• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Media Market

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Attendance isn't our only problem

Our Media Market doesn't even register...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html?_r=0#4,49.414,-90.765

And this isn't due to our conference, because right across I4....

Memphis, UCONN, and ECU are sitting well! The illusive P5 invite is getting further away each moment.

Can Harlan (and Coaches) do enough in time to fix this? How? Cincy is in trouble too.

4892242266_e7f227166a.jpg

This has nothing to do with media markets. It's based on freaking Facebook "likes" ...

For what it's worth... social media interaction is a fairly good representation of the broader audience.  Statistically speaking, there are enough Facebook members in every zip code to provide some level of predictability.

Although I am willing to bet USF was completely excluded from the overall study... there is no way USF is not in the top three teams in the zipcodes right around USF (33620, 33612, 33613, etc).

The New York Times should have looked at all 126 FBS teams... not just 82 of them.

Predictability, yes. Accuracy, no.

Ask a question like, "What is your favorite genre of music?" or "Who is your favorite artist?" and use Facebook responses. You'd think the U.S. only likes Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and rap music. I can predict the outcome, but it doesn't make it accurate.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,425
  • Days Won:  19

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html?_r=0#4,49.414,-90.765

Memphis, UCONN, and ECU are sitting well! The illusive P5 invite is getting further away each moment.

Can Harlan (and Coaches) do enough in time to fix this? How? Cincy is in trouble too.

This has nothing to do with media markets. It's based on freaking Facebook "likes" ...

For what it's worth... social media interaction is a fairly good representation of the broader audience.  Statistically speaking, there are enough Facebook members in every zip code to provide some level of predictability.

Although I am willing to bet USF was completely excluded from the overall study... there is no way USF is not in the top three teams in the zipcodes right around USF (33620, 33612, 33613, etc).

The New York Times should have looked at all 126 FBS teams... not just 82 of them.

Thank you.

Predictability, yes. Accuracy, no.

Ask a question like, "What is your favorite genre of music?" or "Who is your favorite artist?" and use Facebook responses. You'd think the U.S. only likes Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and rap music. I can predict the outcome, but it doesn't make it accurate.

Actually, it is fairly accurate... Some people may "like" more than one football team (I "like" USF and Michigan State, for example, because of personal and family reasons.)

If someone were to actually check Facebook likes for every team, then it would be fairly accurate.  The fact this map does not show USF is not a failure on the use of Facebook likes... it appears to be a failure of excluding USF altogether.

It's really how polling works in general... Gallup calls a random sample in a given area and asks their preferences.  Facebook likes are more self-selecting (people have to volunteer to be on Facebook and then have to volunteer to "like" a team) -- but when you're dealing with large numbers a lot of those types of biases work themselves out.

Ultimately, statistics of all kinds really only matter in terms of context.  This is a measure of social media participation - which is one measurement of the strength of fandom.  TV ratings.  License plate sales. Season ticket sales.  Licensing revenue.  All of these are other measures of fandom.  The really interesting thing would be for someone with resources to collate all of these data points together to provide a more holistic picture.

(In truth, if USF were actually included in this study we generally would not be having this debate.  We would be pointing out how strong USF is in the Tampa Bay area as proof for why we could be included in a future conference move.)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

FB likes! Ahhhhh hahahaha

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Nobody was excluded from this ridiculous survey. They listed the top three teams that had "Likes" from either a zip code in some states or counties in others, like Florida. If you were #1 out of the 3 in any of those areas, zip code or county, you were considered part of the 82.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, we were considered...we just did not make the top three in any area codes...

Yeah, we were considered...we just did not make the top three in any area codes...

In any counties ...

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

In our defense, UF and FSU have strong alumni associations in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties...I didn't know Miami had fans.

Edited by bullcocky101

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,986
  • Days Won:  12

Sorry, even zooming in as much as possible, I do not believe in USF's own zip code they have less than 6% support. Simply false, no further debate needed. 

In our defense, UF and FSU have strong alumni associations in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties...I didn't know Miami had fans.

What's funny is that UM wasn't 3rd in Pinellas, Ohio State was ... and they were 3rd in every coastal county from Pasco down through Charlotte ... Lots of freaking snowbirds on Facebook.