• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF "Pink" Unis for SMU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

ashamed that my team actually chose this.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Eh, I'm pretty ok with most of it, though I was kinda hoping the helmet would be the matte whites with the oversized U in pink

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Just guessing but maybe the school doesn't pay anything for the pink stuff, with the suppliers footing the bill as a donation ...

Schools don't pay for any of their jerseys, helmets, cleats, etc. 

The corporations (Nike, Under Armour, Adidas) pay the schools to wear their gear, and they provide them to the school. 

• Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

This is just another example of corporate greed. Most of these companies that come out with pink merchandise (pink-washing) donate very little amount (if any) to actual cancer research or treatment. 

And it is not just Komen that is cashing in on the pink.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

all in all-- it's really not a huge deal. I lost a grandmother to breast cancer in the early 70s but we never made a huge fuss about the whole thing-- I was very young.

Anyway-- it may not have the "Cool" factor of the Armed forces tributes, but it has a similar sentiment. Don't let it bother you. With any luck, it will be easier to see those pink gloves in a crowd of  of receivers when throwing a pass. We might want to find out if SMU is doing anything pink related for this game. Hopefully not the gloves.

caution-- rambing run-on sentence ahead....

And while I agree that money spent on this-- even if by a sponsor -- might be better off spent directly on funding all forms of cancer research (why we give breast cancer more attention than other more deadly and prevalent diseases is fairly annoying), if they can raise more "awareness" (as if anyone in the world isn't aware of it by now) and/or money auctioning off the uniforms, then I guess it will be effective. I feel for people who have gone through cancer battles of all types. My dad is a survivor of lung cancer now since diagnosed in 2008 with a half year to live. One less lung and some excellent care by MD Anderson (now UF Health) and he is a poster boy for the program... as seen in numerous billboards all around Orlando and a massive sign on their crosswalk.

8ofz7TV.jpg

kif4Kjx.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I think the PINK is now part of football and it is here to stay.  It's been part of the NFL for a few seasons now.  I suppose it's ok, and I hope most of the money gets to where it's intended to go (to find a cure for breast cancer).  Here's where I think we're going:  In about 10-15 years, every game on the schedule will have some kind of "theme" to it for a popular cause.  There will be a "domestic abuse awareness" game, a "stop bullying" game, maybe even a rainbow themed "LBGT" game.  You laugh now, but this seems to be the way things are going.

I'm not at all trying to make light of the seriousness of breast (or any other) kind of cancer and the need to find a cure or at least come up with new treatment methods, but I'm just feeling like the over-the-top PC stuff is getting out of hand.  It's creeping into football now, too.  Let's do the pink game and keep the armed services game, but please...let's stop there and don't add any more.

Before you flame me for my post, read it slowly.  I'm not trying to engage you, enrage you or start a conflict.  This is how arguments go these days:

Me:  Wow, those pink uniforms are a little over the top, aren't they?

Other person:  Oh, so you don't support a cure for breast cancer?  

Me:  No that's not what I said.  I was just commenting on the pink uniforms.  What will they think of next?

Other person:  You know, my sister had breast cancer.  I can't believe you are so full of hate.  You hate my sister.  You want her to die.

Me:  Hate?  No.  I was just talking about the uniforms.  Sorry to hear about your sister.  Is she ok now?

Other person:  You probably hate the environment and want to kill all puppies, too.

Me:  No.  Not at all.  I was just commenting on the uniforms today.  

I think I'll start an non-profit organization to "stop the spread of political correctness."  We can have a theme game where the 2 teams wear their standard uniforms and play football.  For 1 weekend, the only theme or cause would be football.  (But we'll still salute our war heroes during TV time outs and give them standing ovations because this is just the right thing to do.)

End of rant.

Go Bulls!  Beat SMU.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

I think the PINK is now part of football and it is here to stay.  It's been part of the NFL for a few seasons now.  I suppose it's ok, and I hope most of the money gets to where it's intended to go (to find a cure for breast cancer).  Here's where I think we're going:  In about 10-15 years, every game on the schedule will have some kind of "theme" to it for a popular cause.  There will be a "domestic abuse awareness" game, a "stop bullying" game, maybe even a rainbow themed "LBGT" game.  You laugh now, but this seems to be the way things are going.

I'm not at all trying to make light of the seriousness of breast (or any other) kind of cancer and the need to find a cure or at least come up with new treatment methods, but I'm just feeling like the over-the-top PC stuff is getting out of hand.  It's creeping into football now, too.  Let's do the pink game and keep the armed services game, but please...let's stop there and don't add any more.

Before you flame me for my post, read it slowly.  I'm not trying to engage you, enrage you or start a conflict.  This is how arguments go these days:

Me:  No that's not what I said.  I was just commenting on the pink uniforms.  What will they think of next?

Other person:  You know, my sister had breast cancer.  I can't believe you are so full of hate.  You hate my sister.  You want her to die.

Me:  Hate?  No.  I was just talking about the uniforms.  Sorry to hear about your sister.  Is she ok now?

Other person:  You probably hate the environment and want to kill all puppies, too.

I think I'll start an non-profit organization to "stop the spread of political correctness."  We can have a theme game where the 2 teams wear their standard uniforms and play football.  For 1 weekend, the only theme or cause would be football.  (But we'll still salute our war heroes during TV time outs and give them standing ovations because this is just the right thing to do.)

End of rant.

Go Bulls!  Beat SMU.

that's funny

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

End of rant.

Go Bulls!  Beat SMU.

that's funny

yes--- and it was funnier when I watched the last South Park which had about the same message. 

I don't agree or disagree with the feelings of the maltliquorbull-- just pointing out the similarity to the latest South Park episode.

anyway-- I am not sure if it is so much about being PC as it is the proliferation of networking, social media, cross pollination, and whatever buzz word gets thrown around these days. Lets make it VIRAL. It's so much more than just football.

No actually -- it is exactly JUST FOOTBALL. well at least it used to be...... grumble grumble......

• Upvote 1