• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soooooo....... Is the Miami Beach Bowl our top bowl tie-in?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Bowl games are going away except for maybe 10 to 12 of them. There are 36 now. In the old days there was usually some weird mathematical formula that said if you win your bowl and the othes above you lose, there's a chance the natty champ could come from any of the top 5 bowl games. Now it's all pre determined and if you're not in the playoff there no chance you can win it all. This sucks. I miss the days of split champs and controversy.

Been hearing that for years now. ESPN has time slots to fill during the holidays when many are off so I seriously doubt it.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

Bowl games are going away except for maybe 10 to 12 of them. There are 36 now. In the old days there was usually some weird mathematical formula that said if you win your bowl and the othes above you lose, there's a chance the natty champ could come from any of the top 5 bowl games. Now it's all pre determined and if you're not in the playoff there no chance you can win it all. This sucks. I miss the days of split champs and controversy.

Been hearing that for years now. ESPN has time slots to fill during the holidays when many are off so I seriously doubt it.

Still waiting to hear about that story that ESPN is renegotiating with AAC about TV contract. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Still waiting to hear about that story that ESPN is renegotiating with AAC about TV contract.

It's the other way around.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

Unless you are the best of the G5, there isn't much to play for.

That being said, just going to a bowl again is going to feel like playing in a New Years day bowl for me

YUP.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1. There are 39.

2. They aren't going anywhere as long as they make money.

1. There are 39.

THIS.

The reason -- teams in bowls get 15 extra practices.  Temple was 6-6 but didn't get picked, so they don't get to practice.

The extra practices are really the biggest benefit of getting to a bowl game.  Even a crappy one like the Boca Raton bowl.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,746
  • Days Won:  3

1. There are 39.

THIS.

The reason -- teams in bowls get 15 extra practices.  Temple was 6-6 but didn't get picked, so they don't get to practice.

The extra practices are really the biggest benefit of getting to a bowl game.  Even a crappy one like the Boca Raton bowl.

Good points, gentlemen. We migrated from the bowl game being a 'reward for a good season' to being a 'not punished for a mediocre season' some time back.  And as long as my good friends at ESPN have time slots to fill, there will be bowl games. Fan wise, sure, we prefer a bowl game of some perceived substance and prestige (though I do admire Air Force & Western Michigan traveling to Idaho to play in the Garlic Mashed Potato Bowl on a dreary, rainy, Saturday night), but I think that this point, unless you're in the playoffs, you're an also-ran. Truthfully, I can see some city out there that doesn't have bowl game actually adding to the thirty-odd we already have. There's no pressure to try and land the top ten P5, so why not....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Here's a little secret for you guys who think there are too many bowls: back when there were only about 25 of them, 23 of them still didn't matter. Either enjoy the fact that you get to watch football for a month straight or start watching hockey.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

who cares? playoffs are all that matter. the rest are a glorified scrimmage in a neutral city. sure they get the extra practice but the game itself is worthless. I'd rather go to a top notch roadie like Wisconsin than to any bowl game with the exception of a playoff game.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

we are in aac so we need to be happy with whatever crumbs we have

this shouldnt be news to us

we are in the lower tier of college football

• Downvote 1