• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who gets hired first?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

As USF bball fan just curious what type of program do you guys expect to have?   Consistent NIT team with an occasional NCAA appearance?  Just wondering the USF fan expectations.

A very intelligent question....most on this board think USF has the absolute right to think NCAA every year.  very few teams go every year and it takes steps to get to that level.  NIT 3 out of 5 years with 1 NCAA would be great then move up the expectation from there.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

For those arguing AGAINST our youth, remember that he American Conference's LEADING SCORER (Perry) among Freshman isn't even a fulltime starter yet. Egbunu starts most games.

If Holston can light it up from the perimeter, that will leave the paint even more open for our young bigs. Every time we get the ball in the paint, there are 3 or 4 players collapsing because they know we don't have an inside-out game. And Perry's STILL the leading scorer.

Says a lot about how good we MIGHT become with an outside game.

I'm not arguing against the youth and their talent...I'm arguing how much the youth plays into the issues we have this season.

a program like ours (and most in the country) need experienced talent in order to succeed. there are only a few programs that can bring in talented youth and win. even they have a hard time without some experienced leadership at key positions.

the problem isn't our talented youth, it's the lack of talented experienced players(upperclassmen) that hurts us.

sure they may be our leading scorers as they are expected to be but that doesn't mean they are all that talented.

You can't blame the losing on our youth.

I think they are just saying that we have talented youth that will someday grow into that experienced talent that we will need to win in the future.

I think you need to blame the losing  on our lack of talent in our experienced players.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

I hear ya but, one thing to expect and what reality is.  If those are what you expect you're going to be a disappointed fan almost every year.

As for me, I want to see a consistent NCAA team with occasional conference and national championships. No different from most Cardinal fans, really.

"expecting" anything less is giving up before even starting the race.

Edited by redbird2001

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I hear ya but, one thing to expect and what reality is.  If those are what you expect you going to be a disappointed fan almost every year.

As for me, I want to see a consistent NCAA team with occasional conference and national championships. No different from most Cardinal fans, really.

I seriously mean no offense and you are a great poster and I'm glad you wander by from time to time.  But on this point, I have to say that I think this is kind of ridiculous.

The team goals every year should be NCAA tournament.  The team should be working towards that.  If I am a very high level booster, maybe my expectation has some influence.   For the rest of us, expectation doesn't mean anything.  As a fan, I can "expect" national championships, but it will have zero effect on the team.  Ergo, my expectation should not be causing the team to give up before the season starts.

If the team is creating their attitude or goals based on my expectation, then the team has serious issues.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I hear ya but, one thing to expect and what reality is. If those are what you expect you going to be a disappointed fan almost every year.

For real. We are not the Cardinals with their 80+M athletic budget and their brand new 20+k seating filled to capacity arena. We don't have their top 10 all time college basketball coach. We don't have their long history of being a top flight program.

We are a program that has 3 or 4 twenty plus win campaigns in our whole basketball history. For a program like Louisville 20 wins are expected.

20 or more wins 3 times ever....

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Of course the kids or kids on every team have those expectations every year but, to keep yourself sane as a fan you know what reality is and isn't....at least you would hope so anyway. Maybe I worded my question wrong.  Of course long term you would like to see USF get into the NCAA tourney on most years at least.  Maybe compete for conference championships of course.  We both know that isn't happening anytime soon.  I think USF has been to 1 NCAA tourney and 20 plus years and has never won a conference championship in bball.  So that;s why I said you're going to be a disappointed fan for most years if those are your expectations each year.  I was just thinking would the fan base be happy if they consistently had a coach and team that consistently went to the NIT and occasional NCAA tourney as far as the short term goes..

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Of course the kids or kids on every team have those expectations every year but, to keep yourself sane as a fan you know what reality is and isn't....at least you would hope so anyway. Maybe I worded my question wrong.  Of course long term you would like to see USF get into the NCAA tourney on most years at least.  Maybe compete for conference championships of course.  We both know that isn't happening anytime soon.  I think USF has been to 1 NCAA tourney and 20 plus years and has never won a conference championship in bball.  So that;s why I said you're going to be a disappointed fan for most years if those are your expectations each year.  I was just thinking would the fan base be happy if they consistently had a coach and team that consistently went to the NIT and occasional NCAA tourney as far as the short term goes..

realisticlly I think 1 NCAA tourney and maybe 1  NIT every 4 years should be our goal at this point.

I still think there will be times where we miss on a class or have injuries like we have this go around. obviously you won't reach your goals if that is the case.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

realisticlly I think 1 NCAA tourney and maybe 1  NIT every 4 years should be our goal at this point.

Not sure I'd use the word 'goal' there. Goals aren't for fans, they're for teams/players and the goal for the team/players EVERY year should be making the NCAA's. Obviously not going to happen more often than not at this point but that should be the goal heading into the season.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I love these kind of discussions.  Great stuff to talk about during the offseason.

That said, I agree with Bull Martin.  The question is preposterous.  We will have a new AD first, and Stan is NOT going anywhere after this year. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It would be an improvement over what we have now, so I would be "happier" but not "happy" if you get what I mean.

And the comments from other folks about what the players should expect v. what we fans might want or expect are spot on.

EVERY year, the players' goals should be 1. conference championship and 2. NCAA bid