• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scouting Wisconsin (BGSU game)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

Tanner McEvoy is Wisconsin's quarterback.  Simply, he is not a passer.  He is an elite scrambler, though.  With his size (6'6"), he covers ground very quickly.

Not surprisingly, Wisconsin's game is on the ground.  Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement are the two most physically-talented RBs Wisconsin has had.  The former probably should have turned pro last season.  He received a second-round grade from the advisory board and several personnel have said he would have been the first back taken had he gone pro.  We are certainly glad that he chose to come back.  He is an absolute game-breaker and currently has the highest yards per carry average of all-time.  I'm not sure I call him a 'burner,' but covers a lot of ground fast because he's a strider.

Also not very surprising is strong offensive line play.  Wisconsin returned four starters across the line from the 2013 team.  Very experienced and large (6'5" 321 average) group.

Despite having to replace a lot in the front seven on defense, the rush defense has been very good on the defensive side of the ball.  They have allowed just over 90 yards/game on the ground and just over 2.50 yards per carry.  Very stout rush defense and that can be credited to Dave Aranda's aggressive scheme.  Can't imagine he'll be a defensive coordinator too much longer.

The secondary is experienced (returned three starters from 2013) and has been statistically good dating back to 2013, but has been susceptible to being thrown on by very good QBs (Connor Shaw, Taylor Kelly, Braxton Miller, Christian Hackenberg).  No disrespect, but it doesn't seem like your passing game will pose much of a threat.

All in all, this game will be won in the trenches.  As a Wisconsin fan, I will obviously operate under the belief that Wisconsin will win this game rather comfortably.  Camp Randall is a pretty difficult place to play.

Anyway, here is to an injury-free game!  Hate to see any kid lose playing time.

• Content Count:  5

Badger fan here. Here's some points on the Badgers, and how I would play them.

UW ran all over Bowling Green, but Bowling Green was god awful defensively, and I expect South Florida to be better based on stats. That being said, the UW run game is outstanding and the new QB, McEvoy, gives them another dimension. The WRs have decent hands, but do not have speed or the ability to separate from decent corners. The QB is a great runner but has been inconsistent with his accuracy, outside of hitting 17 in a row against Western Illinois.

I would stack the box as much as possible and put the CBs on an island. I'd gamble a lot on 1st and 2nd down with run blitzes and hopefully force a number of throwing situations on 3rd down. You'll likely give up some big plays, but that could happen anyway, and I think that is better than longer sustained drives that wears down the defense.

Defensively, UW is outstanding against the run. They are giving up 91 rushing yards/game and 2.6 YPC, which includes a game against LSU. I think they are even better than their defensive rushing stats as a good chunk of the rushing yards came against Bowling Green when they gave up a 60 yard TD with the 2nd team D on the field when the game well in-hand. On the other hand, the UW pass defense is not good. They get a good pass rush, but the DBs are pretty bad. They have no ability to cover the long pass and never turn for the ball. Even if the ball is under-thrown, because they never turn around, they are often call for PI.

It looks like the strength of the South Florida offense is the running game with Mack, but it will be tough to straight up run against UW. I wouldn't run to setup the pass as the passing game will be there from the start - it's not necessary to set it up. I would pass to setup the run. Try to force them in nickel packages and take advantage of blitzing LBs. I don't know much about South Florida, but I have to imagine you have some speed at WR (it's South Florida) and you should be able to get behind the DBs all day. If the QB can deliver, you can put up some points. UW is very vulnerable against the long pass, or they'll give a big cushion and the underneath path will be there.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

This game will be won on the line of scrimmage. I don't think we stack up very well.

For those traveling to Madison, figured I would post some suggestions here:

Madison is a terrific city.  It's medium-sized (around 250,000) city located on an isthmus between two lakes (Mendota and Monona).

(This is just off the top of my head.  I'll update.)

Places to eat:
- Cooper's Tavern

- Old Fashioned

- Great Dane

- Tornado Steakhouse

- Capital Tap Haus

- Brickhouse BBQ

- Takara Japanese Restaurant

- Ian's Pizza

- Paul Pel'Meni

- Marigold Kitchen

- Samba Brazilian Grill

- Mediterranean Cafe

- Restaurant Muramoto

- Bandung Indonesian Restaurant

- Los Gemelos

- Nitty Gritty

- Dotty Dumplings

(Again, I will update)

Things to do:

- This may be tough since it's an 11am kickoff, but i'll throw it out anyway: Farmers Market.

- Go to the Memorial Union Terrace and enjoy a pitcher of beer on Lake Mendota.

- Walk up/down State Street and around the Capitol Square.

- Walk around campus.  Check out the view on observatory drive and walk up Bascom Hill.

- Check out some of the shops on Monroe Street.

- Check out some of the shops/restaurants on Willy Street.

- For a nice view of Lake Monona, go to to the Monona Terrace.

Bars:

- For bars with more of a "college" scene, go to: Chasers, Wandos, State Street Brats, Vintage, Kollege Klub (KK), Monday's, Madhatters, Johnny Os

- Bars with a more "laid back" scene: really anything on the upper-end of State Street and around the Capitol Square.

Gameday in Madison:

- It's a bit unique.  Camp Randall Stadium is in the middle of a neighborhood.  Literally.  Therefore, there is no parking in the immediate area of the stadium.  'Tailgating' consists of early-morning house parties and beer gardens lining Regent Street.  It's a nice change-of-pace from your typical tailgating in a parking lot.  Of course, you can always just go to the bars in the immediate downtown area, too (about a mile walk from the stadium).

What to look for at the game:

- You'll see a late-arriving student section.  They prefer the party over the start of the game, especially against non-conference opponents.  When full, though, few rival the 'rowdiness.'  You'll hear one particularly obscene chant that the administration wishes would disappear.  It is also one of the largest student sections in the country.

- 'Varsity' at halftime is the alma mater at Wisconsin.  The entire stadium will sing the final lines and you'll see a synchronized 'arm wave.'

- Jump Around is what the Wisconsin student section is known for.  Very fun to see.

- Stay for the Fifth Quarter.

Feel free to ask any other questions regarding Madison.  It is a beautiful city.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Im glad our guys get to play wisconsin. Because we get to see how our offense is supposed to look

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

If White can get some time to throw I think he can connect with some of our speedy WR. Now that Thor is back I am hoping for some good pass protection. No doubt Wisconsin will stack the box. If we can give the D some breathers with sustained drives, there is a possibility for a good game.

I suspect though IF we can keep it close in the first half, we won't have the depth on D to hang 4 qtrs.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,613
  • Days Won:  51

Madison is a terrific city.  It's medium-sized (around 250,000) city located on an isthmus between two lakes (Mendota and Monona).

Places to eat:

- Cooper's Tavern

- Old Fashioned

- Great Dane

- Tornado Steakhouse

- Capital Tap Haus

- Brickhouse BBQ

- Ian's Pizza

- Paul Pel'Meni

- Marigold Kitchen

- Samba Brazilian Grill

- Mediterranean Cafe

- Restaurant Muramoto

- Los Gemelos

- Nitty Gritty

- Dotty Dumplings

(Again, I will update)

Things to do:

- This may be tough since it's an 11am kickoff, but i'll throw it out anyway: Farmers Market.

- Walk around campus.  Check out the view on observatory drive and walk up Bascom Hill.

Bars:

- For bars with more of a "college" scene, go to: Chasers, Wandos, State Street Brats, Vintage, Kollege Klub (KK), Monday's, Madhatters, Johnny Os

- Bars with a more "laid back" scene: really anything on the upper-end of State Street and around the Capitol Square.

Gameday in Madison:

- It's a bit unique.  Camp Randall Stadium is in the middle of a neighborhood.  Literally.  Therefore, there is no parking in the immediate area of the stadium.  'Tailgating' consists of early-morning house parties and beer gardens lining Regent Street.  It's a nice change-of-pace from your typical tailgating in a parking lot.  Of course, you can always just go to the bars in the immediate downtown area, too (about a mile walk from the stadium).

- You'll see a late-arriving student section.  They prefer the party over the start of the game, especially against non-conference opponents.  When full, though, few rival the 'rowdiness.'  You'll hear one particularly obscene chant that the administration wishes would disappear.  It is also one of the largest student sections in the country.

- 'Varsity' at halftime is the alma mater at Wisconsin.  The entire stadium will sing the final lines and you'll see a synchronized 'arm wave.'

- Jump Around is what the Wisconsin student section is known for.  Very fun to see.

Feel free to ask any other questions regarding Madison.  It is a beautiful city.

What about Essen Haus? My buddy said that's place to party.

• Content Count:  5

If White can get some time to throw I think he can connect with some of our speedy WR. Now that Thor is back I am hoping for some good pass protection. No doubt Wisconsin will stack the box. If we can give the D some breathers with sustained drives, there is a possibility for a good game.

I suspect though IF we can keep it close in the first half, we won't have the depth on D to hang 4 qtrs.

I do not think UW will stack the box the entire game. The run D is plenty strong with their front 7, but the weakness is pass defense. They'll play 2 safeties the entire game and they'll play back unless USF refuses to pass. I do think giving the QB time to get to the WRs is key for USF as they'll probably get open.

Places to eat:

- Cooper's Tavern

- Old Fashioned

- Great Dane

- Tornado Steakhouse

- Capital Tap Haus

- Brickhouse BBQ

- Ian's Pizza

- Paul Pel'Meni

- Marigold Kitchen

- Samba Brazilian Grill

- Mediterranean Cafe

- Restaurant Muramoto

- Los Gemelos

- Nitty Gritty

- Dotty Dumplings

(Again, I will update)

Things to do:

Bars:

Gameday in Madison:

What about Essen Haus? My buddy said that's place to party.

Great place for a boot.  Thanks for reminding me.