• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLS TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Wait until the sport gets popular enough the media decides they need to say "American football" to avoid confusion...gonna happen at some point not too far off.

Why would they need to do that, when it's already called "soccer" here?  They already say "American football" pretty much everywhere else.

LOL, I already do, when speaking with foreign friends.

Agree with NC, it's only a matter of time.

Or maybe, we take a cue from down under, and call it "Ammy Rules"?

Matter of time = maybe when my grandkids are about to become grandparents ...

You are probably more cultured than 99% of us on this board, so how you refer to the sport doesn't really factor into the mainstream.  :)

This is where Leviathan's argument kicks in.  We are nowhere near calling soccer "football" in this country.  In the United States, football is played with a brown, oval-shaped ball that bounces funny and where you have to use your hands.  Period. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Wait until the sport gets popular enough the media decides they need to say "American football" to avoid confusion...gonna happen at some point not too far off.

Why would they need to do that, when it's already called "soccer" here?  They already say "American football" pretty much everywhere else.

You are probably more cultured than 99% of us on this board, so how you refer to the sport doesn't really factor into the mainstream.  :)

This is where Leviathan's argument kicks in.  We are nowhere near calling soccer "football" in this country.  In the United States, football is played with a brown, oval-shaped ball that bounces funny and where you have to use your hands.  Period. 

In slicks's argument, American football is outlawed.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We shall see, we shall see.

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I've been hearing how soccer is going to be so popular since the 70s.  It's the most played youth sport because it's the easiest for kids to play.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

I don't know why anyone would waste their time watching MLS when NBC already has great coverage of the Premier League.

I don't know why anyone would waste their time watching MLS when NBC already has great coverage of the Premier League.

Same reason you watch USF games even though NBC has great coverage of Notre Dame games.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I've been hearing how soccer is going to be so popular since the 70s.  It's the most played youth sport because it's the easiest for kids to play.

I've been attending US pro soccer games since the 70s.  The experience today is entirely different than the experience then.  When the Rowdies were packing them in, no one knew much about the game.  

Go to an Orlando City game today and people are discussing the tactics and strategy at a level not dreamed of in the 70s.  You have people in their 20s and 30s that grew up learning soccer from people that really know the game, not the way we did in the 70s when we had soccer dads that had never played the game trying to teach it.

It's taken longer than expected, but it really takes that long for a sport to truly develop.  Kids today are far more interested in watching a soccer game then they are watching a baseball game.  

Change is happening, and it's real.

Show me any statistic you can find where soccer viewership beats baseball. Any demographic of your choosing.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Show me any statistic you can find where soccer viewership beats baseball. Any demographic of your choosing.

Me, in my living room. But both are right at the bottom.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

And you will buy me a beer?