• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Too Early to break out the Paper Bags?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Don't be a ****.  Stay home or go do something else if you're thinking about wearing a bag on your head. 

From the out-of-towner without season tickets and no travel plans to see a home game where USF has lost 14 of the last 17 home games, it's real easy to be critical of those spending their money annually, spending for tailgates at each home game, taking a full Saturday out of their busy lives, and sitting in the stifling sun while watching this crap disguised as college football.  All you have to do is turn down your A/C and change the channel to a more compelling game and then when you're replenishing your nacho plate, check the ESPN3 score of the game.  You have no investment, time or dinero, so run along.

So I guess by that brilliant philosophy, anybody who doesn't attend games shouldn't be criticizing the team either since they're not spending their money annually, not spending for tailgates at each home game, not taking a full Saturday out of their busy lives, and not sitting in the stifling sun to watch the game ... Wearing a bag to a game is a **** move.

No, the philosophy is that "if you're a green goggler who doesn't attend games, refrain from criticizing those fans that actually do go to the games and have substantial investments in their team".  I think it's pretty clear but you always like to put your own spin on things TB, so please spin away.

There is no spin. According to you, you're either invested in USF or you're not and that's what apparently gives you the right to critique things USF. Personally, I like it ... It would cut down on the ******** and moaning in here to the ones who actually support and have to endure it ... but because we're not in the exclusional world of hbryan, opinions can come from USF fans everywhere.

page-slider-Spin-It-To-Win-It-.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

1) you are stating that we are better off if they stay home, it doesn't matter if you can effect the change or not.

2) I did it in holtz's last year and I know people doing it currently so it's not hypothetical.

3) it's not an opinion it's a fact that's why the NCAA has a bylaw on attendance and none stipulating the percentage of fans that can boo or wear bags

Oh, gotcha, you are offended because of my original post on this line of discussion. I now know all I need to know moving forward with this conversation with you.

Your opinion is that an empty seat is more embarrassing than a seat filled by someone with a bag on their head. I am of the opposite opinion, but I'm sure that's not what you were talking about as fact, right?

If it wasn't for point 3 you may have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately as I pointed out football is a business and it needs fans to opposes the NCAA has determined that number to be 15,000 as a rolling 2 year average and as we inch closer to that number I don't think we are at liberty to be picky with who we want going to the games.

I'm not sure your point 3 has a leg to stand on. Just because a seat was empty doesn't mean it wasn't counted toward that 15K number so it does really boil down to the opinion part. I'd almost guarantee that anybody wearing a bag would have been a season tix holder so their seat wouldn't have been "empty" to the NCAA no matter what ... and if they actually bought a ticket from the box office to come and wear a bag, I'd actually have to tip my hat to them at least for their dedication.

Slightly OT, but does the NCAA really even care about that 15K thing any longer?? I know there are some FBS schools out there that can't be meeting it but haven't heard anything about possible consequences.

Don't be a ****.  Stay home or go do something else if you're thinking about wearing a bag on your head. 

From the out-of-towner without season tickets and no travel plans to see a home game where USF has lost 14 of the last 17 home games, it's real easy to be critical of those spending their money annually, spending for tailgates at each home game, taking a full Saturday out of their busy lives, and sitting in the stifling sun while watching this crap disguised as college football.  All you have to do is turn down your A/C and change the channel to a more compelling game and then when you're replenishing your nacho plate, check the ESPN3 score of the game.  You have no investment, time or dinero, so run along.

So I guess by that brilliant philosophy, anybody who doesn't attend games shouldn't be criticizing the team either since they're not spending their money annually, not spending for tailgates at each home game, not taking a full Saturday out of their busy lives, and not sitting in the stifling sun to watch the game ... Wearing a bag to a game is a **** move.

No, the philosophy is that "if you're a green goggler who doesn't attend games, refrain from criticizing those fans that actually do go to the games and have substantial investments in their team".  I think it's pretty clear but you always like to put your own spin on things TB, so please spin away.

There is no spin. According to you, you're either invested in USF or you're not and that's what apparently gives you the right to critique things USF. Personally, I like it ... It would cut down on the ******** and moaning in here to the ones who actually support and have to endure it ... but because we're not in the exclusional world of hbryan, opinions can come from USF fans everywhere.

page-slider-Spin-It-To-Win-It-.jpg

img-1472915-1-2992075-creepy-willy-wonka

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1) you are stating that we are better off if they stay home, it doesn't matter if you can effect the change or not.

2) I did it in holtz's last year and I know people doing it currently so it's not hypothetical.

3) it's not an opinion it's a fact that's why the NCAA has a bylaw on attendance and none stipulating the percentage of fans that can boo or wear bags

Oh, gotcha, you are offended because of my original post on this line of discussion. I now know all I need to know moving forward with this conversation with you.

Your opinion is that an empty seat is more embarrassing than a seat filled by someone with a bag on their head. I am of the opposite opinion, but I'm sure that's not what you were talking about as fact, right?

If it wasn't for point 3 you may have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately as I pointed out football is a business and it needs fans to opposes the NCAA has determined that number to be 15,000 as a rolling 2 year average and as we inch closer to that number I don't think we are at liberty to be picky with who we want going to the games.

98-99% of people going to the games won't be wearing a bag. It might greater than that, leaving <1% of fans that will wear a bag. USF can do without those who are wearing bags to draw attention to themselves, rather than the team.

You're a bag wearer, I get it, I see where you're coming from and you're pulling stuff out of a dark, stinky anatomical location to justify your point. I really don't have much of anything else to say on this.

Seems reasonable enough to me until you say those that boo are doing more damage as well, or those with a damning sign or T-shirts. Enough of the fans you desire are already self selecting out of attendance do you honestly think you should be encouraging more to leave?

I'm not sure your point 3 has a leg to stand on. Just because a seat was empty doesn't mean it wasn't counted toward that 15K number so it does really boil down to the opinion part. I'd almost guarantee that anybody wearing a bag would have been a season tix holder so their seat wouldn't have been "empty" to the NCAA no matter what ... and if they actually bought a ticket from the box office to come and wear a bag, I'd actually have to tip my hat to them at least for their dedication.

Slightly OT, but does the NCAA really even care about that 15K thing any longer?? I know there are some FBS schools out there that can't be meeting it but haven't heard anything about possible consequences.

The problem is would they buy season tickets next year if they decided not to utilize their tickets this year? And let's go ahead and assume that the NCAA never will enforce that rule again; how many paying fans do you think we will require to continue to fund what was supposed to be a revenue generating sport? That's a lot of rent and scholarships that we get to double thanks to title ix. Why wouldn't you want someone that you don't particularly care for helping to cary the burden of that financial support for you? Moral outrage over brown bags?

Once a fan stops going to the games they may never return. Getting them to stop booing, wearing bags or Tshirts is more easily solved.

The problem is would they buy season tickets next year if they decided not to utilize their tickets this year? And let's go ahead and assume that the NCAA never will enforce that rule again; how many paying fans do you think we will require to continue to fund what was supposed to be a revenue generating sport? That's a lot of rent and scholarships that we get to double thanks to title ix. Why wouldn't you want someone that you don't particularly care for helping to cary the burden of that financial support for you? Moral outrage over brown bags?

First, never said it was someone I didn't particularly care for, said it was a **** move. For instance, I care deeply for hbryan but his **** moves, in the form of posts, are legendary. The thing is I can't imagine that wearing the bags will have any effect, one way or the other, on whether they buy season tix the following year so all the bag wearing is is an expressing of their opinions, no different than booing. And my opinion is that it's a **** move, reflecting bad on the fanbase and could have a negative effect on recruits.

First, never said it was someone I didn't particularly care for, said it was a **** move. For instance, I care deeply for hbryan but his **** moves, in the form of posts, are legendary. The thing is I can't imagine that wearing the bags will have any effect, one way or the other, on whether they buy season tix the following year so all the bag wearing is is an expressing of their opinions, no different than booing. And my opinion is that it's a **** move, reflecting bad on the fanbase and could have a negative effect on recruits.

Hey, I was just coming to the defense of someone who wanted to wear a bag.  It's too **** hot for a non-mesh hat so I'm not gonna wear one.  But I do kind of like the idea of a photoshopped "Free Willie" T-shirt.  I just don't know if I want it to look like the Willie Nelson ones or the Willy, black fish ones. Taggart and HIS team still has time but if this season ends as ignominiously as last, I can guarantee you there will be bags and there will be shirts.

See I am on the other side and only see the wearing of a bag as a **** move if Taggart has begun winning or at least playing respectable football. He's not doing a good job at either, so that's on him and HIS team.