• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Adjustments

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

During the game, I was also reacting similarly and quite frankly freaking out about why we weren't making adjustments. But now after the game, it seems pretty easy to see that we were running a vanilla game plan. Certainly a big part of getting new players comfortable in a new scheme is running just a base defense. So we were in a simple call which just put players in position to make their reads and not give up the big play.

In the 3rd quarter when we actually needed to, we changed it up a little bit and shut them down. When the game was out of reach we went back to the base to continue getting our guys reps into the different looks and reads they will get from the standard defense that they are still learning.

I think you are correct. I want to watch replay.

We gave Wcu easy 8 yard pass plays and Wcu took advantage till we turned up the defense and shut them down.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

During the game, I was also reacting similarly and quite frankly freaking out about why we weren't making adjustments. But now after the game, it seems pretty easy to see that we were running a vanilla game plan. Certainly a big part of getting new players comfortable in a new scheme is running just a base defense. So we were in a simple call which just put players in position to make their reads and not give up the big play.

In the 3rd quarter when we actually needed to, we changed it up a little bit and shut them down. When the game was out of reach we went back to the base to continue getting our guys reps into the different looks and reads they will get from the standard defense that they are still learning.

I would like to think that too but I dont think this program is to the point where we can just go out there and play vanilla and expect to win. So we shall see how it looks against Maryland next weekend. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Again I'm anxious to hear interviews from Coach T and Breezy. I'd like to hear what they were thinking going into and during this game, scheme-wise

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Just watched some of the replay.  I was almost more disappointed in the defense than the offense.  The corners were 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage and getting torched by the WR screens and short passes.  I don't think we were playing vanilla.  I think they have no confidence in our DBs.  Frightening!!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just watched some of the replay.  I was almost more disappointed in the defense than the offense.  The corners were 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage and getting torched by the WR screens and short passes.  I don't think we were playing vanilla.  I think they have no confidence in our DBs.  Frightening!!

I agree.  Marlon Mack pretty much overshadowed some of the issues with the offense - he definitely picked up White and others.  

Defense though, definitely seemed to allow way more of those screens and short passes than they should have.  I don't know why they don't seem to have much confidence, I was pretty impressed with Dunkley and Ward yesterday in coverage.  Let 'em line up man to man more and let's really see what they have.  

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

I am just hoping the coaching staff shows the players the film and that it lights a spark under them for the rest of the season. They looked good at times last season so I am hoping they find that again. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

So just so I can understand. When the coaches show the players the film and they go back to the same scheme next week but now they are fired up so then are they able to teleport 6-8yards dragon ball z style?