• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball: Rutgers 12 USF 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Goodbye Prado

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

Prado won 2 Division II national championships at Tampa before heading to Louisville.

Right. I know that, but it wasn't my question.

How can a place like UT pull SO much talent? Why did Trey Oest transfer from UVA to UT instead of USF? Giovanny Alfonzo transfer from FSU? Sean O'Brien from FSU? J.C. Coban from Penn State?  

Is it because they can play right away? These kids weren't bums on their previous teams...they were starting. If kids like these were to set up shop at USF instead of UT, we'd be a tourney team.

I'm certainly no expert, but I suppose that there might be an assumption that the talent level is different, on the whole.  I think that at the D1 level you have to walk the fine recruiting line between great college players and "draftable" players.  In D2, you probably can develop team chemistry, as fewer players decide to go pro while still in college and whose prospective professional skills were either not evident in high school or develop while in college.

Prado came to UT, which was a baseball powerhouse, and did well.  He also seemed to do well at Louisville, which also had a reputation that preceded him.  Perhaps his flaw is that he can't build a program into one with that reputation.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Prado won 2 Division II national championships at Tampa before heading to Louisville.

How can a place like UT pull SO much talent? Why did Trey Oest transfer from UVA to UT instead of USF? Giovanny Alfonzo transfer from FSU? Sean O'Brien from FSU? J.C. Coban from Penn State?  

Is it because they can play right away? These kids weren't bums on their previous teams...they were starting. If kids like these were to set up shop at USF instead of UT, we'd be a tourney team.

I wrote about this earlier...nearly EVERY Florida school pulls better talent than USF at Baseball.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Meanwhile UTampa is 47-2 (setting an NCAA record winning percentage) and headed to their NCAA's again.....I think they'd take us 2 out of 3 (probably 3 out of 3) no prob.

How can a school 15 mins away be so elite (Yes I know they are D2) but USF be so bad?!?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a second here.

UT is AT LEAST 20 minutes away.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

I wrote about this earlier...nearly EVERY Florida school pulls better talent than USF at Baseball.

Don't recall that thread. How did you measure the talent? 

Just to clarify, Oest and O'Brien weren't starters. There was a coaching change at PSU that may have affected Coban ... Alfonzo is a head scratcher, though. I think the playing right away is probably the key factor, and UT is a pretty nice little university, in a great location ... and you can still get to the pros if that's your goal.  Here's a 2013 Baseball America article by our own Greg Auman about UT and the transfers in:  

TAMPA—Joe Urso proudly admits that his University of Tampa baseball roster is speckled with players he recruited but couldn't land out of high school. He knows the conversation well. Best of luck, he'll say, and hang onto my phone number.

As the 2013 Spartans try to build on a tradition of Division II success, Urso will do so with a handful of bounce-back kids—players who signed with major Division I programs, only to transfer back close to home to play for the Spartans.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/college/on-campus/2013/2614756.html

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

How can a place like UT pull SO much talent? Why did Trey Oest transfer from UVA to UT instead of USF? Giovanny Alfonzo transfer from FSU? Sean O'Brien from FSU? J.C. Coban from Penn State?

Is it because they can play right away? These kids weren't bums on their previous teams...they were starting. If kids like these were to set up shop at USF instead of UT, we'd be a tourney team.

Winning

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Just to clarify, Oest and O'Brien weren't starters. There was a coaching change at PSU that may have affected Coban ... Alfonzo is a head scratcher, though. I think the playing right away is probably the key factor, and UT is a pretty nice little university, in a great location ... and you can still get to the pros if that's your goal.  Here's a 2013 Baseball America article by our own Greg Auman about UT and the transfers in:  

TAMPA—Joe Urso proudly admits that his University of Tampa baseball roster is speckled with players he recruited but couldn't land out of high school. He knows the conversation well. Best of luck, he'll say, and hang onto my phone number.

As the 2013 Spartans try to build on a tradition of Division II success, Urso will do so with a handful of bounce-back kids—players who signed with major Division I programs, only to transfer back close to home to play for the Spartans.

Trip, I get that Oest and O'Brien weren't starters...but a quick peek at the UT website tells me:

Oest was 5-0 as a freshman in the ACC with 12 mound appearances (some of those in the NCAA Tourney). Thats GREAT for a freshman.

O'Brien played in 20 games for FSU as a freshman, and 15 as a sophmore. This is for arguably the best baseball school in the country.

We would kill for kids like these to play at USF.

They have about 7 D1 big time baseball transfers. Can they play right away and not sit out a year like in football? Is that why they come and play DII ball? And how can we have a national champion DII team with mostly homegrown talent right down the road...but not a phenomenal DI team at USF? Where is the local recruiting? I know we have a lot of Tampa kids on the roster and mostly FL kids to boot, but man...I just dont get it.

