• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flowers as QB positives

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,115
  • Days Won:  7

I know that most people are pretty ticked off at Flower's lack of accuracy. And it's a fair point. But I'd like to point to one thing.

Even though he hasn't had the best accuracy-he's had good decision making. All those drops, misses, etc., where places where we were in a position where had the catch been made, we would have scored. 

Bobby Eveld would have had 3 or 4 INTs against FSU's secondary-they are simply that good. Flowers had 1 and one more potential INT. When he's missed, generally the  ball hasn't gotten picked off (with the exception of the throw to Dillon in the end zone). 

And for now? That's okay. Flowers has development to do, but at least he's making good decisions and taking off on the ground when the pass isn't there. I think that's why Taggart chose him as starter. Run the ball with him and Mack/Tice/Johnson, take shots to Dillon and whoever gets open, and I think the passing will improve.

Any other people see positives in Flowers?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Escape-ability AND vision. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The QB on the field for USF will always get the most noise here on TBP. I definitely think QF gives us the most flexibility, but again I'd say if we run into a wall with the running game, Bench might need to take some snaps. I agree though, QF seems to make the best decisions and have the most poise.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

He is not or tall and we can buy his USF gear off the rack

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Escape-ability AND vision. 

This.  When the line collapses, he doesn't have to turn into a turtle.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

Also, FSU defense.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

QF seems to take care of the ball more than Bench does, but he still has to be able to hit those intermediate throws to open receiver.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

We don't have to worry about excessive celebration penalties after a difficult pass and competition. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

An observation I have about Flowers' passing game is he looks like he has been instructed to throw only if a receiver is completely and absolutely wide open.  It almost looks like he has never thrown to recievers with a defender within 10 yards of a receiver before.  Almost every pass that he has completed so far has either been a bubble screen or the receiver had no defenders anywhere near him. Just about every miss has not even been close.  the exceptions have been the long throw down the sideline to Barr that was almost picked off and the throw to the right sideline that was a bit too high and receiver caught it barely out of bounds.  Almost seems that he is more afraid of getting picked off than actually trying to complete a pass.  Maybe that is coming from the coaching staff.

As far as positives, he has some escapability to him.  I have not been impressed yet with his overall running ability.  Looks fast enough, but hasn't shown he can take over a game the way we have seen from other running QBs (either our own or opponents)   If we were running a true read option spread it would maybe make more of a difference and a chance to showcase his running ability, but doesn't really look like we are running read option that often.

i think the coaches can do more for him to allow him to make some higher percentage passes by rolling him out and give him a run-throw option.

I haven't really had the chance to pay attention, but how has he been doing with his reads and decisions on the read option plays?  Before his dump off pass to Johnson for the TD, He blew the correct read and handed off into the pile at the goal line.  He could have walked into the endzone if he kept it as the hwole defense crashe don that play.  He knew it too.