• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

98.7 the Fan and USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Wanna know why no one talks about USF? Cause we suck, we've sucked for the last 4 years, and it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better.

It's disappointing, but it's the truth.

I don't think anyone disagrees about that.  It just doesn't seem to hold true for the Bucs.  They've sucked for 4 years, too, but they get 24*7 coverage.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

Wanna know why no one talks about USF? Cause we suck, we've sucked for the last 4 years, and it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better.

I don't think anyone disagrees about that.  It just doesn't seem to hold true for the Bucs.  They've sucked for 4 years, too, but they get 24*7 coverage.

Bucs have a larger amount of passionate football fans than USF does, which is only natural considering they've been here 20 years longer ...

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  2

Your point sounds correct except for the fact even in the latter part of the last decade, USF football was largely ignored by the local talk shows.  The victories some like to reminisce about were marginalized.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Dingman was nonrenewed for reasons unknown. The Kirk and Kage show isn't very good. There just doesn't seem to be any chemistry between the two. The afternoon show with booger and Ryan is basically a SEC circle jerk.

I suspect, like Gary Shelton, they didn't like Dingman having other jobs. I thought he was clearly the smartest guy in the room.

Thanks for the info though!!

Booger has other jobs (SEC Network and Sirius Satellite Radio), why is he still there if this theory is true?  I cant stand him either, but I dont think that was the issue.

Some of you just have to understand that just because they are the Home of USF Athletics doesnt mean they have to be all USF all the time. 

Yes, the programming is rough but realize the station is there for all fans, not just us Bulls fans.

Edited by bull2saintleo

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,025
  • Days Won:  38

Just because you are the official station doesnt mean you cant call a turd a turd.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

And just because you are the official station doesn't mean you have to talk about us all the time. Where in the show's contracts does it say they have to talk about USF because they are the official station? All it means is that the station broadcasts our games.

• Content Count:  1,985

Yes, this is the problem with athletics.  Booger McFarland doesn't talk about us...

Did I say it was the problem?  My point is beyond that, the point is the coach should be announcing this on the radio station that is THE VOICE OF USF.  I mean, this is just logical.  It would be like USF advertising Nike in the Sundome....

• Content Count:  21,025
  • Days Won:  38

The thing is, if they talk about USF it is ratings poison. Not even USF fans go to USF games anymore. I imagine that would also go for radio show participation. People probably want to hear about relevant teams until we are back in the mix. Does Justin and the gang still talk about USF on his show? Of so, count yourself lucky for such die hards.

Well, were it not for 98.7 FM ... what would the "official radio station" of USF be? 

Some AM gig?

It's not like there's head to head competition for FM sports radio in this neighborhood.

And let's be honest. It's football season. That's what we talk about in fall. Maybe - just maybe - if you're interested in soccer you could fill a few minutes touting the success  of USF's team, but it'd be pretty hard to work up any substantive dialogue that fills air time. Think you'd get any callers wanting to elaborate on soccer? Golf? Women's basketball? 

As soon as USF puts a product on the field that warrants something other than criticism or ridicule, then maybe USF gets some traction. Until then, that old adage of "if you can't say something nice..." has merit. 

Dude, they talk about Pro wrestling every morning.  I believe somewhere in the mix they could give the **** USF soccer scores.  I mean, both of our teams were playing for the AAC finals.  I am not asking for this to be WBUL, but if you go to G'ville they will be chatting up the **** gymnastics teams and all.  Just a little love for the successes we have would help with the heartache football and basketball gives us.  

Dingman was nonrenewed for reasons unknown. The Kirk and Kage show isn't very good. There just doesn't seem to be any chemistry between the two. The afternoon show with booger and Ryan is basically a SEC circle jerk.

Dinger was great, and Kage just feels like a shock jock with a collar on waiting to bust out into some junior high antics.  He is bringing the worst out of Kirk.  Sports babe sucks, I swear she comes on and says "screw them, they want me on weekends, well, I will just talk and not really do any prep".  Jim is great, and Justin rocks.  enough said, getting off my own point.