• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football players will get a $4,500 CoA stipend in 15-16

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Give me $2000 in 20s, $500 in 10s, $500 in 5s and $1000 in 1s and tell me you'll drop me off on N. Dale Mabry, you know I'm picking USF.

Will it be raining that day?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Just watched a video of George O'Leary talking about cost of attendance stipend.  He brought up a good point that he doesn't see how non P5 schools will be able to sustain the numbers they are giving out...thinks it will put many schools out of the game altogether ultimately.  FWIW he didn't give an exact amount for UCF's stipend but said its around 5k give or take a hundred.  Just also read that they spent only 226K on recruiting last year, so they will spend much more on stipends than actual recruiting. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Just watched a video of George O'Leary talking about cost of attendance stipend. He brought up a good point that he doesn't see how non P5 schools will be able to sustain the numbers they are giving out...thinks it will put many schools out of the game altogether ultimately. FWIW he didn't give an exact amount for UCF's stipend but said its around 5k give or take a hundred. Just also read that they spent only 226K on recruiting last year, so they will spend much more on stipends than actual recruiting.

I may be wrong but...

Stipends are tied to the school's official cost of attendance.

They can't just bring up an arbitrary value... Or base it off a general budget (pay less for something like recruiting and use the excess for the stipends)

This is to prevent schools from actually hiring players. Because then you will really have issues with most "P5" schools unable to compete with TX or Alabama

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

...thinks it will put many schools out of the game altogether ultimately.

Smartest, perhaps most true, thing I've ever heard from GOL.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Depends on what "out of the game altogether" pertains to. Shutting down football? .... or just not being able to pay the athletes the COA, full or partial? The programs that won't be able to do that are probably already out of the game .... Someone needs to get George liquored up some more and have him try to expound on that.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Less than 25 teams run a profit or break even. That's not why schools have football. They tolerate it as a loss leader because it's the way to get the name of the school out there, it's publicity. If it was all p/l, yes, the model is broken and many programs would go under, but it's not seen that way.

Less than 25 teams run a profit or break even. That's not why schools have football. They tolerate it as a loss leader because it's the way to get the name of the school out there, it's publicity. If it was all p/l, yes, the model is broken and many programs would go under, but it's not seen that way.

So you're agreeing or disagreeing with GOL?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Depends on what "out of the game altogether" pertains to. Shutting down football? .... or just not being able to pay the athletes the COA, full or partial? The programs that won't be able to do that are probably already out of the game .... Someone needs to get George liquored up some more and have him try to expound on that.

"Out of the game altogether" sounds nothing "stop paying CofA"

"Out of the game altogether" sounds nothing "stop paying CofA"

Not following ...