• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Taggart be fired this year?

Is it time for Tag to go  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

After 21 games he's still looking for "...guys that are going to compete, compete, compete, compete, compete."  Hmmm, that being said, keep CWT the whole five years.  The program's cumulative record will be at or below .500 at that point so I hope the admin will learn from their mistakes with the next hire.  I've sensed the boys on this team, as a whole, gave up years ago.  What can you do?  Hopefully a top QB who's aggressive, has abundant football smarts, talent, leadership skills, and a passion to win can come our way.  Anything less will just keep the program where it is.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

What top notch QB would want to come to this dumpster fire after that long. You need someone with grit willing to do what it takes You also need a coaching staff to develop that player and from what I've seen from Taggart and friends it isn't them

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Based on the reality of the situation I really think USF's best option is to let him stay for the remainder of his contract. How can USF afford to keep paying off former coaches? Does anyone think a new coach can come here and magically turn this program around in a season or two?

I agree with Leviathan on this point. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

I am going to go a route here that will probably get me blasted.  But so what.

CWT needs 5 years.

Like it or not, this is a complete rebuild.  This is not a situation where a general contractor can replace flooring in a  building and put up some drapes and think it is good to go.  Not when the foundation is rotting and mold in the walls.

In order to build a sustained program for years to come, the team need to be gutted.  Just completely torn down and rebuilt with the limited talent that was left.  Very limited talent.

Presently the youngest team in college football right now is Tennessee who are playing 23 true freshman in rotation.  USF is second with 19 true freshmen within a 2 deep rotation.  Elements of the previous coaching staff's lack of talent players are still around (see the Bull's offensive line play).  I mention TN because the situations are similar here.  After 3-4 years of horrible coaching (Holtz vs Dooley) the product that was left was a complete disgrace to the teams from previous years.  Year one of the new coach is bringing in freshman and trying to complete a rebuild with those freshman while trying to root out the give up attitude from the previous coaching tenure.  Now the process for TN will not take as long as USF since they have the financial support and media coverage while not being pinned down in the G5.  But I believe the end result will be the same.

Now, after year 5, if there is no conference title, then time to go.  USF has issues.  Just look at the product on the field and the people in the stands.  Winning changes everything.  But in order to win the team must be completely rebuilt.  The foundation to this rebuild should be the offensive line.  But, it looks like CWT is going for skilled players first and glossing over the OLine problem.  

Fix the Oline fix the offensive issues + get the defense off of the field = win games.

Win games leads to greater attendance which leads to OCS which leads to P5 in about 10-15 years when expansion comes up again.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

CWT needs 5 years.

Like it or not, this is a complete rebuild.  This is not a situation where a general contractor can replace flooring in a  building and put up some drapes and think it is good to go.  Not when the foundation is rotting and mold in the walls.

In order to build a sustained program for years to come, the team need to be gutted.  Just completely torn down and rebuilt with the limited talent that was left.  Very limited talent.

Presently the youngest team in college football right now is Tennessee who are playing 23 true freshman in rotation.  USF is second with 19 true freshmen within a 2 deep rotation.  Elements of the previous coaching staff's lack of talent players are still around (see the Bull's offensive line play).  I mention TN because the situations are similar here.  After 3-4 years of horrible coaching (Holtz vs Dooley) the product that was left was a complete disgrace to the teams from previous years.  Year one of the new coach is bringing in freshman and trying to complete a rebuild with those freshman while trying to root out the give up attitude from the previous coaching tenure.  Now the process for TN will not take as long as USF since they have the financial support and media coverage while not being pinned down in the G5.  But I believe the end result will be the same.

Now, after year 5, if there is no conference title, then time to go.  USF has issues.  Just look at the product on the field and the people in the stands.  Winning changes everything.  But in order to win the team must be completely rebuilt.  The foundation to this rebuild should be the offensive line.  But, it looks like CWT is going for skilled players first and glossing over the OLine problem.  

Fix the Oline fix the offensive issues + get the defense off of the field = win games.

Win games leads to greater attendance which leads to OCS which leads to P5 in about 10-15 years when expansion comes up again.

I wouldn't say he's ignoring the O-line.

For the upcoming class he has 2 tackles, and a center committed with only 11 commits so far (half the class?)

Last class had 2 tackles, and 2 guards.

But it was his first year and probably didn't know how bad the O-line was when he came in late in the recruiting season

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Haven't watched the Vols play, so I can't speak to the validity of the comparison, but...

I'm pretty sure nobody here is really concerned overly much about the actual W/L record, but about the lack of fire and progress while losing.

Most of us were expecting 8 losses this year, we were not expecting 8 forfeits

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839

You have to show some progress in year 2 to get the fans on board and that hasn't happened. 4-8 isn't an improvement over 2-10 when the difference is a result of scheduling an FCS team we can beat and beating Tulsa who is horrible and wasn't in the conference last year only due to a fluke second half offensive outburst. Taggart doesn't have a long track record to say that he will definately right the ship. He was 16-21 in 3 years coaching in the Sun Belt. Not much to go on. He had 1 bowl year where WKU went 7-6 and beat 1 team with a winning record that was from the Sun Belt. If anything he digressed in his last season at WKU. In his 5 years of coaching he has beaten 4 teams with winning records. 3 were Sun Belt teams and the other was Cincinnati last year in a game won without an offensive touchdown. We have scored 24 or more points only 3 times in Taggarts 21 games. Once was against an FCS team and once was done without an offensive TD. We are coming off of 2 blowout losses against a team that we beat last year and a team that we put up a much better effort against last year. These are not signs of progress.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

CWT needs 5 years.

I'm not going to blast you but in 5 years there might be 5 PEOPLE in the stadium. We need Ws.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I wanted Cwt to get this turned around I just am not seeing it. Gotta give him next 3 games but if we lose out he has to go. The chances things turn around are slim so cut your losses and find a good offensive coach.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

Like it or not Taggart needs a minimum of 4 years and really 5 to change the recruiting system and culture along with possibly some JUCO kids to offset deliquincies (QB).