• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football players will get a $4,500 CoA stipend in 15-16

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sounds like the  exploitation continues

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Athletes should get paid similar to other student positions. $7 to $10 an hour for 10 to 20 hours per week.

Federal Work Study Program is completely different than paying them a stipend.

These kids are getting tuition and fees, room, and board.

What more do you want? Higher education here in this country is not a right and you don't have to attend. Be happy they prvoving you an education where you have a chance to make a living and support a family after sports.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Athletes should get paid similar to other student positions. $7 to $10 an hour for 10 to 20 hours per week.

What more do you want? Higher education here in this country is not a right and you don't have to attend. Be happy they prvoving you an education where you have a chance to make a living and support a family after sports.

If they don't want to be "exploited" then they should go ahead and play at a smaller school (such as FCS)

Then watch them complain that it will hurt their NFL dreams.. Which then reveals the true benefits they are actually getting besides a free education: Free world class training and support along with free national advertising/exposure.

Let them afford that on their own dime

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

gragrad students get tuition covered and a big enough monthly stipend to cover room and board and food and fees. I did the math, after removing the cost of room and board and food thst athletes don't pay an equivalent compansation would be a few hundred per month. This is right in line with the 5000 a year. I think it is very fair compensation and of equivalent value to what grad students get.

Grad student compensation could a good model for athletes. Pay tuition plus monthly stipend. Student pays for room and board, food, and books and fees. I think the school coving those is better for the athletes because not all will be good at managing their money. Grad students are in general more mature and more able to manage these expenses themselves than 18 and 19 year old student athletes.

gragrad students get tuition covered and a big enough monthly stipend to cover room and board and food and fees. I did the math, after removing the cost of room and board and food thst athletes don't pay an equivalent compansation would be a few hundred per month. This is right in line with the 5000 a year. I think it is very fair compensation and of equivalent value to what grad students get.

Grad student compensation could a good model for athletes. Pay tuition plus monthly stipend. Student pays for room and board, food, and books and fees. I think the school coving those is better for the athletes because not all will be good at managing their money. Grad students are in general more mature and more able to manage these expenses themselves than 18 and 19 year old student athletes.

Not ALL grad students get scholarships because I know that I didn't.

Terrible comparison, "next one up please."

If they don't want to be "exploited" then they should go ahead and play at a smaller school (such as FCS)

Then watch them complain that it will hurt their NFL dreams.. Which then reveals the true benefits they are actually getting besides a free education: Free world class training and support along with free national advertising/exposure.

Let them afford that on their own dime

Agreed. Well said. Go JUCO or FCS and kill your dreams at making millions over a $5K per year stipend that was taken away/not given, makes sense.:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Not all athletes who want a scholarship get one either.

It is a good comparison. The grad research or teaching assistantship compensation model can also work for student athletes. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

It is a good comparison. The grad research or teaching assistantship compensation model can also work for student athletes. 

It is a pretty good analogy. Our teaching Grad Assistants have tuition and fees covered and make between18,500-22,000. The research ga's make 20-22,000 but normally cover their own fees, unless their pi covers that. Most of these students come from families with more economic means than these players do.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,427
  • Days Won:  19

Partition athletics from academics.

Run it as a business - and athletes can unionize as employees.

Coaches can make whatever they want - and no tax money towards college sports.

They already have that. It's called minor league baseball.

good. let's do it for all college athletics

and keep schools in the business of educating

• Upvote 1

I never said that it COULD'NT work, I just don't asgree with your logic.

So, someone who could possibly come up with a cure for a rare disease should be compensated on the same level as a kid who shoots free throws every day or catches a football?!?!?!?

How can you even compare these two?!?!?!

Sorry, don't see your logic.