• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scouting Wisconsin (BGSU game)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Days Won:  0

Wisconsin QB looked awful as a passer.

McEvoy is a mediocre to OK passer on short routes and horrible on long balls.  Last year's starter, Joel Stave, developed a strange case of the yips during fall camp and dropped out of the two deep. Wisconsin will probably lose a couple of games this season because of this. (Probably would have won at LSU with an OK Stave.) McEvoy occasionally will make a nice throw on the run, but most often overthrows his target. 

BGSU was missing their best DL, best LB and best DB due to injury in this game. They were noticeably slow and very poor tacklers to boot.  I'd posit that your team has to be better on defense and I don't know anything.

Wisconsin lost its entire defensive front seven to graduation.  The new group is smaller and faster than last year's squad. It held up well at LSU until the nose guard and one defensive end were injured. After that LSU ran with relative ease. 

The defensive backfield seems to rely on drops and overthrows to defend long passes. Has worked fairly well so far this year, not sure if that's a good long term solution.  

I guess what I'm saying is that 33 points is a lot to cover.  It could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

A visitor's guide to Madison:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2562&t=4512150  

Safe and fun travels to those making the trip.

Edited by BigAppleBucky

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

If we are going to have any success we will have to throw on 1st down early just to force Wisconsin to respect the pass. We will have to play turnover free and force a few to have a chance

Granted it was raining and I was beered up but I can only remember us throwing on 1st down against Uconn maybe 1-2 times.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Lol at the QB not being good aside from hitting 17 straight in one game. Do we have 17 total completions yet?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Classy posts from our visitors!...thanks, friends, and welcome to TBP!

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Tanner McEvoy is Wisconsin's quarterback.  Simply, he is not a passer.  He is an elite scrambler, though.  With his size (6'6"), he covers ground very quickly.

Not surprisingly, Wisconsin's game is on the ground.  Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement are the two most physically-talented RBs Wisconsin has had.  The former probably should have turned pro last season.  He received a second-round grade from the advisory board and several personnel have said he would have been the first back taken had he gone pro.  We are certainly glad that he chose to come back.  He is an absolute game-breaker and currently has the highest yards per carry average of all-time.  I'm not sure I call him a 'burner,' but covers a lot of ground fast because he's a strider.

Also not very surprising is strong offensive line play.  Wisconsin returned four starters across the line from the 2013 team.  Very experienced and large (6'5" 321 average) group.

Despite having to replace a lot in the front seven on defense, the rush defense has been very good on the defensive side of the ball.  They have allowed just over 90 yards/game on the ground and just over 2.50 yards per carry.  Very stout rush defense and that can be credited to Dave Aranda's aggressive scheme.  Can't imagine he'll be a defensive coordinator too much longer.

The secondary is experienced (returned three starters from 2013) and has been statistically good dating back to 2013, but has been susceptible to being thrown on by very good QBs (Connor Shaw, Taylor Kelly, Braxton Miller, Christian Hackenberg).  No disrespect, but it doesn't seem like your passing game will pose much of a threat.

All in all, this game will be won in the trenches.  As a Wisconsin fan, I will obviously operate under the belief that Wisconsin will win this game rather comfortably.  Camp Randall is a pretty difficult place to play.

Anyway, here is to an injury-free game!  Hate to see any kid lose playing time.

Very fair evaluation. No shame in touting your strengths.  I was also hoping Gordon would go pro early, after watching him last year...but we're stuck. I think he's the best RB in college football; maybe in the last few years.

Spot on about our QB/passing game.  The only thing I see is, he CAN throw a good deep ball, and I saw some BGSU players (and LSU, for sure), get behind your DBs, so a big play or 2 isn't out of the question.

I expect Wiscy to cream us (dairy pun intended), but hoping we can make some big plays and keep it respectaBULL.

Thanks for posting in a civil manner...and for adding to the scouting report.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Classy posts from our visitors!...thanks, friends, and welcome to TBP!

Amen. Wish I was headed to Madison, but picked the Cincy game instead for my annual roadtrip. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I don't like our chances with both of our trench units (D-line and O-line), but our LB's and secondary could decide to just flip a switch and cause Bucky Badger to cough up the ball a few times. I'm realistic about our chances likely being minimal, but a lot of crazy things can happen in college football.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Let's just enjoy this while we still have it to enjoy.

This should be someone's profile pic, while it lasts.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

but our LB's and secondary could decide to just flip a switch and cause Bucky Badger to cough up the ball a few times.

Melvin Gordon fumbled for the first time in 322 career rushes last Saturday.  Corey Clement, who, in my opinion, is the second (behind Gordon) most physically-talented RB Wisconsin has ever had, fumbled on his final carry in his freshman debut in 2013.  Both have fumbled before, both will fumble again.  Not sure it happens in this game, but it is entirely possible.