• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Conference That Almost Was.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

ryan-seacrest-high-five-fail.gif

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Yea I remember that point in time and was actually expecting that to happen any day. The day never came unfortunately for us.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I think the problem with this scenario is that would have created the big 4 instead leaving five conferences. The only reason we have a chance right now because there are five conferences. 

I'm not sure I'm following ... how would there have only been 4 conferences?  Only difference between that and what we have now is there would be no AAC, right?  Other than UCF, everyone else would have been still in C-USA. 

Or am I missing something?

I think the point is, without Texas and Oklahoma, the BE/B12 merged conference would have still been demoted, just as the AAC was.

The rumour of the day had TX and Tech, OK and Okie State all going to the PAC

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think the problem with this scenario is that would have created the big 4 instead leaving five conferences. The only reason we have a chance right now because there are five conferences. 

I'm not sure I'm following ... how would there have only been 4 conferences?  Only difference between that and what we have now is there would be no AAC, right?  Other than UCF, everyone else would have been still in C-USA. 

I think the point is, without Texas and Oklahoma, the BE/B12 merged conference would have still been demoted, just as the AAC was.

Ok, that makes sense, but I'm not sure how definitively that could be said. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,115
  • Days Won:  7

Perhaps so, but Kansas State has been no slouch and would have been a headliner team. Louisville, TCU, and Cincy would have been power teams from the big East, and as much as I begrudge them, UCF too. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If the Big East had expanded with Louisville, Cincinnati, and us much earlier, Miami, VT, and BC would not have left.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

Orlando/usf need to form a coalition and presentation to big 12 powers and demonstrate the benefits of I-4 corridor joining big east

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091

4 teams go to pac 12 from big 12 would be good  for usf

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Orlando/usf need to form a coalition and presentation to big 12 powers and demonstrate the benefits of I-4 corridor joining big east

I'll humor this by saying that if there was money to be made by adding USF/UCF and existing B12 members would make MORE than they currently are by adding two more teams, they would have done so already. 

2 more teams would cut into the pie, and this is precisely the reason the B12 DOES NOT want to expand, any side benefits of having the I-4 corridor notwithstanding. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

BIG 12 is greedy man.   They don't care about any of that.  If they did they would have expanded already.  The hope would be at some point the BIG 12 has to at least add 2 more teams to get to 12.  Only thing with that is I read an article that said if the Big 12 was forced to have a championship game they would file a request to the NCAA to be able to have a championship game with just 10 teams.  Which if that went through the BIG 12 might never expand.  Least not anytime soon.  I think the league will probably wait a few years to see how this playoff deal works out.  If you're a USF fan I would root like heck for all the BIG 12 teams to get leap frogged or jumped at the end of the year so they miss the playoffs. Therefore, if that petition is denied and they have to have 12 teams for a championship game they will be forced to add at least 2 teams. In the mean time USF/UCF really need to climb up and win a lot of fball games to get themselves and keep themselves relevant in the national scene.  I'm not sure USF or UCF would be theri first choices but, if they keep winning big games on the field they will at least have a shot and must be considered.   Just my opinion,