• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan: we can't have 15,000 people in Ray-J and expect to jump to the Big 12."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

First public admission from USF that we want out of the AAC. Remeber how "committed" we were to the AAC a year ago lol.

Great point. I didn't even think of that before reading your post

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We always would have jumped to P5 if we had gotten the invite.  Just because we didn't say anything before doesn't mean we wouldn't have. 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  27

@Harlan.....you can't expect people to come watch us lose to McNeese State.  1st. Play big time programs anytime, anywhere, any place and the fans will be there. 2nd.  Think wayyyyy outside of the box and bulldoze suitcase city between Fowler and Fletcher and announce an OCS that seats 125k.  Now that would everbody in the country take notice that the bulls are back. 3rd...Forget the big 12...go ACC. You want people to show up but I don't think anybody is going to go to Iowa State. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

We always would have jumped to P5 if we had gotten the invite.  Just because we didn't say anything before doesn't mean we wouldn't have. 

Apparently Woolard overestimated the cognizant abilities of some of our fans ... Harlan's taking no chances.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

How many total alumni do we have, somewhere in the range of about 400,000? Even if every single one of the them started going to games and/or watching on TV, its not enough. Thats a lame excuse to cover for the obvious. We don't win in anything so we have to no casual fans. Casual fans are the difference. When the NCAA tournament comes along, I always end up adopting someone as my team. When I watch the College World Series, its the same thing. For years, a good friend of mine and I have joked about our "closet" favorite football teams. His is Oregon and mine is Nebraska. He said, "I don't know what the deal is, and it has nothing to do with the uniforms. They're on TV a lot, they play fun football, they're never going to really be a rival or clash with UF, they're my West Coast team." I understood what he was saying completely about adopting a second team for no reason. USF has done virtually nothing over the years to become anyone's "other" team. I'm sure their was someone who adopted us when we made our NCAA run a couple years back, but by vanishing from the sport since then, we fell of the map. Same with football. We need sustained success to bring in the casual viewers. The Big 12 doesn't care if 65,000 of our 400,000 fans come to the stadium. They do care if a bunch of kids in some other state start liking USF.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

They won't get more than 15,000 at games unless they start winning regularly.  Home has been a slaughterhouse for the USF Bulls in the last three years, that better change or their expectation of the fan base to support this team is flawed.

He understands that ...

AD @MarkHarlanUSF addresses conference talk, saying Bulls must win 1st. 'We can't have 15,000 people in RayJay & expect to jump to Big 12.'

Was just about to post that.

The meaning can be interpreted very differently than how gagged edited/posted it.

I thought it was really positive. Must be the way the Nancies read it.

He was saying that we all have to change that before we can go forward, wasn't laying it on the fans. It's the reality.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

First public admission from USF that we want out of the AAC. Remeber how "committed" we were to the AAC a year ago lol.

Great point. I didn't even think of that before reading your post

OH! Same here!

Great point.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

How many total alumni do we have, somewhere in the range of about 400,000? Even if every single one of the them started going to games and/or watching on TV, its not enough. Thats a lame excuse to cover for the obvious. We don't win in anything so we have to no casual fans. Casual fans are the difference. When the NCAA tournament comes along, I always end up adopting someone as my team. When I watch the College World Series, its the same thing. For years, a good friend of mine and I have joked about our "closet" favorite football teams. His is Oregon and mine is Nebraska. He said, "I don't know what the deal is, and it has nothing to do with the uniforms. They're on TV a lot, they play fun football, they're never going to really be a rival or clash with UF, they're my West Coast team." I understood what he was saying completely about adopting a second team for no reason. USF has done virtually nothing over the years to become anyone's "other" team. I'm sure their was someone who adopted us when we made our NCAA run a couple years back, but by vanishing from the sport since then, we fell of the map. Same with football. We need sustained success to bring in the casual viewers. The Big 12 doesn't care if 65,000 of our 400,000 fans come to the stadium. They do care if a bunch of kids in some other state start liking USF.

Not sure how accurate that is but, if it is, we need 16% of them to show up to fill Ray Jay every week. Less if you include people like me that aren't grads and still show.  Even if that number is 200K, assuming people are married and have kids, you don't need a huge percentage to at least fill the stadium.  I'm convinced that there is just something about the Tampa Bay area and sports that prevents teams from having huge followings.  Too many other things to do, transplants, many graduates being football fans of UF FSU or Miami when USF didn't have a program, etc.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,807

@Harlan.....you can't expect people to come watch us lose to McNeese State.  1st. Play big time programs anytime, anywhere, any place and the fans will be there. 2nd.  Think wayyyyy outside of the box and bulldoze suitcase city between Fowler and Fletcher and announce an OCS that seats 125k.  Now that would everbody in the country take notice that the bulls are back. 3rd...Forget the big 12...go ACC. You want people to show up but I don't think anybody is going to go to Iowa State. 

Uh Big 12 is a better footbal conference. Good luck with ACC Duke Wake Forest Boston College UNC and NC state football games. It is a diluted product. Big 12 has a better top to bottom Football conference with no slack games. Week in week out more excitement

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The most true 4 words combined that have been said on here many times:

Tampa loves a winner.

Win, and people will come.