was illegal, and I should not have done that. Fired. I **** you not. And it probably had nothing to do with it being the same manager who fired my brother who was a produce manager for 10 years just 3 months before.... Hmm... I was there 5 years and they did me wrong. But that is A okay, I am going to be physician assistant making a ton more money, and spending it at other stores. Again, Publix blows :o Bring on more negative votes

You should have bought that ticket on your day off.  

50300795.jpg

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

On 4/24/2016 at 8:11 AM, raptorcj said:

Here. I had no idea this thread was still kicking and for this reason.

It is not against state law for an employee of a store to buy lottery tickets. However, it very well might be against Publix policy, specifically while on the clock, which presumably is in their employee handbook. Florida is essentially a right-to-work state which means in the big scheme you can be fired for any or no reason with the caveat they cannot fire you for the "wrong" reason. The wrong reasons being you are part of a "protected class." Also, if the employer has codes of conduct, a handbook or has an employment contract with the employee the employer will be expected to follow those or may subject itself to a "breach of contract" type claim. My guess is that there was something in a Publix employment handbook into which the lottery purchase fit.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, SANJAY said:

Here. I had no idea this thread was still kicking and for this reason.

It is not against state law for an employee of a store to buy lottery tickets. However, it very well might be against Publix policy, specifically while on the clock, which presumably is in their employee handbook.

My guess is it probably had nothing to do with the lottery purchase itself but was more about leaving his post for an unauthorized reason ..... Plus, just a hunch, but maybe there was more to story than what was presented.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

29 minutes ago, Triple B said:

My guess is it probably had nothing to do with the lottery purchase itself but was more about leaving his post for an unauthorized reason ..... Plus, just a hunch, but maybe there was more to story than what was presented.

This is truth.  I know for a fact that it's relatively difficult, especially if you work in a store in Florida, and in the Lakeland Division, to get fired from Publix.