• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart Interview

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

I agree with USFbulls24, he is going to say rah rah we are going to be great and it is an exciting year.  He says that every year. 

Just like most every other coach out there when asked that question ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I have to wonder how the change in staff will impact Coach T and the team? Cooper, Bres, and Wulff most likely had very different philosophies then the new crowd we have in charge. I hope that having Kinnan, Hope, and the others on the staff will help Coach T make better decisions. Maybe with this new group there will be greater trust and more cohesion with the staff.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

-Called out the talent level of past teams. Particularly the recievers. Anyone whos watched the Bulls last several years knows he speaks truth...

Besides Davis the last 2 years who else did we have at receiver...I can't recall.

Adams and Bronson looked good in limited action last year.

Holtz really left wr and qb tallent bare besides Davis.

I seem to recall multiple receivers bailing out after Taggart was brought in as head coach.  So it's great to criticize others, but sometimes the fault is your own.

I am more optimistic than I have been in a while, but I have been disappointed two years in a row by the coaches decision making overall.  I hope Kinnan can knock some sense into his former pupil,

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Did anyone ask him about his consistently poor in-game decision making? Or did they sugar coat it? Wonder if they have the balls to ask Taggart what his expectations are for the season? Why be down when you're making $1M+ a season and you're always able to blame the previous regime for your troubles? How much worse do things need to get before he gets shown the door? It's not his first rodeo - so the learning process should have been a lot quicker with Team #2. We are in a miserable conference with very little talent - there's no reason why he can't have a team competing for a conference championship this season. Anything else should be considered a complete underachievement.

...sure, let's fire a coach every three years. That will definitely build the stability we need to win conference and get a P5 call up....smh

Gotcha...make sense to me.

There's no point in even asking what his expectations for the season is because you'll get the same answer he's given the last few months. Expect a good football team, to play in a new years eve bowl game (lol). Other than the select few big time programs most coaches are just going to say "I'm excited, I'm expecting big things".

I agree we should've been better than we were last year, but couldn't expect too much out of that team. We are in an awful conference so a good coach shouldn't need a loaded roster to be near the top if not at the top of this conference especially in year 3 now.

I think Taggart takes more heat than he normally would given the circumstances he took over because he runs our offense that has been nothing short of piss-poor. Other than we have a new offensive system, new defensive system, and the notion of our guys are getting older and more experienced so they're going to get better (none are guarantees) we don't have anything to point to of substance to really know that things are going to start to be awesome this year. It's not like this team has a solid offense and we just need to pick up the slack on defense, or we are one good group of WR away from being a serious offense or something like that.

Cyber - If the coach is crapping the bed over a 3 year tenure in the AAC he's gotta go. You're not taking over Vanderbilt in the SEC. This is USF in the AAC. Look at Justin Fuente and Memphis. His first two years there, they were 7-17. In year 3 they went 10-3 and were co-champs of the conference. I don't think you could look at their roster and say wow Memphis just had so much talent to work with they had no choice but to go 10-3.

Stability is important, but if you don't have what it takes to get the job done they've gotta go. If you look at the flip side going for stability you could stick with a guy for 5-7 years and that just sets your program back even more than firing a few coaches after 3 seasons.

There it all is in a nutshell...QFT

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

-Called out the talent level of past teams. Particularly the recievers. Anyone whos watched the Bulls last several years knows he speaks truth...

Besides Davis the last 2 years who else did we have at receiver...I can't recall.

I seem to recall multiple receivers bailing out after Taggart was brought in as head coach.  So it's great to criticize others, but sometimes the fault is your own.

I am more optimistic than I have been in a while, but I have been disappointed two years in a row by the coaches decision making overall.  I hope Kinnan can knock some sense into his former pupil,

It wasn't multiple, it was Dvario Montgomery and he was upset Skip got fired.  He was the exception.  Skips WR recruits were not that good... actually they were pretty bad as a whole.

Did anyone ask him about his consistently poor in-game decision making? Or did they sugar coat it? Wonder if they have the balls to ask Taggart what his expectations are for the season? Why be down when you're making $1M+ a season and you're always able to blame the previous regime for your troubles? How much worse do things need to get before he gets shown the door? It's not his first rodeo - so the learning process should have been a lot quicker with Team #2. We are in a miserable conference with very little talent - there's no reason why he can't have a team competing for a conference championship this season. Anything else should be considered a complete underachievement.

...sure, let's fire a coach every three years. That will definitely build the stability we need to win conference and get a P5 call up....smh

Gotcha...make sense to me.

There's no point in even asking what his expectations for the season is because you'll get the same answer he's given the last few months. Expect a good football team, to play in a new years eve bowl game (lol). Other than the select few big time programs most coaches are just going to say "I'm excited, I'm expecting big things". 

I agree we should've been better than we were last year, but couldn't expect too much out of that team. We are in an awful conference so a good coach shouldn't need a loaded roster to be near the top if not at the top of this conference especially in year 3 now.

I think Taggart takes more heat than he normally would given the circumstances he took over because he runs our offense that has been nothing short of piss-poor. Other than we have a new offensive system, new defensive system, and the notion of our guys are getting older and more experienced so they're going to get better (none are guarantees) we don't have anything to point to of substance to really know that things are going to start to be awesome this year. It's not like this team has a solid offense and we just need to pick up the slack on defense, or we are one good group of WR away from being a serious offense or something like that.

Cyber - If the coach is crapping the bed over a 3 year tenure in the AAC he's gotta go. You're not taking over Vanderbilt in the SEC. This is USF in the AAC. Look at Justin Fuente and Memphis. His first two years there, they were 7-17. In year 3 they went 10-3 and were co-champs of the conference. I don't think you could look at their roster and say wow Memphis just had so much talent to work with they had no choice but to go 10-3. 

Stability is important, but if you don't have what it takes to get the job done they've gotta go. If you look at the flip side going for stability you could stick with a guy for 5-7 years and that just sets your program back even more than firing a few coaches after 3 seasons. 

This

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,585
  • Days Won:  423

It wasn't multiple, it was Dvario Montgomery and he was upset Skip got fired.  He was the exception.  Skips WR recruits were not that good... actually they were pretty bad as a whole.

DIdn't Sterling Griffin leave, too?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Yup, followed Coach Windbreaker to LaTech.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Yep, definitely more than just D'Vario.  I think a commit or two bailed as well.

Yep, definitely more than just D'Vario.  I think a commit or two bailed as well.

Sterling left because he'd played his 5th year at USF and was granted another year.  He was not the same player 3 knee surgeries later.  I guess everyone forgot he was injured and they kept granting.  I mean to spit hairs, yes Sterling left to go with Holtz at La Tech... didn't start and barely contributed... but ok... he left.  

I don't count commits.... anytime a coach is fired commits go.  I'm talking signed players and guys on the team.