• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WBB Monday Night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

It's about time people discover and support WBB, especially at USF. CJF is a winner and expects your best every second.

Show up Monday night!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

amazing what winning does for a program/school

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,637
  • Days Won:  3

I'm both proud and ashamed to say I'll be going to my first women's basketball game Monday night.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

Stupid question - why do we get the home game when we are lower ranked?

Louisville has a men's game that conflicts

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816

:applause:  Bravo, Coach Fernandez!

-------------------------------------------------

Bulls ignore lawsuit turmoil

November 15, 2000

TAMPA - Without suspended Coach Jerry Ann Winters, South Florida tries to put its off-the-court distractions aside.

On Sunday, South Florida begins its 29th - and easily most publicized - women's basketball season in history when the Bulls visit Arizona State.

For a program with only three winning seasons in the last 21 years, the media coverage of the Bulls has been unprecedented leading up to this year.

The reasons, of course, have nothing to do with the current basketball team. Seven racial discrimination lawsuits have been filed against the university and against Coach Jerry Ann Winters, who will appeal a university-imposed suspension today.

Interim coach Jose
Fernandez
believes the off-the-court distractions won't affect the Bulls.

"It hasn't affected us so far," said Fernandez, who came to USF as an assistant in April. "This team has been pretty mature in sticking together with everything that's gone on."

The motivation for this season, Fernandez said, is proving the skeptics wrong. The Bulls, 13-16 last season, were picked by Conference USA coaches to finish in the league's cellar.

"The team is disappointed in that," Fernandez said. "They want to make a statement this year after going 3-13 [in C-USA] last year. We want to surprise people this year."

Last season, the Bulls opened with a schedule filled with lightweight opponents and raced to a 10-1 start. With an upgraded nonconference schedule featuring Arizona State, Kansas State, Western Kentucky, Auburn and Indiana, Fernandez realizes the Bulls might take their lumps early - especially with only one senior starter.

"We are definitely going to be tested early," Fernandez said. "It's going to prepare us for conference play.

Senior guard Shannon Layne, who will be joined in the starting lineup by sophomores Aiya Shepard, Lindsey Smith and Ashley Teets and freshman Melissa Tape, will be expected to provide leadership.

Layne, the nation's No. 10 three-point shooter as a sophomore, is 11 three-pointers shy of becoming the school's all-time leader.

Fernandez said the Bulls' youth isn't his biggest concern.

"The key thing is to stay away from injuries because our depth will be a big question," he said. "So we can't afford any injuries."

Coming off the bench will be Denetrice Stinson, Kyla Hill, Sarah Lochmann and Ivana Lukic. Freshman center Rochelle Cherry, who was counted on inside, has been slowed all preseason with an Achilles' tendon injury and is questionable for Sunday's opener.

"I'm just anxious and excited to get started," Fernandez said. "I'm ready to get going. They all believe in each other, in the system and believe in the staff."

(CHART) South Florida Bulls

Coach: x-Jerry Ann Winters (fourth season at USF, 34-48; 24th season overall, 338-288); Jose Fernandez (first season at USF)

Assistants: Harry Elifson, Sadiaa Jones

Last season: 13-16

Conference USA record: 3-13 (tied for fifth in National Division; lost to Southern Miss 60-59 in second round of C-USA Tournament)

Home court: Sun Dome (10,411 capacity)

Ticket information: $4 adults, $2 for ages 4-12 and 55 and over. Free for USF students with valid ID. Call (813) 974-3002.

Outlook: Fernandez was named the Bulls' interim coach after Coach Jerry Ann Winters was suspended Oct. 26. Winters appealed her suspension, but whether she will return remains unknown. If pushing aside any distractions isn't difficult enough, the Bulls - who start three sophomores and one freshman - must mature quickly and replace senior Monica Echeverria, who led them in scoring (16.1), rebounding (10.3) and was second in assists (3.3) and steals (2.4). The lone senior starter is Shannon Layne,who is the second-leading three-point shooter in school history. Layne will be joined in starting lineup by sophomores Aiya Shepard, Lindsey Smith and Ashley Teets and freshman Melissa Tape. Junior Denetrice Stinson, who started 24 games last season, will be the first player off the bench.

