• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Keys against Maryland

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Convert on 3rd down and don't turn the ball over.

We win if we do those 2 things.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

2. Pass well. The Flowers haters are right. 1-13 on 3rd down isn't good enough.

Saying that is not good enough is an understatement.  The QF lovers will say that our receivers dropped a dozen balls and this is the reason we were 1-13.  

My opinion, what we have shown so far is good enough to beat Maryland, except for our quarterback play.  QF could easily sink us here if Maryland puts 8 in the box , takes away the run on 3rd down, and forces QF to throw to receivers who are not open by 5 yards or more.   

Not a chance. They stack the box and you run a couple quick slants, screen plays, or even a bubble screen and our speed will put them right back into their base defense. 

They are giving up nearly 500 yards a game!

We will be just fine.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1-13 3rd down conversions is bad, but I'm willing to give our offense a pass against a top 10 team.

I do anticipate a better conversion rate tomorrow, though.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  0

Our think our O-line, TE and RB's are our strength's.   We will have to run the ball well to win the game and I think we will do just that.   If Maryland is able to stop our running game and put us in a lot of passing situations then we are in big trouble.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'd like to see our first play from scrimmage be a bomb to a WR on a go route.  Just because we pretty much run Mack on first play from scrimmage most of the time and I'll bet the MD defense wouldn't be expecting it.  

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

I'd like to see our first play from scrimmage be a bomb to a WR on a go route.  Just because we pretty much run Mack on first play from scrimmage most of the time and I'll bet the MD defense wouldn't be expecting it.  

That would certainly open up room for Mack later in the game.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Good call.  I'm not a bettin' man or the Maryland DC, but if I was, I'd say our first play from scrimmage would be Mack up the middle.

Edited by MaltLiquorBull

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

1-13 3rd down conversions is bad, but I'm willing to give our offense a pass against a top 10 team.

I do anticipate a better conversion rate tomorrow, though.  

If we only convert 7% of our third downs against Maryland, it's going to be a long season.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

I'd like to see our first play from scrimmage be a bomb to a WR on a go route. Just because we pretty much run Mack on first play from scrimmage most of the time and I'll bet the MD defense wouldn't be expecting it.

My guess is it would never happen, but depending on field position I would love to see the first set of downs be all throws down the field. Even if we go 3 and out get the safeties out of the box and get them thinking. That will open up the run and keep them honest.

As long as we are not down on our first possession and we are past our own 30 lets air it out. Worst case scenario is you have one of the best punters in the country and we have our strong D on the field.

I hope Taggart comes out with the mind set of playing to win and not just grind it put to stay close.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

Our defense needs to create multiple turnovers, Nigel Harris might help on that end.