• Become a member

It's quick and free - and you will unlock other areas and features of The Bulls Pen as well as reduce the number of ads you see throughout the site.

Apis Bull

For Bourbon Folks

On 5/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, GaUSFBull said:

What does everyone think of straight up Jim Beam bourbon?  Recently acquired a bottle ... do people like it neat?  On rocks?  Or is it mainly a bourbon for mixing?

Words that come to mind at the mention of Jim Beam White are paint thinner. 

Went to the liquor store to re-up for the Derby party this weekend looking for Ol' Elijah Craig 12 year, which I always found to be a great value at $30. I learned that it is now this:

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/10/heaven-hill-redesigns-elijah-craig-small-batch/

elijah-craig-small-batch

A blend of 8 and 12 year barrels. Still quite good, but a step down from what it once was.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:46 PM, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Words that come to mind at the mention of Jim Beam White are paint thinner. 

If I were you, I would stop mixing the two and drinking it immediately!  

On 5/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, GaUSFBull said:

What does everyone think of straight up Jim Beam bourbon?  Recently acquired a bottle ... do people like it neat?  On rocks?  Or is it mainly a bourbon for mixing?

Jack or Jim mixed coke and a lime is my typical cocktail drink order. Although Me and Jim go way back to high school, I will admit I am also new to the Bourbon world outside of that.

I am looking to get into trying some bourbons that are good to drink straight. I don't usually like things neat so any suggestions that go well on the rocks would be appreciated. 

11 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Jack or Jim mixed coke and a lime is my typical cocktail drink order. Although Me and Jim go way back to high school, I will admit I am also new to the Bourbon world outside of that.

I am looking to get into trying some bourbons that are good to drink straight. I don't usually like things neat so any suggestions that go well on the rocks would be appreciated. 

Four Roses Small Batch

Knob Creek

Elijah Craig

Makers Mark

21 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Four Roses Small Batch

Knob Creek

Elijah Craig

Makers Mark

Thanks, I read earlier where someone said to try Knob Creek and Makers Mark and that will give you idea into your likes. I think I will start with those as I have also seen them in my local liquor store. I live in the middle of no where so selection can be an issue. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Thanks, I read earlier where someone said to try Knob Creek and Makers Mark and that will give you idea into your likes. I think I will start with those as I have also seen them in my local liquor store. I live in the middle of no where so selection can be an issue. 

You’re welcome.

Maker’s is a wheat bourbon (sweeter), while the others are rye bourbons (spicier).

While I recommend Knob Creek,  In your case I would go with the Four Roses  Small Batch, and Maker’s.   If you can’t find the FR Small Batch,  look for  it’s cheaper cousin, Four Roses (Yellow Label).

If your house water is chlorinated or contains iron, it will negatively  affect the taste of the 🥃..buy a bag of ice in a store. 

Enjoy!

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise