• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Poll about next year's home game against UCF

Next year's home game against ucf  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

what teams would they rotate in? There aren't many other 'rivalries' in our conference. They may be able to manufacture one between either SMU vs Houston, SMU vs Tulsa, or Houston vs Tulane; but we all see that way that looks right now and yuck. Houston vs Memphis might have had legs, but it walked out of the building.

I agree with you. There aren't "real" rivalries in the conference besides ours. But rotating other games that weekend would give us a break. Maybe Cincy-UConn in addition to the ones you mentioned. Every 4 or 5 years is okay with me, and they can keep the USF-UCF game that weekend, but Thanksgiving night is uncool to do to our players and staff and their families as well as our fans and their families every single year, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It's tough, but I'd probably do it again. Still, would rather it be Friday or Saturday.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I agree with you. There aren't "real" rivalries in the conference besides ours. But rotating other games that weekend would give us a break. Maybe Cincy-UConn in addition to the ones you mentioned. Every 4 or 5 years is okay with me, and they can keep the USF-UCF game that weekend, but Thanksgiving night is uncool to do to our players and staff and their families as well as our fans and their families every single year, IMHO.

I completely agree that it is really rough for everyone involved, especially if it becomes the yearly thing. Idk about 4-5 year though, I think we might get 2-3 max. Although if our teams are doing well we should be able to slide into a Friday night or something more convenient for our fans.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  441
  • Days Won:  2

Smu and Navy have a sort of rivalry. They even have a trophy for it, the Gansz Trophy. Might be part of the reason Navy wanted to be in the west.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

Thanksgiving Day game is for TV only (for me) - I usually have a lot of family over.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

The primary reason Navy wanted to be in the West is because Texas is a huge recruiting state for them.  As for Thanksgiving, I am considering taking the whole family to the game and making it a new holiday tradition.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I appreciate the responses.  

I believe almost all of the current Bulls Pen users are what could be considered "die-hard" Bulls fans and likely season ticket holders.  So I look at the results as a small sample that can be used to determine what the die-hards are thinking--about 2/3 of die-hard fans (so far) are saying they may have an issue making the game if it were to be held on Thanksgiving again.  None of this is scientific, but I would imagine that the general public and average "meh" fans would be even less likely to go than the die-hards.  

I was hoping the athletic department would get a consensus from the season ticket base before "agreeing" to the game being played on Thanksgiving night.  Is it really prime-time when you have NFL and probably another (P5) college game on at the same time?  Just a ploy for ESPN to get content?

Then again, if this game has conference championship implications, it could be a whole different story.

I'm guessing we the season ticket holders will have to pay before we know what day the game will be.

Edited by MaltLiquorBull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

We travel over 200 miles to games.  This is just not possible on Thanksgiving and will watch on TV.

Decision to play on the holiday disappoints me because we look forward to game weekends.  The way it stands now, we lose one.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Is there any (I'm not looking it up, just for conversation) thoughts on the TV ratings for that game? Thinking as to keeping the Thursday night game by ESPN (eyes on commercials) and the relationship with the AAC, is it possible that the AAC & ESPN rotate teams through the Thanksgiving game (e.g. SMU x Tulsa, Memphis x Cincinnati) to keep the conference in front of an audience, not necessarily the teams? If the conference wanted some sort of national faux P5 toe-hold, maintaining the Thanksgiving Night AAC football game might be the way to go. 

I think keeping it the last game of the season has merit, and either a Friday or Saturday after the holiday would be fine. I won't be attending any football game on Thanksgiving, regardless of venue. I'll sit in front of the TV with post-thanksgiving dinner dessert, but that's about it. 

Edited by WoolyBully
expanded comment