• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MLS TV Deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Anyone have thoughts on the MLS (Soccer) crushing the AACs TV deal?

90mil per year around 720 mil for 8 years with escalators

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So a little less than $5 million per year, per team? Whats the surprising part? They're a professional sports league that has twice as many teams and plays more than twice as many games. More inventory means more advertising space.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

I'm frankly unsurprised. MLS is steadily growing and I've often thought that they are going to be a top 3 sport replacing hockey or basketball within a couple of decades, especially with the demographics boom amongst Hispanics. It's my hope that it lifts the boat a bit at the collegiate level and USF soccer can at least become a semi-revenue sport. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'm frankly unsurprised. MLS is steadily growing and I've often thought that they are going to be a top 3 sport replacing hockey or basketball within a couple of decades, especially with the demographics boom amongst Hispanics. It's my hope that it lifts the boat a bit at the collegiate level and USF soccer can at least become a semi-revenue sport. 

I'm a little pissed the early years of MLS were such a mess and TB lost its chance with the Mutiny. The current MLS business model is pretty solid.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm a little pissed the early years of MLS were such a mess and TB lost its chance with the Mutiny. The current MLS business model is pretty solid.

I was more pissed that FIFA made us move the offsides line (early 80's, maybe?).

All of a sudden 5-4 games went back to 1-0 games and popularity of the NASL fell off a cliff.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I was more pissed that FIFA made us move the offsides line (early 80's, maybe?).

All of a sudden 5-4 games went back to 1-0 games and popularity of the NASL fell off a cliff.

The offsides line at the 35 was cool, opened the game up a bit.  But I can understand FIFA not wanting to mess with that.  That really did change the flow of the game significantly.  For better or worse it would be difficult to convince the entire world of the need to change that.

What I don't understand was FIFA not absorbing the hockey style shootout instead of PKs.  I'm ok with PKs for fouls inside the penalty box.  Those should be converted at a high rate.  But deciding a game on PKs is kind of ridiculous.  Giving a player five seconds to advance and shoot from the 35 makes for a much more exciting and much more skill to determine the outcome of a game.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Yeah, its a no brainer when the business model starts off with leeching off the tax payer for stadium funds and/or public land.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

MLS will never be big in the US.

Such a waste of money to build new stadiums.

Edited by Leviathan

So a little less than $5 million per year, per team? Whats the surprising part? They're a professional sports league that has twice as many teams and plays more than twice as many games. More inventory means more advertising space.

Assumption.

Soccer has lead in + halftime + post game ad space

a football game has maybe 10x (maybe more) the ad opportunity.

MLS will never be big in the US.

Such a waste of money to build new stadiums.

So confused -- it is literally blowing up... 5X tv deal increase?