Edited by Hem

How can a place like UT pull SO much talent? Why did Trey Oest transfer from UVA to UT instead of USF? Giovanny Alfonzo transfer from FSU? Sean O'Brien from FSU? J.C. Coban from Penn State?

Is it because they can play right away? These kids weren't bums on their previous teams...they were starting. If kids like these were to set up shop at USF instead of UT, we'd be a tourney team.

Winning

Baseball's not alone then ...

Trip, I get that Oest and O'Brien weren't starters...but a quick peek at the UT website tells me:

Oest was 5-0 as a freshman in the ACC with 12 mound appearances. Thats GREAT for a freshman.

O'Brien played in 20 games for FSU as a freshman, and 15 as a sophmore. This is for arguably the best baseball school in the country.

We would kill for kids like these to play at USF.

Look at this roster, look at how many D1 transfers they have playing. It's no wonder they're stomping everyone into oblivion.

# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. B/T Hometown/Previous School 2 Giovanny Alfonzo SS 5-11 185 Jr. R/R Port St. Lucie, Fla./Florida State University 4 Orlando Rivera 2B 5-8 155 Jr. L/R Orlando, Fla./State College of Florida 5 Tyler York C 6-1 200 Jr. R/R Tallahassee, Fla./Leon HS 6 Chris Pagliarulo OF/1B 6-0 190 Jr. L/L Tampa, Fla./Boston College/Jesuit HS 8 Preston Packrall RHP 6-1 190 Sr. R/R Tampa, Fla./High Point Univ./Clearwater Central Catholic HS 9 Chase Sparkman LHP 6-0 160 Jr. L/L Brandon, Fla./Polk State College 10 Brad Hencke LHP 6-1 175 So. R/L Land O'Lakes, Fla./Land O'Lakes HS 11 Michael Calkins LHP 6-4 220 So. L/L Oneonta, N.Y./Oneonta HS 12 Tyler Ding UT 5-11 190 Sr. R/R Tampa, Fla./Alonso HS 13 Jacob Tillotson 3B 5-11 195 Sr. S/R Lake City, Fla./Santa Fe College/Columbia HS 15 Brett Jones OF/RHP 6-0 170 Jr. L/R Plant City, Fla./Polk State College 16 Dylan Barrow RHP 6-3 205 Jr. R/R Brandon, Fla./Santa Fe College/Durant HS 17 Jake Mielock RHP 6-4 220 Fr. R/R Safety Harbor, Fla./Countryside HS 18 Michael Danner OF 5-10 185 Sr. L/R Tampa, Fla./Polk State College/Gaither HS 19 Stephen Dezzi OF 6-1 190 Jr. L/R Sarasota, Fla./Riverview HS 20 Sean O'Brien UT 6-2 205 Sr. R/R Clearwater, Fla./Florida State University/Clearwater HS 23 Zach Gawrych OF 6-1 205 Sr. R/R Tampa, Fla./Wharton HS 24 Domenic Millan INF 5-9 170 Jr. R/R Tampa, Fla./Hillsborough CC 25 Trey Oest RHP 6-3 205 So. R/R Brandon, Fla./University of Virginia 26 Conner Andrews RHP 6-4 240 So. R/R Kittery, Maine/IMG Academy 27 Quinn Pippin INF 6-3 210 Sr. L/R St. Petersburg, Fla./Tulane University/McLean HS 28 Logan LaPace RHP 6-0 170 Fr. R/R Lutz, Fla./Steinbrenner HS 29 Taylor Brookes RHP 6-2 180 Jr. R/R Sanford, Fla./Brevard College 30 Marcus Crescentini RHP 6-4 225 Jr. R/R Wesley Chapel, Fla./Indian River State College/Wesley Chapel HS 31 Mark Wilush RHP 6-0 175 So. R/R Oakville, Ontario/Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School 32 David Heintz RHP 6-4 235 So. R/R Tampa, Fla./Bishop McLaughlin HS 33 Connor Obrochta OF 6-0 195 Sr. R/R Gulfport, Fla./St. Petersburg Catholic HS 35 J.C. Coban C 6-0 195 Jr. R/R Boca Raton, Fla./Penn State University 39 Dalton Hughes C 6-1 185 So. R/R St. Petersburg, Fla./Canterbury School 40 Jimmy Hodgskin LHP 6-3 195 Jr. R/L Windemere, Fla./Troy University/Bishop Moore HS 42 Nick Tindall C/1B 6-4 210 Jr. R/R O'Fallon, Ill./Quincy University/O'Fallon Township HS 43 Kevin McNorton RHP 6-6 200 Sr. R/R Columbiana, Ala./Stillman College 44 Ben Johnson UT 5-10 195 Sr. R/R Newington, N.H./Saint Thomas Aquinas HS

Agree completely that most appeared to be rising but, like with most things involved with kids at this age, there's no trying to figure out why they left ... but I think the biggest reason they chose UT over us, or any other D1, was the immediate playtime ... The UT roster is definitely impressive. Check out Greg's article about UT and the transfers.