• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bench earned some goodwill from USF fans this week

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

QB play was WORLDS better than White last week.  

He should get the start against NC State.  Yeah, still made some bad decisions but he moved the ball a lot better. 

Overall, we should have probably won this game based on the defense, but thinking about where we're coming from, there is definitely some things to build on with Bench.  

What say you?  

WORLDS better, really, seriously?????

White was 108/122 in QBR the first week and Bench ends up at 101/127 QBR rating in the second week.  That's a QBR of 18.7 for White and 34.3 for Bench.  So yeah, White was nearly twice as ugly as Bench but that doesn't mean Bench was attractive.

White's 18.7 was against Powerhouse FCS opponent WCU, Bench's 34.2 was against P5, not at the top of their conference but better competition, so I'd say Bench was better.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

If this offense could have scored a td in second half I think we would have won.

Bench now has more td passes and runs than white I believe.

Give him reps with first string he will get better.

he threw for 40.6% last year. yeah he might improve but it will only be incremental.

last year, white completed nearly 15% more of his passes compared to bench

stupid to compare that stat with the insane amount of drop passes each QB had.

so we should throw out completion percentage in determining a QBs accuracy??

You can't just look at stats and tell what happened in a game. Sure there was accuracy issues this week and last year, but that can be for multiple reasons and completion percentage is only half on the QB. If you don't understand that, you're watching the wrong sport. The QB can't throw it and catch it, WR's gotta step up.

yes you can look at stats to tell the quality of a player.

and completion percentage is the best stat to look at QB accuracy.

all wide receivers have drops on every team at every level. in the end the great catches make up for the balatant drops. there were a few blatant drops and a few catches where the ball was thrown way behind the receiver.

if you have a large enough sample size then completion percentage will tell the accuracy of the QB.

Stats can tell you the quality of a WR or RB, but not always a QB. To be a successful QB you have to rely on the OL, and WR's. If both of those aren't clicking, you're QB will be crap, doesn't matter who it is back there. There are really good NFL QB's that still struggle with throwing behind guys, or high balls, but the WR's make the play! Every game Peyton Manning has to get bailed out by a WR several times, Brady, Brees and Rodgers too. If you honestly think you can judge a QB just by looking at his completion percentage and his attempts, you're a fool. 

are you for real???

so you think Brees high completion percentage doesn't mean he is a more accurate passer than say EJ Manuel?? wow I guessd they should just throw out stats when doing any kind of analysis

yes every QB gets bailed out at times and every QB also has the receiver make a blatant drop. even bench. they even out in the end.

accurate QBs have high completion percentages.

Ray Charles could tell you Brees is a better QB than EJ Manuel. 

Yes, accurate QB's have high completion percentages, but in order to achieve that you must account for drops, throwaways, protection, issues with connection of WR's and coaching. Bench proved he was an accurate passer in the spring, now he just needs to translate it to games. I doubt he was getting a lot of first team reps since White was named starter.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Bench was definitely a smarter player than last year. I thought the receiving corps was atrocious though. Adams was probably the best out there and McFarland is good when he's not dropping balls. Welch has the worst ball skills I've seen, which is ashame because he seems to get himself open a lot. He just doesn't attack the football in the air like Davis or like a Dontavia Bogan used to.

I honestly think we may have won the game if Davis was healthy.

Bench only made a handful of bad throws/decisions. Though a few were in the 4th

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I cannot believe someone is arguing that completion percentage is NOT and indicator of quarterback accuracy

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Bench was 7 of 14 in the 1st half.

He finished the game 14 of 36

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I cannot believe someone is arguing that completion percentage is NOT and indicator of quarterback accuracy

It is, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

QB play was WORLDS better than White last week.  

He should get the start against NC State.  Yeah, still made some bad decisions but he moved the ball a lot better. 

Overall, we should have probably won this game based on the defense, but thinking about where we're coming from, there is definitely some things to build on with Bench.  

What say you?  

WORLDS better, really, seriously?????

White was 108/122 in QBR the first week and Bench ends up at 101/127 QBR rating in the second week.  That's a QBR of 18.7 for White and 34.3 for Bench.  So yeah, White was nearly twice as ugly as Bench but that doesn't mean Bench was attractive.

White's 18.7 was against Powerhouse FCS opponent WCU, Bench's 34.2 was against P5, not at the top of their conference but better competition, so I'd say Bench was better.

Where are you guys getting this 18.7 from? White's QBR was 36.1, Bench's was 33.4... Here's there stats:

Bench this week: (Got the loss when the defense provided SIX turnovers..)

Passing: 14/36 (38.9%), 162 yds, 4.5 yds/attempt, 0 td, 1 int, 33.4 QBR
Rushing: 5 attempts, 9 yds, 1.8 yds/attempt, 1 td 15 longest rush.

White this week:
Passing: 1/1, 12 yds, 12.0 yds/attempt, 0 td, 0 int, 92.8 QBR
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bench last week:
Passing: 1/1, 10 yds, 10.0 yds/attempt, 0 td, 0 int, 97.9 QBR

White last week: (Got the win when the defense provided TWO turnovers)
Passing: 9/26 (34.6%), 181 yds, 7 yds/attempt, 0 td, 1 int, 36.1 QBR
Rushing: 1 attempt, 17 yds, 17 yds/attempt, 0 td 17 longest rush

Looks pretty dang even to me... I would say there is no clear winner. But for what it's worth I have more belief in Mike White, but it's just a feeling; I can't cite any particular reason other than that.

(edit: fixed formatting)
Edited by Sipher

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

If this offense could have scored a td in second half I think we would have won.

Bench now has more td passes and runs than white I believe.

Give him reps with first string he will get better.

he threw for 40.6% last year. yeah he might improve but it will only be incremental.

last year, white completed nearly 15% more of his passes compared to bench

stupid to compare that stat with the insane amount of drop passes each QB had.

so we should throw out completion percentage in determining a QBs accuracy??

You can't just look at stats and tell what happened in a game. Sure there was accuracy issues this week and last year, but that can be for multiple reasons and completion percentage is only half on the QB. If you don't understand that, you're watching the wrong sport. The QB can't throw it and catch it, WR's gotta step up.

yes you can look at stats to tell the quality of a player.

and completion percentage is the best stat to look at QB accuracy.

all wide receivers have drops on every team at every level. in the end the great catches make up for the balatant drops. there were a few blatant drops and a few catches where the ball was thrown way behind the receiver.

if you have a large enough sample size then completion percentage will tell the accuracy of the QB.

We really don't have a large enough sample on either of our QBs.  Bench got hurt last year, White this year.  At the end of this year we'll have a better idea on at least one of them - whoever gets the most snaps. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

We really don't have a large enough sample on either of our QBs.  Bench got hurt last year, White this year.  At the end of this year we'll have a better idea on at least one of them - whoever gets the most snaps.

100% accurate .... and in a rational world, would end the debate for now.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

100% accurate .... and in a rational world, would end the debate for now.

You-must-be-new-here2.jpg