• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Names on the Back?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe WE should worry about our players playing for the name on the front of the jersey(USF BULLS)  and not the one on the back.

Several other WELL KNOWN programs do the same thing (no name on back). So its not a gimmick, been going on along time with teams with a long standing history (USC, Army, PSU, Notre Dame among others,  ( ND put names on for a few years and went back to old way, no name),  One article I read states the reason is once u put a name on the back u "individualize" it and take away from the "Team Concept".  I tend to agree.

If u have a problem or can not identify players based on their  number u can cross reference them in the football program, line up ect...  As for the players  the Arrogant answer is make sure u play well or horrible and people will be talking about u, U do this and people will know ur name regardless if its on your jersey or not.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

How the hell does a player's name on the back of his jersey take the focus off the team? One of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard. So in the heat of battle a player scores a TD other players say he did it for himself because I can see the name on jersey? Ludicrous!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Personally, I wish they would go back to the name on the back of the jersey.  For me it is more enjoyable, and I don't necessarily want to be checking the roster during the plays to see who got the ball, sack, etc.  

What other schools do or don't do is not relevant to me.  We are not PSU or Notre Dame.  We are USF and up until last season we had the names on the jersey, and should continue with that practice.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

^ Agree, only reason I care about the name is so I don't have to go look it up every time. If it was the culture at USF all along, maybe, but it wasn't.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Gimmicks don't work. Winning does.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Maybe WE should worry about our players playing for the name on the front of the jersey(USF BULLS)  and not the one on the back.

Several other WELL KNOWN programs do the same thing (no name on back). So its not a gimmick, been going on along time with teams with a long standing history (USC, Army, PSU, Notre Dame among others,  ( ND put names on for a few years and went back to old way, no name),  One article I read states the reason is once u put a name on the back u "individualize" it and take away from the "Team Concept".  I tend to agree.

If u have a problem or can not identify players based on their  number u can cross reference them in the football program, line up ect...  As for the players  the Arrogant answer is make sure u play well or horrible and people will be talking about u, U do this and people will know ur name regardless if its on your jersey or not.

it was a gimmick to put "The Team" on the back

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

didn't the announcers have issues with saying the wrong names at times last year?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

I agree. Please bring back the names. If not....put "Leavitt" on each one. That should ring back team spirit. Watching him on the sidelines was fantastic. He had more spirit than anyone there. He made them feel invincible!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,558
  • Days Won:  423

didn't the announcers have issues with saying the wrong names at times last year?

It wouldn't be the announcers having the issues but the spotters who point out the names to them, armed with binoculars and a roster. Names on, names off, "the team" ... they're all gimmicks in one way or another. Got no problem with a coach trying something HE thinks would be motivational .... Personally, I'd let the players vote. The helmet color is tons more critical than names on/off jerseys.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

" Team" Id  say some could call it a gimmick. Im ok with NOTHING on the back (no name, no Team, ect..)    As for announcers having a hard time, is only a reflection on them not doing their job. (learning the players numbers/ names before they call/ announce the game).

Maybe some can use their Smart phones to learn the players names/numbers  they root for?