• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS Tampa Questioning USF athletics expense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

4 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

So, you blame Obama and the playoff system for USF's poor attendance, and pitiful contributions?

If sports is one of the main reasons that USF has grown academically, then why is student attendance at athletic events so low?

IMO, it should be against the law fund inter-collegiate athletics with student fees.  

But, it's ok that all the programs that are now P5 programs did exactly that in the past. We just can't do that because we didn't start out 100 years ago right?

I read more BS on this board every day. Does USF now have a degree field covering rhetoric???

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like a pretty narrow article trying to create controversy. 

Every college is charging these student fees. Even the ones with large donor bases. Im sure there are loads of college fees tacked on that are a bigger scam and arent athletic related. 

So then why single out USF?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, Ned A Starr said:

One would have to be blind to believe USF announced attendance isn't totally fabricated.  

Well yes but the point is every other school also fluffs their  "announced attendance" in the same way USF does, but our tenants go out of their way to reveal the "scanned number that passed through the turnstyle" number so the media can use that as ammunition. It's not great that the person/ST Holder/business did not show up to a game they bought a ticket for, but that is still monetary support. Unless I'm getting this whole announced v actual thing wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

10 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

One would have to be blind to believe USF announced attendance isn't totally fabricated.  

Ion basically answered me, but as far as fabrications go-UCF did the exact same thing for most of the season. They announced attendance of something ridiculous like 25-30k. But I doubt there was more than 2000 in the stands for their game against us. 

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Athletics and Academics should be partitioned

(no student funds to prop up athletics)

• Upvote 1

It's just another example of the crap coverage we get by our local rags. :angrymob:

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

If ND, Oklahoma, Florida, etc fluffed their numbers the way USF does, they would be claiming numbers so far beyond the size of their stadiums capacity that the media would have a field day.  Great material for SNL!

No, they wouldn't. 

It's not fluffing numbers to report tickets distributed. ND, Oklahoma, and UF sell mountains of tickets, they could sell 80k tickets, distribute 10k more for students and for free,  and have actual attendance of 60k. But they'd report 90k. The max number is stadium capacity, unless of course there are cases where more than stadium capacity was sold and they had to add seats or whatever (see, WVU 2007).  

I would agree if they did so on every team but, we both know they don't. So to me it's total BS!

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  36
  • Days Won:  0

Where to start. We are talking about $400 a year? Seriously? Out of a minimum of $21k? It is always funny to me that there is never a news story about subsidies paid to athletic departments at P5 schools.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, panama said:

Where to start. We are talking about $400 a year? Seriously? Out of a minimum of $21k? It is always funny to me that there is never a news story about subsidies paid to athletic departments at P5 schools.

Exactly. Preach on brother!!!!! :GoBulls: