• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF football players will get a $4,500 CoA stipend in 15-16

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

Athletes should get paid similar to other student positions. $7 to $10 an hour for 10 to 20 hours per week.

Federal Work Study Program is completely different than paying them a stipend.

These kids are getting tuition and fees, room, and board.

What more do you want? Higher education here in this country is not a right and you don't have to attend. Be happy they prvoving you an education where you have a chance to make a living and support a family after sports.

gragrad students get tuition covered and a big enough monthly stipend to cover room and board and food and fees. I did the math, after removing the cost of room and board and food thst athletes don't pay an equivalent compansation would be a few hundred per month. This is right in line with the 5000 a year. I think it is very fair compensation and of equivalent value to what grad students get.

Grad student compensation could a good model for athletes. Pay tuition plus monthly stipend. Student pays for room and board, food, and books and fees. I think the school coving those is better for the athletes because not all will be good at managing their money. Grad students are in general more mature and more able to manage these expenses themselves than 18 and 19 year old student athletes.

Not ALL grad students get scholarships because I know that I didn't.

Terrible comparison, "next one up please."

Not all athletes who want a scholarship get one either.

It is a good comparison. The grad research or teaching assistantship compensation model can also work for student athletes. 

It is a pretty good analogy. Our teaching Grad Assistants have tuition and fees covered and make between18,500-22,000. The research ga's make 20-22,000 but normally cover their own fees, unless their pi covers that. Most of these students come from families with more economic means than these players do.

What in the hell does their economic means have to do with the price of bread!?!?!?

So a rich kid playing football on the same team should get less than another player and in the grad program they should cover more costs of someone with a lower EFC than one who could actually cover their own costs?!?!?!?

I'm confused as to your logic as well.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Athletes should get paid similar to other student positions. $7 to $10 an hour for 10 to 20 hours per week.

What more do you want? Higher education here in this country is not a right and you don't have to attend. Be happy they prvoving you an education where you have a chance to make a living and support a family after sports.

gragrad students get tuition covered and a big enough monthly stipend to cover room and board and food and fees. I did the math, after removing the cost of room and board and food thst athletes don't pay an equivalent compansation would be a few hundred per month. This is right in line with the 5000 a year. I think it is very fair compensation and of equivalent value to what grad students get.

Grad student compensation could a good model for athletes. Pay tuition plus monthly stipend. Student pays for room and board, food, and books and fees. I think the school coving those is better for the athletes because not all will be good at managing their money. Grad students are in general more mature and more able to manage these expenses themselves than 18 and 19 year old student athletes.

It is a good comparison. The grad research or teaching assistantship compensation model can also work for student athletes. 

It is a pretty good analogy. Our teaching Grad Assistants have tuition and fees covered and make between18,500-22,000. The research ga's make 20-22,000 but normally cover their own fees, unless their pi covers that. Most of these students come from families with more economic means than these players do.

What in the hell does their economic means have to do with the price of bread!?!?!?

So a rich kid playing football on the same team should get less than another player and in the grad program they should cover more costs of someone with a lower EFC than one who could actually cover their own costs?!?!?!?

I'm confused as to your logic as well.

both groups are rigorously vetted and and although many may aspire to those ranks, most don't make it to that level.

So a rich kid playing football on the same team should get less than another player and in the grad program they should cover more costs of someone 

So a rich kid playing football

what the hell is wrong with this thing?? Screen glitch can't see anything!!

we do not accept self funded students. Al students receive funding through the university or grants housed here. 

Both groups ups are or should be heavily vetted. 

FYI we do not accept self funded students in this college. Other programs on campus do but not here. 

I made the socioeconomic comment because I think that it's interesting that in many cases we give more things to those who have other means, then those who don't. It's hard getting started and for a kid who has nothing and no support its got to be more difficult than it is for a trust fund baby who's daddy just bought him a condo or in many cases a house, so he can attend school here. Why do so many college athletes get arrested for robbery, selling drug, and all that? Not because daddy just paid their phone bill and drop them their weekly allowance.

FYI we do not accept self funded students in this college. Other programs on campus do but not here. 

I made the socioeconomic comment because I think that it's interesting that in many cases we give more things to those who have other means, then those who don't. It's hard getting started and for a kid who has nothing and no support its got to be more difficult than it is for a trust fund baby who's daddy just bought him a condo or in many cases a house, so he can attend school here. Why do so many college athletes get arrested for robbery, selling drug, and all that? Not because daddy just paid their phone bill and drop them their weekly allowance.

Okay, now you're reaching. 

Why do so many pro athletes get arrested? Hmmmmm I'm guessing because they paid for their own education while playing football at Stanford.

Come on now! So, USF grad programs(or some) don't accept self funded students into those programs?

So, please tell me agiain how your post/comment was relevant to the dicussion than?

Why do so many pro athletes get arrested? Hmmmmm I'm guessing because they paid for their own education while playing football at Stanford.

Come on now! So, USF grad programs(or some) don't accept self funded students into those programs?

So, please tell me agiain how your post/comment was relevant to the dicussion than?

You were complaining about that grad students and student athletes were not similar. Taking for granted that both groups are highly vetted, represent a minority of people  who would like to be in the field, and are both compensate in some way for their service. I was only making the case that maybe more should be done to help the athletes out.  Especially given that the situation that some of these students come from. We have all heard Adrian Peterson's Taco Bell story and how that was not a unique circumstance.

Also, I work at UF homie. I am a proud USF alum and will rep whenever and wherever, but please get my employer straight. Facts matter

Edited by HR Bull

You were complaining about that grad students and student athletes were not similar. Taking for granted that both groups are highly vetted, represent a minority of people  who would like to be in the field, and are both compensate in some way for their service. I was only making the case that maybe more should be done to help the athletes out.  Especially given that the situation that some of these students come from. We have all heard Adrian Peterson's Taco Bell story and how that was not a unique circumstance.

Also, I work at UF homie. I am a proud USF alum and we rep whenever and wherever, but please get my employer straight. Facts matter

LOL okay "homie" moving on.