• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So now that Harlan appears to be clear...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

I'd like to say that even though I'm not the biggest fan of this hire, I'm now behind Harlan 110%. I think of this like the start of conference play in football-what's the past is the past, it's a new season now and we have a new chance to make things ours. 

Will I be upset if he messes up? yes. But is he the right hire? Well, if Dr. Genshaft and the committee believe he is, then we're not in a position to judge. Mark Harlan's record at USF is 0-0. He has done nothing wrong here. He's also done nothing right. 

I pray for him, because this is one of the toughest jobs in America right now. USF is currently in a major backslide. FSU and Miami are resurgent, and make no mistake, Florida will be back. We are behind that program to the east, woefully behind. I do not envy Harlan's position as he attempts to rebuild USF athletics. 

Harlan walks into a situation with massive debt, rather high coaching salaries, currently noncompetitive major sports,  and a reduced revenue forecast for the foreseeable future. He also has great Olympic facilities, a nice state to live in, and a fair weather community that will pack Raymond James Stadium and the Sun Dome if we win. 

Make no mistake-he believes he can fix this, and that perhaps is the biggest thing. I patient won't die until he decides he can't live anymore. We're not dead yet. We can still be that famous dragon slayer, that beautiful green and gold school in the sun. 

Mark Harlan, it is your time, you can make it happen. 

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

I am hoping and think he may be a home run hire. If anything, he comes from an environment that competes with several pro teams, a transient community, a community that has fans from other schools, and a city where you have more choices to spend your money/time. Just from what I see in Atlanta, I think GT/GSU have a hard time getting respect from the casual fan.

• Upvote 1

I am hoping and think he may be a home run hire. If anything, he comes from an environment that competes with several pro teams, a transient community, a community that has fans from other schools, and a city where you have more choices to spend your money/time. Just from what I see in Atlanta, I think GT/GSU have a hard time getting respect from the casual fan.

Very good point, and perhaps one that we've missed over the past couple of weeks. LA has a lot of things to do with your time. Tampa's of course not as big as LA, but let's face it-there are plenty of other options for your entertainment dollars. The Bucs, Lightning, Rays, the beaches, Publix wings and subs...the list goes on. 

Maybe we won't ever be as big as the Bucs unless we win multiple conference championships in football-but we can darn well try. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

To be clear, I 100% agree with the sentiment. That being said, I will absolutely be looking for him to indicate that he is interested in doing the right things with this program. We all have our wish list and the things we know to objectively need attention. So to reiterate, I on board and think the guy has a lot of upside. However, I need to know that he understands what position we are in and what he intends to do about it. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Joey Johnston â€@JJohnstonTBO 

New #USF AD Mark Harlan says he's not afraid to make decisions and make changes. Says there will likely be changes needed. Wasn't specific

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'm at the press conference now; I'll take notes and post as the happen

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

So with all the rantings and ravings about whether this is a good hire or not, what is the time frame for understanding if it is or is not and what are you looking for to decide if it is or isn't?

Are we just looking at wanting to build winning teams?  What is a winning team that deems success?  Are we happy to be back to those 9-4 years in the first couple of years.  do we need to make the tournament 2 or 3 years in row? to deem sit was a successful hire?

The way some act around here if we aren't considered for a P5 conference soon it doesn't matter what the records are, some will deem it a failed hire.  

Just curious what the sentiments are.  

So with all the rantings and ravings about whether this is a good hire or not, what is the time frame for understanding if it is or is not and what are you looking for to decide if it is or isn't?

Are we just looking at wanting to build winning teams?  What is a winning team that deems success?  Are we happy to be back to those 9-4 years in the first couple of years.  do we need to make the tournament 2 or 3 years in row? to deem sit was a successful hire?

The way some act around here if we aren't considered for a P5 conference soon it doesn't matter what the records are, some will deem it a failed hire.  

Just curious what the sentiments are.  

For me? It has to be three years. 

Why? I think the realignment bandwagon will be starting up again in 2 years after the Big 12 realizes it needs to have a CCG to protect their changes at a national championship. They will be looking for the best programs that can move the needle. Right now UCF is unfortunately a better take for them. So is CIncinatti. Our major programs are at the bottom of their sports. That will not help us get into a P5 conference. Winning will. We already have shown that should we win, the stadium will be full. Not only that, but the late 2000s early '10s showed we had a quality rival that is already there in West Virginia with multiple very well attended games. We need to beat UCF at least twice as well and win a conference championship, plus finish the season ranked. in football, accompanied by making the basketball post season at least 2 out of three yeaers (14, 15, 16). Do that and we will be in the Big 12-our attendance will surely be good enough, in addition to our already excellent facilities and campus to warrant inclusion. 

The only thing that holds us back is if the Big 12 moves quickly. I'm still worried that suddenly in the middle of April they'll make an announcement, and we will essentially be relegated long term to FIU/FAU status. 

But we need to be back big time within three years or Mark Harlan will be looking like a failure to me. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,424
  • Days Won:  19

Hopefully the Big 12 will evaluate USF (and other schools) over the long-term, rather than just the previous season.

And yes, they did pick up TCU - jumping away from the Big East - after one really amazing season. Of course other major factors impacted that decision (especially audience and location), but it also helped for their program to be on an upswing.