• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Adjustments

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You people are ridiculous. We had a top 25 Defense last year, Coach B is good at what he does and the D will improve. Our D was the ONLY thing good last year. We have 1 game where we played a zone and WON and you people come with pitchforks for the coach. Get outta here.

I said it in another thread but we had 9 players last night on the field playing their first game as USF Bulls, NINE! It will take time to get everyone gelled.

Hem, I'm with you man, and I didn't start this thread to call for Bres's head. He's a solid coach and the D will be fine overall. But I am honestly puzzled by the lack of adjustments to the exact same screen pass over and over...it was killing us yet very few changes occurred to counter it. Do you agree, and if so what is your explanation there? I want to believe Bres had a plan or strategy of some kind...
keep the play in front of the corners. didn't want to give up anything over the top. that's why you play off the ball.

not a strategy I favor. I'd rather a defense play more aggressive, not back on their heels but many times when you play a team you're supposed to beat you play to not give up the big play.

This.

I'm anxious to see what Breezy will say during this weeks interviews. They came out in the 3rd quarter with adjustments that worked, but went back to prevent when we cushioned the lead. Bubble screens all day from WCU, you'd think after the 6th screen...you'd make an immediate adjustment.

I understand how the defensive scheme works...still not sure why we didn't make adjustments sooner. Maybe we don't have a man scheme we can use reliably? Surely we have to be able to move away from the prevent in order to be successful...

Also, why that scheme for WCU? We were that worried about long bombs?....?

you play that scheme against wcu because you don't want to give up the big play. generally coaches will do that against underdogs.

the defense shut them down in the 3rd when they started to play more aggressive. we got up by 2 scores. they then went back to playing off the ball and WCU got 2 more TDs in 4th. 

I'm not a fan of prevent but the idea is to give up yards and eat the clock on defense. don't let a team score quickly.

Edited by Bull94

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

OCs love our DC.

:LoveFest:

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166

You people are ridiculous. We had a top 25 Defense last year, Coach B is good at what he does and the D will improve. Our D was the ONLY thing good last year. We have 1 game where we played a zone and WON and you people come with pitchforks for the coach. Get outta here.

I said it in another thread but we had 9 players last night on the field playing their first game as USF Bulls, NINE! It will take time to get everyone gelled.

Hem, I'm with you man, and I didn't start this thread to call for Bres's head. He's a solid coach and the D will be fine overall. But I am honestly puzzled by the lack of adjustments to the exact same screen pass over and over...it was killing us yet very few changes occurred to counter it. Do you agree, and if so what is your explanation there? I want to believe Bres had a plan or strategy of some kind...
keep the play in front of the corners. didn't want to give up anything over the top. that's why you play off the ball.

not a strategy I favor. I'd rather a defense play more aggressive, not back on their heels but many times when you play a team you're supposed to beat you play to not give up the big play.

This.

I'm anxious to see what Breezy will say during this weeks interviews. They came out in the 3rd quarter with adjustments that worked, but went back to prevent when we cushioned the lead. Bubble screens all day from WCU, you'd think after the 6th screen...you'd make an immediate adjustment.

I understand how the defensive scheme works...still not sure why we didn't make adjustments sooner. Maybe we don't have a man scheme we can use reliably? Surely we have to be able to move away from the prevent in order to be successful...

Also, why that scheme for WCU? We were that worried about long bombs?....?

you play that scheme against wcu because you don't want to give up the big play. generally coaches will do that against underdogs.

the defense shut them down in the 3rd when they started to play more aggressive. we got up by 2 scores. they then went back to playing off the ball and WCU got 2 more TDs in 4th.

I'm not a fan of prevent but the idea is to give up yards and eat the clock on defense. don't let a team score quickly.

Right that can be the strategy especially with a team you expect to be as poor as WCU. You don't expect them to be able to run successfully enough time to get down the field and score often. Honestly that would be a pretty good strategy against our offense.