Did you know? The Bulls began last season 10-1, the second-best start in school history, but finished 13-16. ... For the first time, USF swept all five games against state opponents last year. ... At the C-USA Tournament, USF became the first No. 12 seed to win a game, upsetting No. 5 DePaul. ... Shepard, who moved into the starting lineup midway through last season, closed last year by scoring in double figures in six consecutive games and 11 of USF's final 13.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Fernandez set for challenge

December 15, 2000

TAMPA - Three years ago, Jose Fernandez was a finalist to be the University of Miami's recruiting coordinator, but didn't receive the job. Saturday, he'll visit UM as the University of South Florida's head coach when the Bulls play Miami in Coral Gables. "It's funny how things work out," said Fernandez, a Miami native.

Fernandez was named USF's women's basketball coach Thursday. He replaces Jerry Ann Winters, who was fired. Fernandez had been USF's interim coach since Oct. 25, when Winters was suspended by the school after an internal investigation determined she likely retaliated against former player Dione Smith by kicking Smith off the team in April.

Fernandez will be the school's sixth women's basketball coach, but first male, in the program's 29-year history.

"I was hoping to be a head coach by 35," said Fernandez, 29. "But by no means like this. But it's an opportunity. Not many male coaches in the women's game get head coaching opportunities."

USF athletic director Paul Griffin gave Fernandez a two-year contract. This is Fernandez's first college head coaching experience after compiling an 83-16 record at Miami Lourdes Academy High School from 1996-99.

"I have full confidence in Jose and want to give him the full opportunity to set a new direction for our women's basketball program," Griffin said.

The Bulls (2-5) have had only three winning seasons in the last 22 years and were 47-64 in four seasons under Winters.

Fernandez, USF's recruiting coordinator since April, helped the Bulls sign five players last month, giving USF an unprecedented nationally ranked top 25 recruiting class.

Fernandez is looking forward to proving what he can do at USF.

"I have extreme confidence and know I can motivate and coach this basketball team," Fernandez said. "I know I was in the right place at the right time. I won't let this university down."

(CHART) Fernandez Bio

Coaching experience: 2000 - Assistant women's coach, South Florida. 1999-00 - Assistant women's coach, Barry University. 1996-99 - Head girls coach, Miami Lourdes Academy. 1995-96 - Assistant men's coach, Barry University. 1993-94 - Assistant boys varsity coach, Miami Sunset High. 1992 - Assistant men's coach, Miami-Dade Kendall Community College. 1990-91 -Student assistant coach, Miami-Dade Kendall Community College.

Playing experience: 1986-89 - Played at Miami Southwest High

Personal: A graduate of Miami Southwest High School, Fernandez graduated from Florida International with a bachelor of science in physical education. ... Fernandez's only previous head coaching stint was at Miami Lourdes Academy, compiling an 83-16 record, including an appearance in the 1998 Class 5A state final. ... Fernandez and his wife of two years, Elizabeth, are expecting their first child in January.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131

Boomer, you will not be disappointed in the product.  The women's game has changed over the last 20 years.  They are solid and can play the game. Have a blast!

I still laugh at the notion that some on this board have characterized it as intramural like and that a team of the best intramural players at USF (men) could beat our women.  They'd be gassed in the first ten minutes. 

Go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

I'm both proud and ashamed to say I'll be going to my first women's basketball game Monday night.

Just don't make it your last even if the Bull's are not victorious.  They return everyone except Tamara Taylor and will even better next year.  Season tix are inexpensive so even if you can't make all the games it is a great investment. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed the game is much better then I sexistly thought. These girls can ball.

Great job by Coach F. We went to our first game this year thanks to Bausf and will be season ticket holders next year.

See you all Monday night! How refreshing to have a winning program around here.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Donations to ones alma mater does more.

Donations to ones alma mater does more.

Not so sure about that... because winning leads to more donations.

Chickens and eggs, I suppose.