We made it easy to get 5-10 yards a play but you still expect a drop or bad pass or fumble mixed in to mess up the drive. I don't expect us to not blitz and press against other opponents though.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I think our players executed the scheme perfectly and dunkley was a strong tackler and even had an nfl caliber pass break up.  The scheme was soft by design and that was because they had a very mobile QB who could break off large runs.  He had none of those that I remember.  If that was the strategy they succeeded, it was just hard to watch.

One thing I take offense is that we have a lot of great linemen it seems yet we don't switch to a 4-3 look in the redzone, it just doesn't make sense.  Please tell me if I'm wrong.  I hope this doesn't continue throughout.

As I've said in previous posts I feel we don't have that stud buck LB who is strong like a DE yet moves like a LB.  Just noone on the roster like that now.  Vjax needs time to develop to run this defense appropriately.

Just my 2 cents after seeing the practices and viewing the game in person.

Edited by usfbullrider

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I think our players executed the scheme perfectly and dunkley was a strong tackler and even had an nfl caliber pass break up.  The scheme was soft by design and that was because they had a very mobile QB who could break off large runs.  He had none of those that I remember.  If that was the strategy they succeeded, it was just hard to watch.

One thing I take offense is that we have a lot of great linemen it seems yet we don't switch to a 4-3 look in the redzone, it just doesn't make sense.  Please tell me if I'm wrong.  I hope this doesn't continue throughout.

As I've said in previous posts I feel we don't have that stud buck LB who is strong like a DE yet moves like a LB.  Just noone on the roster like that now.  Vjax needs time to develop to run this defense appropriately.

Just my 2 cents after seeing the practices and viewing the game in person.

I don't think giving up 450 yards to an FCS team can EVER be viewed as successful.  They picked us apart, and we rarely stopped them.  Many times our DBs looked confused, when WCU was putting 3 WRs on one side.  A good team would sprint all 3, then let one go long, and the 2 break off routes.  Our guys were not ready, and we're lucky they didn't exploit worse.

What would they be confused about exactly?  This isn't rocket science.  They were just doing what they were coached to do.  That's actually a good thing.  Lets focus on Bresnahan implementing the 4-3 back in or we are all screwed.

What would they be confused about exactly?  This isn't rocket science.  They were just doing what they were coached to do.  That's actually a good thing.  Lets focus on Bresnahan implementing the 4-3 back in or we are all screwed.

If you watched the game and paid attention to the DBs, you'd see a few times when our guys were jumping up & down, pointing around.  We were on our heels far too often.

I didn't see much of that (jumping), but pointing happens quite a bit in football anyways, doesn't mean they are confused, just means they are communicating.

I want to see more coaching adjustments though it was too vanilla for me and the defense didn't bow up like it usually does once a team crosses the 50 yard line.  Same look the whole way through almost, I'd like to see the offense get settled down so we can use more timeouts when the defense is out there this year.

I didn't see much of that (jumping), but pointing happens quite a bit in football anyways, doesn't mean they are confused, just means they are communicating.

I want to see more coaching adjustments though it was too vanilla for me and the defense didn't bow up like it usually does once a team crosses the 50 yard line.  Same look the whole way through almost, I'd like to see the offense get settled down so we can use more timeouts when the defense is out there this year.

Fair enough.  I focused a lot on Dunk, to see how he'd do.  They just confused & short a few times.

I expected to see more stunts & blitzes (especially Byrd and Whitehurst, given their speed/hitting).  Maybe we were saving those looks, for MD.  Hope so.  We have ot take advantage of the speed/talent.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307

During the game, I was also reacting similarly and quite frankly freaking out about why we weren't making adjustments. But now after the game, it seems pretty easy to see that we were running a vanilla game plan. Certainly a big part of getting new players comfortable in a new scheme is running just a base defense. So we were in a simple call which just put players in position to make their reads and not give up the big play.

In the 3rd quarter when we actually needed to, we changed it up a little bit and shut them down. When the game was out of reach we went back to the base to continue getting our guys reps into the different looks and reads they will get from the standard defense that they are still learning.